1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Epic grabs Metro Exodus from Steam

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 29 Jan 2019.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Complete topic shift, but this has been on my mind since having to install Windows a fistful of times over the last month or so: when did we start accepting that it was OK to spend £180 on an operating system and then have adverts in it? Adverts you can't turn off? Oh, sure, you can turn off ad-tracking and personalisation - but even Microsoft admits that those settings have no bearing on the number of ads you see.

I don't want any adverts in my operating system. When I click on the Start Menu, I want to see a list of applications installed on my computer - not a list of things I might like to buy on the Microsoft Store. That can get right in the chuffin' sea.

I mean, Canonical did similar by adding Amazon to the search results in Ubuntu a while back - but you can both turn that fully off and I paid nothing for the operating system, so I give it a grudging pass.

monty-pup likes this.
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Yeah, maybe they're trying to change the attitude to the one people have towards online TV subscription services. I mean you still get some adverts with them.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Aye, but at least you can time-shift and skip 'em on there.

adidan likes this.
  4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Right click the ad, unpin from start, pin to start a bunch of stuff you actually use, done.

Don't get me wrong, it is still an unnecessary extra step, but unlike the stupid cortana infestation you can at least quickly get rid of it.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I recently decided to give NowTV a try, mainly because I wanted to do a full rewatch of The Sopranos and £8 a month is a bit cheaper than £50 for the box set on DVD. Imagine my delight when I discovered that, despite paying NowTV good money for their service, I have to sit through a two-minute advert for Sky every time I go to start watching. And it can't be skipped.

monty-pup likes this.
  6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Really?

Sometimes I have about a 30 second advert but not always and not for two minutes. I wonder if watching via the PS4 app makes any difference?

7. Gareth Halfacree

There are adverts on Amazon Prime Instant Video, too, which annoys the snot out of me - and while they're skippable, there's a bigger issue: they keep putting those former Top Gear idiots on my screen... Against the Geneva Convention, surely?

monty-pup likes this.
Tags: Add Tags