1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage EXTREME ...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kim, 18 Apr 2022.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I heard the ointment is more expensive /g than saffron

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

The AWS cost and usage report is so complex and convoluted that it could be one of the line items and nobody would ever question it.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I do wonder how many people actually sit down and work out what cloud is costing them vs doing it on site sometimes.

I know of a customer that used 365, and wanted to back that up - And went to Azure storage to do it. Problem is, the backup (even incremental) ran for so long that Azure stuff never actually got to shut down.

They ran for long enough like that that the cost went above what they'd comfortably pay and the whole backup project got scrapped. I think they could have had on-prem storage for it for less than they dicked into the void.

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

There's doing it right, and doing it wrong. They were doing it wrong. A lot of companies somehow still think "cloud" is doing whatever they've been doing for the last 20 years in the exact same way except now it lives in AWS et al. And they fail miserably.

Byron C likes this.
  5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Oh, no doubt. Doing cloud stuff right requires a change in approach. I'm just not convinced as many people as hear about cloud services can actually make that change, let alone understand it.