1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Family + Modding don't mix

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Hiren, 3 Feb 2003.

1. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

i must be lucky, my mums 5'1 and im 6'3, so i can put things out of the way, and if im busy the place rarely gets vacuum'd, tho i have managed to keep the floor generally tidy, the desk is a ntoher matter.

I dont think my mum would Mr Sheen pcb's or anything like that, there have been expensive bits of kit around the house for years. Hasselblad cameras, model motor and sailing boats, BBC's, ranodm electronic stuff, and now a few pcs.

I actually managed to take my mum through changing the battery on my laptop over the phoneit took 15 minutes but it did eventually get done. she can operate a pc, although i do wonder sometimes, she did a course over a number of weeks, a few hours a week on computing basics (office, outlook, IE etc) and i asked her to shut down my computer as i was running late for college, and she said "how?" they didnt teach them to use the start menu on this course, apparently they had an icon on the desktop to double click and shut down the machine. Other than that, stuf gets picked, dusted under,a nd replaced,

Powertools have a tendancy to break round here too, and go missing. Dad gets phone calls at work along the lines of
    <mum> how do you change the jigsaw blade?
    <dad> why?
    <mum> its broken
    <dad> how?
    <mum> i was cutting a piece of wood
    <dad> what are you doing
    <mum> do you want to know?
    <dad> tell me

this usually ends up with him hearing about how she's on top of the shed roof, or behind the shed having gone over or under the fence. Can be handy tho, she helped me put my surround speakers up few years back using a hammer action drill. i gave up cos it wasnt going furhter in and i thought i had hit some steel reinforcing rods in the contrete lintle (i hadn't). Kinda surprising tho when you come in and find something changed

2. Altron

Altron Minimodder

My dad is furious with us sharing an office, I compalin the desk isn't strong enough for my 120 pounds of CRTs and stereo components, he complains I have too many CRTs and audio crap.

So this weekend I am relocating to the basement where I will ahve a ton of room and peace and quiet.

My dad is okay with me doing my own computer things, like he went and got me some speakers for the speakers I am building. I feel sad because I know he spent awhile looking for them,a nd he brings home two small speakers with clear plastic cones for "that project in the basement" and I am down there making 400 watt subwoofers and don't ahve any use for them. It makes me sad thinking about it. I will probably make them some small boxes and give him a cool fathers day gift :p

3. Phat Ass

what are your acrylic skills like, some clear cone speakers in clear boxes wold look fairly good if you put an alu box around the driver unit. Saw some floor standing, single cone, lime green tinted clear speakers. look wierd, in green, might have been the green background behind them but the definatly seem to actually be green.

4. Altron

Altron Minimodder

These are 3.5" speakers, I don't have much experience with arcrylic but I have enough MDF left over from my floor speakers to knock together some small cabinets. I will put some LEDs behind them, my dad will liek them.

5. Phat Ass

Fair enough, didnt think about the LED idea, nice one

(woo just saw the partial eclipse of the sun, mmm pretty, (why oh why dont we keep film in the camera))

6. 554

554 What's a Dremel?

Hit them :p

7. Viper2117

Viper2117 What's a Dremel?

I have 2 solutions

1.Roll up a newspaper of magizine and when the come in hitem right on the nose and say no, if they say someting hit them agian and sternly say no.Kepp up till when you raise the newspapper/magizine the flinch and know not to do it

2. get a ferret cause they smell horrable and make it stink so they get nauses when coming. but your asking what about me wont i get sick. nope.. since we all just stay in our rooms fearing sunlight we adapt very quickly.

3. Stab them and take there money.(watch all episodes of CSI to get around the police)

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

My parents don't tend to get that bothered by all the computer bits hanging about the house... Infact, a lot of it is my dad's :). He tends to put stuff in static bags then boxes, then in a drawer tho. My mother however, just looks at the stuff and tells me to clean it up, she hardly ever moves the stuff 'cos she's afraid of breaking it :). She used to, but stopped after me and my Dad kept shouting at her for doing it :).

Although she does get onto me for the room being a mess, and the worst part is I don't live here all that often. I just failed at Uni, but I'm going back to live with my Uni mates in september, so I'm only here for the summer. You'd think that I'd be given a bit of leeway as they hardly see me these days, but I'm working monday to saturday so I'm hardly home :). Doesn't really bother me anyway, I can live with it for free accomodation & food :D

9. MilitantB0b

MilitantB0b What's a Dremel?

Nah, thats too much work, instead, my next mod is going to be to stealth the door to my room. :D That would be quite cool. :D

10. djmassive

djmassive What's a Dremel?

i would've gone absolutely off the hook at them!! i would've made em pay for a new one if the rubbish had already left for the dump.. :grr:

11. spookyman60

spookyman60 What's a Dremel?

i have the same probs my rooms a mess with ics and wires pcbs that i dont use it works for me my dad has his own comp that i built so he dont use mine only when he breaks his so i fix it as fast as poss they darent enter my room in case i spit mi dummy at em

12. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

lol, it was never a 2800... it was an athlon FX-51, DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THOSE COST?!!!?! YOU HAVE TO BUY ME A NEW ONE NOW! :D

13. instant rice

instant rice What's a Dremel?

my parents stay out of my room. strip some of the paint, write some offensive things on the walls, and make it a point never to dust your ceiling fan if you have one. i also insist on only having one of three light bulbs working at a time. my parents stopped going in my room after i demanded they didn't do it anymore (so as to stop breaking things/finding my nudie mags :worried: ). they said they wouldn't do it anymore (liars!) and i wrote "see? you're doing it again" on my wall. 2 days later, no more parents. i don't think they've been in there for 2 years now.

14. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

ah! i geuss im luck my mum has never touched any of my pc stuff at al usely its my bro so i kick the crap out of him and he soon learns :)

15. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

Lol heh ROFL thats a good one lol!

"oh sorry dear mom will get you a new Anthlon FX thing tomorrow:)" :rock:

16. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

I live in a two story house. My computer and my room used to be upstairs where my parents could see everthing that i was doing, and periodically yell at me to clean up my room. during winter break i told my parents that i am going to move all my **** downstairs, into a back bedroom. They said no and i decided to move everything downstairs when they were both gone. so i have had my room downstairs for about a month now, since i have 4 cold cathodes and 7 fans in my computer it makes some noise and plenty of light. But the best part is that i can scream and shout all i want and my parents can't even hear me.. yeay. i leave my computer on all night, leave music on all night, leave tv on all night, leave lights on all night, and my parents don't even notice. How cool is that. DONT EVEN NEED A LOCK lol :jawdrop:

17. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

couldnt agree more :D

18. SJH

SJH Minimodder

I used to have computer hardware stacked just about anywhere. One time my mum decided it was taking up too much room and chucked half of it out. I salvaged it from the bin and instructed her never to touch it again :D (I didn't tell her most of it was old and worthless ;))

These days I keep it all safely in drawers. I have about 3 motherboards lying around in there though which I need to put somewhere before someone comes along and sits/stands on one or chucks it out.

-Sam

19. hypocrisy86

hypocrisy86 Banned

My dad keeps moving all my stuff
    gets really irrative..

20. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

It is really no fun seeing your mom vacuum several of your computers with their cases off, there is that static thing that kind of makes things bad. :wallbash: