1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epiphany *update 16/1/2004 -panel cut*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Naked_Dave, 4 Jan 2004.

1. Dragosoft

Dragosoft What's a Dremel?

Hey C'mon!
    Post them.. nobody won't laugh :worried:

2. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave What's a Dremel?

:hehe:
    Thats kinda what i'm afraid of!

3. Naked_Dave

[​IMG]

After a fair bit of filing, it looks a bit better... somehow i'd managed to cut one side of the cutout for the switch half the size of the other!

4. Dragosoft

It's looking fine... but still :dremel:

5. Naked_Dave

God, getting a credit card has got to be the worst decision i've ever made... I've already spent £200 on this project, and don't have any of the real components except for the optical drive! :rolleyes:

6. Naked_Dave

Just ordered a holesaw too, which should make cutting the front fan holes much easier... after my recent performances i was dreading using a dremel! :worried:

7. Dragosoft

Good, holesaw is the best way to make blowholes (it depens what materials...) I use dremel only for little jobs :worried:

8. Naked_Dave

Gad, just finished filing the front panel and lapping the waterblock! *collapses*
    My arms haven't had that much of a workout since i was 14! *crude :hehe: *

9. Naked_Dave

Well the holesaw has arrived, but i'm having great problems with it... my drill press doesn't go nearly slow enough, and i actually don't have an ordinary electric drill, so i'm having to use a hand drill! Probably should hae checked the speeds before i bought it! It will get done, but its going to take a while... more pics coming as soon as its done. Sorry about the delays.

10. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

You should just be able to put the drill press on a dimmer to slow it down. Someone should second that though cuz i dont want to be responsible for a busted press.

11. Naked_Dave

Doesn't seem to work. Theres a switch inside that stops the motor running on anything other than direct from the mains.

12. Naked_Dave

I've just finished cutting the holes (by hand - wasn't as bad as i thought), but my cameras batteries are flat, so i can't upload pics until they're finished charging. Shouldn't be long until the next update, unless i fall asleep! :worried: (its 3:25 am)

13. Otto's

Otto's What's a Dremel?

:D Good Job...Keep going !

14. Naked_Dave

Ok, here, finally, is an update!

The front panel cutouts are finally finished. It took me about an hour of constant work with a manual drill to cut the fan holes, but they look a lot better than i could have done with the dremel, so i guess it was worth it. Anyway, on to the pics.

The panel, just after i'd finished cutting:
    [​IMG]

I put the fan grill underneath as well to get an idea of whether it would look as good as i'd hoped... I think it does, or at least it will when its all lit up! The black shape at the bottom will be the on switch.
    [​IMG]

Just a quick shot of the optical drive i'll be using. The button is shown again next it it. Its just a piece of 3mm plexi (used to be a maplin window kit - its the only place i can get the stuff! :D ) vinyl dyed on one side. The sides are still clear, so it will glow when the computer is on.
    [​IMG]

15. Naked_Dave

For various reasons (ok, i just couldn't be bothered, sue me!), i've decided not to use the proximity sensor at this time, although i may introduce it later, after everything is put together. Instead i'm going to use the same kind of vandal switch i used for redemption... spose i might as well go do that now actually :dremel:

16. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

looking good man :)

17. Naked_Dave

:wallbash:
    Now at least one, and maybe both, of the fans are broken. I knew it was strange that something i'd modded worked when i put it back together! They were just waiting to lull me into a false sense of security, ready to pounce. Bar stewards!

Guess i'm back to the shops soon then... just as soon as my credit card is paid off heh

18. Naked_Dave

[​IMG] <-- Dude, i know!

19. Jpantoga

Jpantoga What's a Dremel?

had to censor it didnt you. SHUCKS!

20. Naked_Dave

Using my 100th post to make an announcement :

Project Epiphany is officially closed. Too many things have gone wrong with it, and had to be changed, that i just don't feel like continuing this log. I'm carrying on with the project, but i won't be putting up any updates until its finished. Thanks to everyone who read and gave support.

We will return!