1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Fingertip mouse for <£40?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by terrorbyt, 5 Jul 2012.

1. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Suggestions? currently using a bog standard DELL wired optical. Not fussy really, I have a fingertip grip and want to spend between £20 & £40 (Preferably £30).

Thanks guys :)

2. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

CM Storm Spawn for £30, practically made for fingertip grip, perfect sensor in every way.

Logitech G9X MW3 version for £30 at Scan somewhere, similar to above but sensor has some annoying acceleration that you won't notice if you aren't a competitive gamer (also not as naturally comfortable as the Spawn, but it allows for a variety of grips and fingertip styles by having a neutral shape)

Zowie EC2 if you can find one for £40, I mostly recommend this one, has the best shape that you will find natural coming from normal mice and it also has a perfect sensor. Is on offer from £50 down to £40 on OCUK

I have a fingertip grip too btw :)

Last edited: 6 Jul 2012
  3. freeclout

freeclout What's a Dremel?

Just a couple of wks ago I upgraded my old dell mouse to a steelseries kinzue pro. Good for fingertip grip and I'm liking it a lot. If you need more buttons the kana just got reviewed on this very site. Looks nice.

4. bagman

bagman Minimodder

5. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

I beg to differ, but its quite a nice mouse still.

And as our recent recruit freeclout mentioned, the steelseries shaped mice are also nice for fingertip grips. The only gripe I had with them was that the main mouse buttons were simply too low and close to the ground. The intellimouse (and most other mice) have a chunkier front, so the mouse buttons are raised more and more comfortable at least for me.

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Logitech MX518 or whatever they're calling it these days. I've been a fingertipper for years and it's basically perfect.

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

8. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Just to clarify a slight possible misconception about the MX518/G400: the reason its so famous is because its amazing for palm grip. Anyone can love any mouse when they get used to it, but I wouldn't recommend it for the OP, as for fingertip grips its just an average mouse, not as good as some because of its large size. Simply put don't bother because you can do better :)

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I'm curious that you describe it as a large mouse. I've encountered lots of gaming mouses over my years, mostly logitech ones but others too, and the 518 always seemed a fair bit more compact than most of 'em.

10. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

I understand where you're coming from, I'll explain from a fingertippers view:
    It is bulky in the sense that in a "natural" fingertip grip the inside of your palm may involuntarily brush the bridge of the mouse. Which for a fingertipper is not a good thing. (well a bit more forceful touching than just "brushing" it, but you know what I mean)

Also it is large compared to the likes of the G9X, Abyssus, Steelseries mice (in the dimensions that (I believe) matter), and the Zowie EC2.

I didn't compare it directly to the Intellimouse, but the bridge of it is somewhat less fingertip friendly than the likes of the Intellimouse optical 1.1.

Of course the Razer Deathadder, Zowie EC1 and more are similarly large and bulky. To appreciate the difference I believe you would need to compare the MX518 with the smaller mice mentioned above directly (as I have :))

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Oh I trust that you know what you're talking about, I just find the differing experiences interesting. Regarding the inside of the palm touching the bridge of the mouse, I can't say that happens to me, which leads me to one of two conclusions. Either my hands are just the right shape for the mouse (I do have quite "long" and fairly big hands) or I've developed an extreme version of fingertipping (also possible, my fingertips just rest on the very rear of the buttons) - or both. Since I don't know much about mouses, I'm curious, is extreme sensitivity a common desire among fingertippers?

12. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Interesting to know! Unfortunately another point that comes to mind is that even if you don't touch the mouse, if the mouse has a larger body (like the MX518, although it isn't that large compared to some), the distance you can move the mouse comfortably in any direction without shifting your wrist from one point on the desk, is less (the fingertippers sweep I call it)

Extreme sensitivity as in DPI? The point I found with effective and efficient fingertipping is that one sweep should take you from the top right of your screen, to the bottom right with a little room for movement left over. This is comfortable in Windows/RTS style games where moving the mouse doesn't move the view immediately like an FPS. However in FPS style games, having a lower sensitivity even with a fingertip grip, does tend to work the best for accuracy (sniping and railgun-like-gun usage and so on)

Of course it depends on the player, but the majority opinion (and pretty much true and tested for me) is that for precise aiming a lower sensitivity is much better in terms of your accuracy.

