1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Fractal Design Arc Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Dec 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Could make for a pretty understated watercooled rig if there's space up top.

3. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

Do like:

Front Faschia; Nice fan grills, curvy corners, finish, button & connector position.
    Nice powder coating all round.
    Loads of fan mounts!
    Nice motherboard mounting and cable grommets.

Don't like:

BIG branding on front.
    Side panel fan mount (looks cheap and flimsy).

I'm assuming this is still in development, things they should do is ensure enough space between motherboard tray and side panel for cables, and lost some of the hard drive mounts, lower the 5" bays so you can fill the roof with radiator! Otherwise it's looking so far, if it comes in at the same price as the Define (or hopefully, cheaper) it could be decent.

4. Fractal Design

Fractal Design What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone,

Some quick comments from us at Fractal;

- We'll release new pictures shortly, in which I promise the whole design will make much more sense. Especially top and front panel...
    - Dual 120 rads, also thicker ones up to 60mm, will fit perfectly even with bigger memory modules like for example Corsair Dominator
    - There is 2x 140mm fan slots in the front, not 120mm
    - It will be 1x USB 3.0 and 3x USB 2.0
    - Expected street price is 69.99 GBP / 79.99 EUR incl. VAT
    - The case is considerably wider than Define, which gives much more space behind the M/B plate for cable routing
    - There is 8x HDD trays, not 7x, and the upper four are in a removable, rotatable HDD cage.

5. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

really don't like the finish on the front panel, doesn't fit in with the rest of the case. This reminds me of the CM stacker finish. The problem with this is that when you touch it it can be quite rough and sometimes to the point were it will takes skin off you fingers or scrapes your nails when handling, leaving stuff inside the narrow groves which is difficult to remove. Try and wipe it down with a cloth and it will tear fluff and thread off it which again gets stuck eeww.

The rest looks fine. I wish they would update their front panel.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

put the doors back please!

the mesh looks horrible.

other than that, could do with a bit of headroom on top for radiators.

also, is that a removable hard disk drive container in the middle? have case manufacturers finally cought on? i've been hold off because i fear of really long video cards that won't fit in any other case, my Antec p182 can fit any length graphics card without problem when i remove the middle drive container. only Corsair 600T and this case seem to have finally got the idea.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Welcome Hannes! :clap: :rock:

(for everyone else who wants to know who that is, check here: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2010/06/16/fractal-design-s-future-cases/3)

8. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

Can i has two USB 3.0 ports :lol:. Also is there going to be Dust filters for the side panels?

9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Looks like a good case but in my opinion the door should have been left on, this would improve the looks greatly. You would just run with the door open to get the best cooling (Like I do with my Define R2).

I do like the fact that this is wider than the R2 to allow for better cable routing behind the MB tray. If anything this is the biggest critisism I have with the R2, the PSU cable and 8 pin (5v) MB cable can struggle to fit behind the MB tray.

Finally that is a very suggested retail price. It's good to see a manufacturer release decent cases at decent price points.

10. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

how is the airflow in this? I had a R2 and it just kept heat in like an oven - i think it was the 'sound proof' material, which counter-worked as you needed to add more fans to cool down the case from the heat that the 'sound proof material' made.

11. Vinni3

Vinni3 What's a Dremel?

Is there any place to mount a res or pump?

12. Fractal Design

Last edited: 3 Dec 2010
  13. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

Hi all, just a note to say that we've been provided with some new images for the case which we've subbed into the article.

Its worth going back and having another look as it certainly looks better.

Just shows you what a difference a decent photographer makes rather than our guerilla shots.

Cheers

14. Fractal Design

maximus09: Please note that the finish on the front panel will be less "striped" in the final version and will definitely not be felt when touching it. It will be similar to the alu-look we have on the Define R2/R3/XL front panels.

15. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

new pics look very very nice! lian li watch out.- are they more how it looks? the old shows were much much less nice.

16. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

Preeeeeeettyyyyyyyyy.

I want can haz. Would make for a very good air cooled build. I can see a few mods I would do, as well.

I do like. A lot. Especially if it comes in at £70. I'd buy the hell out of it.

17. Fractal Design

Memroot: The new pics are definitely more fair in reflecting the looks...the first one were just taken by us quickly in the office with very poor lighting.

18. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

That's how you do it. All manufacturers should send members of their staff to the forums and talk to their customers in public. That's how you build up good reputation :thumb:

At the mentioned price this case should be rather a very well choice and I like the minimalistic design.
    The only thing I'll never understand is the placement of the USB/Audio/Power in the top, as I'd never place my case under my desk but only at my desk, where this placement is totally useless. I need those things in the front, preferably at the bottom, close to the desk itself.
    There should be a law prohibiting to put your case under your desk actually :D

Oh, and I hope Fractal will release a nice mini-ITX-case (something like the Silverstone Sugo05) sometime next spring, when I'm on to build myself a SandyBridge based SFF-system :naughty:

19. CharlO

CharlO What's a Dremel?

Fractal, you rock'd my world! Any chance of coming to Argentina? :)

20. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

That is one very sexy case, serious water cooling madness in there. Makes me wish I didn't prematurely buy my Lian Li.

Tags: Add Tags