1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First custom water cooling

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by yuusou, 31 Mar 2023.

1. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I got for my wife's PC a cheap second hand 5700 XT. It came with a water block.
    It supposedly also came with it's stock cooler, but once it got here I realised it was missing a crucial bracket that cools the VRAM and power delivery.

So now do I:
    a) give her my air cooled 5700XT and watercool my rig for a small fortune (cause this shizz expensive even buying second hand)? or
    b) flog it off, cut my losses, buy a reasonable and modern gpu for the amount that I spent on the old one + water cooling nubbins?

Long story short, here's my loop.

Last edited: 1 Apr 2023
  2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Welcome to the horrendously expensive part of an already expensive hobby :grin:

jamsand and Bloody_Pete like this.
  3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Exactly this! Although welcome to very silent computing and being able to say you have water in your PC to peoples amazement! (I love saying I have a fountain in mine :p)

The_Crapman likes this.
  4. The_Crapman

Ah is that an AC aqualis Res? Always wanted one of those. Trying desperately to stop myself buying me more stuff. Have recently redone my brother's rig with upgrading 2080s to 4090 and ek block and upgrading rads, halfway through upgrading my little brother's rig with the 2080s and some other bits for his old loop, will be moving my old rig into a new case for Mrs crap and giving it refresh and building a monster watercooled system for someone else.

I keep thinking ooo I could do this and that for me, but I've got a 5800x and rx5700, I don't game much anymore and when I do my current rig is just fine. I just really want a z590 dark and it's gorgeous copper heatsinks, recently found a bunch of the old Alphacool copper fittings on ppcs eBay clearance store and bought everything they had, including 6 male-male rotary extensions that I have no idea what I'd do with them. I need help! :hehe:

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You were close! Its the Alphacool Eisbecher, I have the D5 block version, its really fun!

I really want a 13900KS with those new EK Direct Die blocks! Solid 6GHz all cores!!!!! But I really shouldn't, as I'mn saving for a house! At work I'm upgrading our systems that control our cameras, found a affordable company that does 2U servers with 13900K's and 3080's with micro watercooling, so now I can extend it to work, because apparently I hate myself :grin:

And the uptilate watercooling is the camera systems I design and make, the ocean is their cooler :p

6. The_Crapman

I need to sort out a server/Nas to use as a DVR for the TP link cameras we've just got. Thinking of stashing a thin itx or pi with a big HDD under a floorboard. Maybe I could watercool it, got a 480monsta I bought 2nd hand for "reasons", might just be enough for it:hehe:

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  7. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I'm not entirely happy with the loop.
    I wanted the res to be upright.
    I didn't apply enough thermal paste on the cpu, The temperature keeps gradually creeping up.
    The gpu doesn't have seem right either, it's temps seem worse than the air cooled equivalent I had in there before.
    The fans or iCUE are acting weird (LEDs keep turning off and on).
    There's a drain port on the bottom right of the rad (you can see the extra tube in the photo), looking back I should've put it on the port below the port coming from the pump.

So... I've ordered a vertical gpu mount and will be re-doing the whole thing soon.

8. The_Crapman

Make sure you have a temp probe in the loop and run the run curve off the coolant temp, rather than component temp. You want to keep the coolant below 40C.

yuusou and Goatee like this.
  9. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

This! I find slowly ramping the fan speed up from 30>>40c is a nice balance. Quiet when not in heavy use but goes like the clappers when needed.

10. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Thanks for the suggestions. Got two temp probes on the way from different brands, hopefully one of them fits into the commander core xt without modification and gives out correct readings. The motherboard doesn't have external probe pins and Corsair don't have sensors that can safely go into liquid afaik.

11. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

How are you controlling the fans?

My personal preference is the aquasuite tools and a dedicated fan controller. The Quadro gives 4 fan headers, probe headers and connects via usb to the mobo. I like being able to tweak the settings (fan speeds based on temperature range, and set a fixed pump speed - based on noise) in windows while setting the PC up rather than having to go to bios.

All horses for courses obviously.

12. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I'm controlling the fans with a Corsair Commander Core XT, they're Corsair fans. It has two probe ports, so I think it should be fine. The pump is plugged into the motherboard. I could plug it into the controller, it has a free port, but I don't think it's necessary.

Goatee likes this.
  13. The_Crapman

Yeh should be just fine, you can run fan curves off a temperature sensors in icue. Oddly they do make watercooling temp sensors, but don't sell them seperate, only include them with their pump reservoirs.

Whatever sensor you have should work fine, if it gives you odd readings probably need to flip the connector around. Could always use both the ones you've got as there's 2 temp inputs and one is bound to work, save having to drain it again if there's problems.

Drain valves, get them as low in the case as possible, so where it is now seems good

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I design mine to run silent with no change, as fan ramping really annoys me, so I overspec the rad to allow me to run the fans lower at a solid speed :)

MLyons likes this.
  15. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

While based on noise 1600~1800 RPM seemed ideal, I felt it was a little low just looking at the flow in the res. 3000RPM is still doable though and it's made a huge difference in terms of bubbles in the loop. Thanks for the tip

Goatee likes this.
  16. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

this can't be right... must be the motherboard

Cheapskate, Goatee and Bloody_Pete like this.
  17. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

It's fine now that iCUE has been disabled from startup :)

18. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

The_Crapman and Goatee like this.
  19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

A upside down watercooled GPU just seems wrong for some reason!

FYI, angled fittings. That tubing (I use it too) as a really high spring force, so it'll be constantly trying to pop itself oss of those fittings, not filly out, but one edge will slowly pull itself out,so pop a 45 degree fitting in there and that problem is massively reduced :)

20. The_Crapman

If you're still running that 2400g, then yeh that's going to be weeping. But the good news is there's a bucket load of CPU's that will slot in for a massive performance boost and their prices are constantly tumbling.