1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows FarCry 3 Trailer

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by B1GBUD, 15 Feb 2012.

1. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

2. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Anyone else find him to be an extremely annoying person, let alone his accent/how he talks?

3. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

TB is not to bad, quite honest in his game reviews, his casting is more for the entertainment side.

The vid is quite funny where he gets attacked by a crocodile and then by a tiger in the space of a minute, the game has addressed the lack of animals in FC2.

Just wondering if its worth picking up for about £25/27 now or wait for it to drop futher in price.

4. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Well.. in 2 days Ive managed to sink in 14 hours.

I just haven't noticed the time until I decide to check if there are any updates to threads I'm watching and see its after 1.30 am.

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I am quite enjoying this. It's not quite 'open world' in that some tasks need you to stay in a specific area, but if you don't pick up a task then you can go wherever you want - which I like very much. The open world mechanics are nowhere near as smooth as with Assassins Creed, but nonetheless it is a refreshing change to the usual corridor FPS games.

It is running quite well on Ultra settings (apart from AA) on my 2 year old rig - I guess I am benefiting from the fact it was made for AMD cards. I am getting around 35-40 fps - If I dropped some of the settings down a bit I would probably get more.

There is the occasional crash to desktop, but not enough to be annoying and the save system seems to cope with it as you can save it manually outside of a mission and it also checkpoints regularly.

I have put about 20 hours in so far and I haven't yet bothered to advance the story any further than when you get to play out in the open! I like the fact you are not forced to play the story at all as there are plenty of other things to do.

Anyway, this is a good PC version and they have obviously put some thought into the platform rather than making a straight 'one size fits all' variant. Some of the menus are obviously optimised for console use, but they do work fine with a mouse and keyboard.

I would definitely recommend this game to anyone who likes to mess about in an open world game.

I have played MP and probably won't. There is also a Co-Op mode which I won't play until I get the Xbox version (my regular co-op partner does not have a gaming PC).

6. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Screenshots for you guys

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

The one thing that is annoying me is the loot system...

There are two types of loot;

1. Junk, which you simply sell.
    2. Plants and Animal Skins that you use for crafting.

I would prefer it if they simply did not bother with the first type, it's a pain in the rear to make constant trips to the vendor to sell this stuff - especially as your 'inventory' size is severly restricted until you can craft bigger 'sacks'.

Also, as there is nowhere to store your loot (that I have found), you have to hold on to every skin and plant as they are needed as you progress and unlock the ability to craft different items (such as ammo belts and 'potions'). This means that the inventory is almost always totally full, meaning more and more trips to sell the one or two junk items you have to make room for the useful stuff.

Now, inventory management is always something I hate in games, but with this game it's even more of a pain than usual.

Please Ubisoft, give me somewhere to store my skins and plants!!!

8. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Anyone here playing on ultra at 256x1440 or 1920x1200?

Because my 7970 doesnt seem to be cutting it and im not sure why. Even at the lower resolution its not very smooth.

Something im missing here?

9. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

My card is playing it ok

10. bdigital

At was res matey? Also are you on ultra?

11. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Playing it totally cranked on my 5870, but my res is 'only' 1680x1050. At 1080p my card would die. I am kind of enjoying the game so far, hate how dumbed down games are these days.. but it's pretty fun and a nice change for me from my usual MMO's etc.

12. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

There is a new CAP profile for Far Cry 3 over at the AMD site - have you tried that? I am playing on Ultra on an HD 5970 OC at 2560x1600 and it's giving me decent frame rates. I am using the latest beta drivers with the CAP profile I mentioned.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

HDAO kills cards, HBAO is better I found.

Now I've discovered the flamethrower I'm all about rambo-ing outposts.

14. bdigital

CAP profile? I downloaded the latest catalyst patch and drivers if thats what you mean? But that didnt help :(

Ive had to drop it to very high settings on 1920 x 1200 and ive got aa at 4 instead of 8 with gou frame buffering at 1 and v sync at 1.

Il have another gander at the amd site to see if there is anything else im missing. Otherwise...... Crossfire might be calling ;)

15. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I read dx11 multithreading doesn't like amd cards... Is that enabled?

16. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

CAP = Crossfire Application Profile - it means that the game should run optimally in CrossfireX mode by default. Unless you have turned Crossfire off with a profile, it should run in that mode automatically (if you have 2 GPUs of course!).

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

With my 670 at 2560 x 1440 it plays just fine, just wish the game was better.

Vehicle control is shocking.

18. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

The boats are quite good, but the land vehicles are terrible with mouse and keyboard - might be better with a controller, but I haven't tried yet. I run everywhere anyway!

19. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I can't believe how much i'm enjoying this. I was going into it with a prejudice since i hated FC2, and this game has a lot of the typical triple A things that normally indicate a generic manufactured title, but it's actually really well made and engaging.

I find myself doing all the open world filler content that i ALWAYS avoid in games, and even some of the illusion/dream sequences (which i normally despise) have a genuine reason to exist. The main story is not too shabby and the villain character from the game's cover is in my all time top 5.

20. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

I tend to think of steering the cars as I usually do in rally any car games...
    foot down, no brakes, and almost constantly sideways :D

boat control is pretty easy, and sometimes faster to get around.

Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?

I quite liked FC2, pity I never got to play much of it.. always distracted by the newest shiny game that came out... that or WoW / BF:BC2.

One thing I prefered in FC2 over FC3 is the fire mechanics.. you could easily set large areas on fire, compared to a few meters now.

Yeah different settings, tropical vs savannah.. I know how easy it is to set fire to the african bush, being so dry in a lot of places :)worried: not that I've ever done that, mind :worried: