1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Ferry to Ireland

Discussion in 'General' started by Xir, 23 Jul 2015.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

Hi,

so I'm planning a trip to Ireland next year, and am trying to find a cheap ferry.
    The only thing I've noticed so far, is that ferries to Ireland (north- or south) are much more expensive then, say channel or intra Scotland-ferries.
    And with much more I mean at least the triple price compared with comparably long other ones

Is there a specific reason for this?

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I'm guessing that a lot of it has to do with the popularity of the route. You don't get many people going to Jersey for a stag do...

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I have noticed the same thing, we usually travel between Dublin and Holyhead when working or going to events in England and the crossing is always quite steep. So much so that in recent years it's been cheaper and easier to fly into EMA and hire a vehicle if the trip is for something I don't need any/a lot of gear for.

I assume you're taking about ferry journeys between the UK mainland and Ireland? I think it has to do with the fact that you're essentially traveling between countries. Assuming you are talking about mainland UK to Ireland, have you considered catching a ferry to Larne or Belfast in the north and either driving or catching a train to where you're going in Ireland?

4. Xir

Xir Modder

Yes I have, I have four possible routes, all have their pro's and cons and all are relatively dear.

Going to Belfast from errrr... Cairnryan would set me back about 400€!
    5x the amount a channel crossing does.
    A comparable distance is the Campbeltown-Ardrossan route, it costs a third (and I didn't think CalMac was known for beeing cheap)

The cheapest option is to actually avoid any UK-Irl or UK-N.Irl Ferry and go from France directly.
    I can do that for ~500€-600€, and it's a long ride with cabins necessary.

High pricing explained: two adults, two very small kids, one large (and high) campervan.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Depends on time of year during peak summer you pay more than normal. I used to travel across for work purposes a lot and 90% of the time we never even got asked for a passport. Route gets busier and more expensive from around July to early September.

Last time I was across ( in Jan of this year )going both ways it was less than £200 return which is around the cost of the flight. That was booked a day before we went. It's still a decent saving for me as flying means hiring a car and getting computer equipment I take across checked in the airport.

6. Stotherd-001

Stotherd-001 Minimodder

Its due to a few reasons - mostly the market, and a lack of real competitiveness in prices. All the companies offer different things - in the north you've quick journeys into belfast, and facing belfast traffic or slower shorter ones intoLarne, and ending up in the most depressing place in the world*. Or slow long journeys to a major city in England (Liverpool) or faster journeys to the edge of nowhere in Soctland.

We don't have a tunnel, and the channel is much calmer seas, so less sailings are cancelled for weather on the channel.

Dunno about the South but the Northern ones have had to do some creative sales and negotiations during football season for the Rangers/Celtic fans. There's been some horrendous trouble in the past, and that's likely inflated prices a bit.

*seriously. There's just something about that place. A McDonalds failed there!

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Not to mention the fact that CalMac is owned by the Scottish Government is gets massive subsidies, mainly because it's considered a lifeline for islanders.

8. HeaverNothing

HeaverNothing Professional Idiot

When ever I am going to the UK by car I always go by Dublin to Holyhead. Usually it is cheaper and is easier to get than going up North or going to Rosslare. If you haven't been to Ireland before I would recommend going to Galway. It is the city most intertwined with Irish culture. Great people , great night live. On your way you should visit Sean's Bar in Athlone. It's the oldest pub in Europe!
    Dublin is really more historical than Galway with places like the GPO being a well known building from the 1916 Rising.
    Cork and Kerry have gorgeous scenery too.
    Where ever you go just remember to have a pint of Guinness!

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I too always use Holyhead-Dublin, since I live along the A55 which ends at the entrance to Holyhead docks.

10. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

i did look into Ferrys to / From Northern Ireland for my ill-fated trip and was surprised at the expense, but i do think a fair amount of the price is down to the length of time you are on said ferry...as opposed to say a plane that gets there in less than an hour...

11. Xir

Xir Modder

Hum, I don't think ferries and planes are quite comparable, anyway the shortest crossings (on slow boats) are well under two hours I think? That's not that far.