1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FlameProof : Shining Invincible (Update 4-5-07, almost underwater...)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by KayinBlack, 26 Jan 2005.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Well, I'm the bumpasaurus, by God...

This project did not die, it was sidelined, severely. Really severely.

Allow me to elucidate.

[​IMG]

As assembled, no windows, running at a very respectable overclock.

[​IMG]

However, as you can all remember, there was a flame war started in here, and it got nasty. I avoided posting for a bit, until it died down. About the time it died down, I got married. Hurricane Katrina hit, and the system ended up on its top, bent, smashed, soaked, and dead. I actually cried. I salvaged what i could, and rebuilt a few times, to varying degrees of success.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, I'm running a Biostar TForce6100-AM2, a 3500+ EE, an x850XTPE, and 2x512 of Elpida D9s. I'm not happy. I want better Oblivion. I want a quiet card. I want a quiet system. I want more overclocks, faster cards, and to win Rig of the Year.

So, in that spirit, I went out and started procuring parts. I saved my old BIX and snagged a Bonneville heater core, and 6 feet of MasterKleer off a buddy, who also owes me a case (PC-7 this time, I want native 120s) and sundry parts besides. In the sundry parts is an Adaptec 3940AUW to replace my 2940UW, and a DiamondMax 10 250GB SATAII drive. Also happened upon all the salient cables for SCSI, and am running it now. Gawd it's hot running.

Also, I happened upon a surprise gift from me wifey today, who is committed to helping me win Rig of the year, along with the new staff of KayinStorm Customs. I recieved a new centerpiece for my case, rather rare, absolutely non-computer related and quite expensive. I'll be posting pics of that shortly.

So, in the spirit of reviving this project, it gets a new name, a new case, and a group of people to help me source, fund, and remember to eat. (it happens...)

I (re)welcome you to FlameProof: Shining Invincible.

2. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

I love the color of your old water. What were you running in the loop? Glad to see you've started on a new project.

3. marauder16

marauder16 What's a Dremel?

a P180, man that's a record, three at the same time, I'm gonna be watching this :thumb:
    I mean will you be using that P180? (didn't understand quite everything from your post :eyebrow: )

4. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

PC7 F T W!!!

Good to see this project will be refreshed! im also gonna rework my Krishna project. Can wait to see what idea's you have for the case.

5. KayinBlack

Picless update, you don't want pics of this, really.

OK, so I was working on the storage array, sorting what goes in and out. However, this wasn't in the cards. The list of drives pulled/attempted/cursed at/put away goes as thus...

1 250GB DM10, needs RMA
    1 160GB DM9, needs RMA (no controller board activity)
    1 8GB Seagate slimline HDD (from Xbox, refuses to recognize anywhere, have to try again later)
    1 40GB Seagate Cheetah 10k SCSI (needs long format from card, will take overnight at least)
    1 Pioneer DVD-ROM (just doesn't work, makes computer not boot)
    1 slotload CD-RW (same)

and a Windows disk that's too scratched to install. Kids had it as a frisbee, the dog brought it to me. The "array" now consists of an 18 GB SCSI that I ghosted my wife's install onto, blasted the ENUM key, and resetup in my system, and a 9 GB SCSI running Ubuntu 6.10. Haven't set up GRUB yet, have to work on that later.

Also, my heatercore doesn't fit. Back to drawing board for me (literally...)

So, I'm gonna go play Baten Kaitos on GC, AWESOME game, really unique.

6. KayinBlack

So I've been assembling lots of stuffs, just not my own. Made my kids a computer, watercooled my wife's, and built two more watercooled PCs to help offset the cost of this stuff...

So, now to the pics, the good stuff!

Is it here yet...I'm a dog. (KayinStorm Customs' intrepid mascot wants to know what's at the door...)

[​IMG]

So what was at the door, Gizmo?

[​IMG]

Some of my WC gear, w00t! Shown is a BIX, a DD fillport, PrimoChill 1/2" UV blue tubing and 7/16" MasterKleer, and a Panaflo FBA12G12U (129 CFM baby!!), and a T-fitting. It's a start. More is on the way, though...

