1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Europe gets stiffed again - this time it's Zune.

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 31 Oct 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Wow.. maybe I'm just paying more attention/more aware of it now, but it seems we're getting stiffed more and more these days -- as tho it's an accepted practice!

/sigh

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Why are companies ignoring Europe so much? With an EU population of about 460 million people, most of which living in countries where people have some decent disposible income, it seems crazy that companies are basicly treating the largest market in the world as one to supply stuff to when they get around to it.

Not that I mind about Zune, wasn't gonna buy an MS DRM'd product anyway, but it does irk me somewhat that Europe is getting ripped off and treated like crap again and again. A market of this size should not get treated so poorly.

4. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Ooooh yippeee, overpriced, low resolution video to watch on a miniscule screen. Can't wait.
    Couldn't agree more mate. We do get stuffed time and time again here. I don't understand how it can possibly make sound business sense, especially with the strength of the € vs US$ - US companies in particular should be shipping tons of stuff over here to take advantage of what, to them, is a very advantageous export proposition.

5. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I can't pretend to understand why people are so upset. You're actually anxious to buy media you can only play on one device? Which will be pointlessly overpriced?

Mugs.

-P

6. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

It's a matter of principle. A lot of us in Europe (and the UK in particular) are pretty fed up getting things later than Japan and the US, with considerably higher prices (despite favourable exchange rates)

7. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Just as mclean007 said - it's not about the products per se, it's the principle of the matter.

The fact that it's a common practice to merely "skip" over Europe as tho we're just a small, incoherent mass of nobodys. And when they do decide to "grace" us with their products, their more often that not highly over priced -- as tho it's a special effort to make things available for us so let's charge them more. Especially the UK.

And if no one b1tches and instead stays quiet and compliant, then nothing ever changes.

8. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

christmas 2007!!! :eeek: :eeek:

i thought it was supposed to be xmas 2006. sod this im gonna import a us one, and i dont care if the music store doesnt work im hardly going to be buying microsoft music anyway

9. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Maybe I'll go into business shipping stuff to the UK for you poor souls. I could use the profits to build a better linux box :D

10. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

> And when they do decide to "grace" us with their products, their more often
    > that not highly over priced -- as tho it's a special effort to make things
    > available for us so let's charge them more. Especially the UK.

So why bloody well buy them then? Is your life incomplete without a Microsoft branded MP3 player?

Buy some noname and have done with it.

-P

11. Sord_Fish

Sord_Fish What's a Dremel?

thats a bummer was hoping to get one for xmas.
    I guess its time to look for another player. :sigh:

12. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Sorry for all over in the UK. You guys always seem to get stiffed by some company or another. I am in the states. Just wondering does this have anything to do with different import laws into the UK or some other deal such as this. Otherwise I cannot see any good reason why products would be delayed for the UK :confused:

13. alastor

alastor Minimodder

You could, but only until you get sued and go bankrupt...

There isn't any reason that I can think of except that they can't be bothered with the EU until they've got Japan and the US sorted out. The fact that they haven't even got a team working on the licensing yet seems to confirm this.

:sigh:

14. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

I've lived in the US my entire life (never been outside the country)...and I too was wondering why the EU always gets neglected. Looking around, though, I do wonder if the average US citizen is just that much of a "buy-everything consumer whore" that we're just the easiest market for any fresh-out-of-the-prototype-stage product a company can come up with.

I'm thinking that:
    Perhaps in order to get a product going in the EU, companies feel like they should put some effort into clever advertising, double-checking their quality control, etc. Here in the US, I think there's plenty of people who'll buy ANYTHING new just because it's sitting on a shelf at their local Best Buy -- doesn't matter what it does, how much it costs, or even if it works correctly.

I don't know how things are in the EU, but just about everybody in the US is 7-paychecks-deep in credit-card debt that keeps growing -- and it's not because food and gas cost so much, but because they just "have to have" every toy thats on a shelf somewhere or that one of their friends has or that their kid "really wants." Somewhere along the line, American's stopped teaching their children that "discretionary spending" is supposed to include some discretion.

Am I way off? Do any of you guys in the UK/EU feel the same way about folks around you?

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

The UK is a nation of debtors, like the US I guess. However the average UK person seems more likely to be in debt due to house prices then most other things. Perhaps you are indeed correct that US customers are less discerning then the average continental european customer(I'd include UK buyers, but I know plenty of people who buy any old crap just because they have credit left to use).

16. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

I should think the sheer number of languages the market is split into is something of a factor, but even that shouldn't be a reason for either more than a slight price hike or slight delays (there are companys who deal exclusively in sorting that aren't there ?)

A year delay is getting a bit silly.

17. Icecoldbagey

Icecoldbagey Mountain Dew!!!

So if i imported one which i dont plan on doing, i couldnt purchase music for it? Oh no! I always pay for my music...oh well... : /

Ice

18. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Theres plenty of stuff I want but I dont like going into debt more than I have to to pay for school. I wondered why you guys who have always gotten some things, mostly cell phones, so much sooner then when we get them over here. Now the eu gets the ps3 psp zune later than the rest of the world.

And the only reason Im 5 paychecks deep in credit card is because they are small paychecks and tires were needed now. :D

19. Grinch123456

Grinch123456 What's a Dremel?

As far as the Zune goes, you fellows aren't missing much. Don't worry, when life gives you lemons, squeeze them in someone's eyes and enjoy!

Tags: Add Tags