So in conclusion on the sensitivity front: even though you fingertip, extreme sensitivity is not the way forward if you want to perform at the best possible level. It's more "as low as you can comfortably handle" that I at least am aiming for :). Comfort is very important though.

However, the most important factor when deciding on a new mouse, a new gaming/gripping style or whatever; is familiarity. If you have used a certain style or sensitivity for a long time, it will give you the best results to stick with it, no matter what seems to be scientifically better. Having said that, I do feel switching from acceleration to non-acceleration has improved my game after a few months of practice :D so it varies and depends what you want to change. As a general rule, adjusting to a lower sensitivity is more beneficial/easier than changing to a higher one.

13. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I would agree with the familiarity front, I'm now using 800 dpi, and in something like TF2 it takes a good 6 inches for a 360, probably more.
    Took me a while to get to that stage, gradually lowering my dpi etc, but now I'm used to it, I hate using higher sensitivity mice. I just have no control :p

To the OP, best suggesting I can give is go somewhere and try some out, see which feels nicest in your hand, since that's what matters most (once you've got enough buttons for your use) in my opinion.

14. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Grrrr too much choice! The Logitech G9X looks really good value but I prefer the look of the CM Storm. The CM Storm's only £26.86 on Scan :O. I think out of all of them I'd prefer the Zowie EC2 most but it's £45 on OC UK so will probably end up getting the CM Storm :)

Would you guys agree?

Thanks for all the help everyone (I have read through all the posts), makes for very interesting reading! I checked to see which type of grip I was before posting to narrow down my choices, I don't see the point in choosing a mouse I won't be comfortable with. Also it's good to meet a fellow finger gripper :D

15. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Yep sounds like you have it sorted :)

Zowie EC2 is very highly acclaimed, but if you don't want to spend the money then either the Spawn or the G9X are excellent. Bear in mind though, that the Spawn only has a few set DPI levels that can be used. I believe its 800, 1600 or 3200 or something like that. Same with the EC2 - 450, 1150 and I think 2000. If that's an issue then the G9x allows for very precise settings.

As a fingertip grip user, I find the EC2 on 1150 dpi is perfect for a 1080p monitor :)

16. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Thanks, I think if I were to find the CM Storm particularly uncomfortable then I would opt for the EC2. Not too woried about the DPI, I've never really needed to precisely ajust the it, I used to have a mouse with a DPI switcher button which I rarely used.

Can you recommend me a decent mousemat too? I'd like quite a big one, using a bog standard 9" x 8" mat at the moment :)

17. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Definitely, is your usual one a cloth pad? I presume it is, in which case you can't go wrong with a nice, reliable Steelseries QCK.

The qck+ is humongous :)

But anyhow, do you prefer glide, or control, or a mixture of both?

Last edited: 6 Jul 2012
  18. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Yes it is cloth :). I'll have a look at some steelseries mats. A mix of both would be good, the only issue with my current one is it's too small and looks crap :(

19. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

If you want to stick with cloth then a simple QCK or its variants would be great

On the other hand hard mats are actually very very nice to use. Many people try them and never look back at cloth. The one you want really depends on how your mice feet are though. I would suggest a simple Roccat Sota, it really is a gem for the price.

I know Kovoet has a Steelseries SP he wanted to swap as it didn't work with some CM mice he had. You could buy it off him maybe.

20. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

I use a Razor Abyssus and a Steelseries QcK Mini. I also fingertip grip without moving my wrist (tilt left/right) and fingertips to move up/down. Mouse mat has to be replaced every year since I sweat so much!

Mouse is on 1800dpi and sensitivity on 7 and a half (probably one or two notch increase if it was done via mouse pointer settings in Control Panel)

Only problem with my mouse is it keeps the PC active, so screensavers, display off, and away statuses never kick in. A friend with the same mouse as me hasn't reported these issues though.