Radiator was treated with methylene chloride, it's sparkling bare metal!!! (Do NOT spill it on you, water will not remove it, it will burn you hardcore even underwater. Soap will deactivate it, but still, it's not fun to touch.)

Also making an appearance, with absolutely no explanation at this point... (But it is related to this mod directly, so go puzzle over it)

[​IMG]

And, cause we all have pictars of our modding buddies, I present Gizmo, the dog. He knows he's a dog. He glories in it. That, and the fact that somebody's petting him almost 24-7. Man's best friend, and kid's best pillow, and wife's best footwarmer, all in one.

[​IMG]

Pictures should improve, as I will most likely hand camera to wife, who can work it better, and the lighting in my house sucks hardcore, but it's what I have to make do with...

7. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

glad to see your back

8. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

Wow, you been through a lot. Good to see you're alright. And even better to see your modding starts again :thumb:

9. KayinBlack

Well, this is ACTUAL modding work, for the first time in a long while...

Well, I've gotten some etching done, some may or may not be used, and some is rather out of the ordinary...

First up, the side window first layer etch. The side is a PC-60 PlusII, hence the grille, but that's not the important thing. I've gotten two slightly different views to attempt to show the detail in it, and I'll be posting the mask I used later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This side panel actually may not be used, but I'm still toying with what I'm gonna do. The etching, by the way, is my company's logo, and a variant of it finds its way onto everything I produce.

Next is one that IS staying, though many of you may raise the "Why?" question. Simply put, it's the reason I'm still interested in PC gaming, for one, and it's also a good way to keep my sponsorship. (Waiting on those dividends, I tell ya...) This will go where the mobo tray is, and I'll probably LED light it from behind, with mirror tint over it so when it's off it looks like nothing's there...

[​IMG]

Yeah, to say I like Guild Wars is an understatement. ANet figures it gets free (or close to) advertising, and I'll be ending up with certain mods and ends before all is said and done...

Anyway, the fun has just begun, and I may update later tonight with some masks to be used later...

10. KayinBlack

Double Post Update Goodness!!!

These are the masks I'm using/have used for the etching work. These are by no means all that I'm using, but it should give you an idea as to where we're going.

I'll let them speak for themselves...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy.

11. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

Nice engraving, what tools did you use for it?

I'm a big fan of the artwork in the latest post (the lettering in particular). My one qualm is the man's arms. His arms are too short (especially his forearms) which make the biceps/shoulders seem too bulky. Also, from what I can tell, they're either at an odd angle or the biceps point outwards a bit too much.

That critique aside, that's seriously some nice lettering.

12. KayinBlack

Well, it's not perfect, nothing is.

The engravings, BTW, are done with a dremel. That, these masks, and time. Bout all it takes me.

13. JAxen

JAxen What's a Dremel?

sweet a$$ sketches man!

14. allforcarrie

allforcarrie Banned

15. KayinBlack

So I've been busy, I swear...

I've been working in acrylic for a few days now, and I have the scars to prove it!!!

This is my new T-line, sans barbs, and I didn't even have a drill press!

[​IMG]

I cut my thumb to the tendon doing this. Do NOT try this without proper tools!

Also, here are pictures of the first window etching...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a hint of the powa to come... *snicker*

[​IMG]

16. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Planning an upgrade, I see?

I've got one of those, except like 30 pins are bent out of shape.

Incredible engraving, its amazing how you can convey texture and the "ruffledness" of the feathers and things. Top notch :dremel: skillz.

17. KayinBlack

Thanks. I tried, I hoped that people thought it looked good.

Now for these bloody compression fittings... 3 freaking bucks a piece, and I have to cut them up...

18. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

the engraving is superb! The detail on the feathers...wow.

19. Soulmage

Soulmage Minimodder

LoL omg, i remeber pimping out my tandy 3100 with one of those back in the day!

Keep it up mate, looking awsome so far!

20. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I'm really liking the sketches even though I'm not the god-bothering type.

I'm not so keen on the text one.
    [​IMG]
    the F on the end isn't obvious enough and it looks like it says 'flame pro' or 'flame proo'.

Nice engraving skillz though! :dremel: