1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other FTP Server

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ryu_ookami, 7 Sep 2014.

1. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

Hi, all I'm trying to set up an FTP server so that my GF can connect to our home network whilst out and about using her android tablet.

I've set the ftp server up and while using the internal ip ftp://192.168.1.3/ I can see and access the ftp server files no problem.

[​IMG]

When I try and connect using my external public IP however it just says that the page is taking to long to respond and it times out. It doesn't even get to the user name and password box.

[​IMG]

I've forwarded the port correctly or at least I think I have a screen shot shows the settings below.

[​IMG]

and I've allowed it through the Windows Firewall

[​IMG]

I've also checked that the Port is open.

[​IMG]

I've removed any identifying information from the pictures because I'm paranoid like that :)

I've restarted both the router and the computer hosting the FTP server but its made no difference.

Any ideas or statements of fact about where I've gone wrong would be great.

In short HELP!!!...please

Last edited: 7 Sep 2014
  2. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Are you just typing your external IP into the browser or putting ftp:// before it?

3. Ryu_ookami

4. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Have you tried putting the port number after the ip address? Also have you set up username/passwords to access the ftp server?

5. Ryu_ookami

In reverse order, I've set the user name and password when I access the ftp server using the LAN IP It asks for them and logs me in when I try and access from the public IP it doesn't actually connect so it doesn't get far enough to ask for them.

If by adding the port number do you mean for example FTP://000.000.000.000:21 I've tried it both with and without the result is the same, I get the same 'The connection has timed out' message.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Can you ping your ip address? Are you sure it hasn't changed. What are you using to test the connection. Phone or broadband? Is this kind of port forwarding something your isp might prevent? Under the protocol setting on your router is there ftp as well as tcp?

7. Ryu_ookami

Yep, I can ping the external IP and all packets are sent and received.

The external IP has changed (when I reset the router) but the internal IP hasn't.

I'm using both 2 computers and an android device all of them can connect using the internal network IP none of them can connect via the external IP.

I've checked the port using Shields Up and the port is open so its not being blocked.

Under the protocol setting I have;

TCP
    UDP
    TCP/UDP

If I choose the application setting then there is a setting for ftp server but choosing it only results in the same settings as the 3rd picture in my OP.

8. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

First thing to try - temporarily disable the firewall completely from the machine hosting the ftp site.

if that still doesn't work, try doing ftp://username:password@ipaddress from external - I've occasionally had ftp sites which would only connect when the credentials were supplied in this way.

9. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Haha the site smileys have made that look quite amusing. What's an 'assword'? ;)

Good advice though. I have had a similar issue in the past, especially when accessing from a browser.

I am now trying to remember the BBcode to prevent a line of text from being parsed...

EDIT: {param} - it's the 'literal' tag.

10. Ryu_ookami

Turned the firewall off both windows and the routers firewall - tried to connect - timed out.

Tried ftp://username:password@ipaddress - with both firewalls on -timed out.

Tried ftp://username:password@ipaddress - with both firewalls off -timed out.

not sure what to try now to be honest.

11. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

In your pictures above, the 'remote host' on the port forwarding page of your router is blank. If you have done that on purpose, that's ideal, but if not, that may be your issue. It's likely a routing issue over anything else, I'd say.

I haven't ever configured a Huawei router, but I know that on some, a firewall passthrough on the router is required, as well as the port forward?

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I should have said are you using mobile internet to check. Or have you tried using actual broadband. I've seen sites that don't play well with mobile internet.

13. Ryu_ookami

I've left the remote host blank because as I understand it if I place an IP address in that box only some one from that IP would be able to connect though I've probably got it wrong
    I've disabled the firewall on the router so it shouldn't be an issue

I'm using actual broadband

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Are you, by any chance, using the same broadband connection to test as you're trying to run the FTP server on? Some routers can't cope with traffic going in one side, out the other and then back again without ever actually hitting a remote host: they get terribly confused. Try using a different connection - VPN, friend's house, mobile 'phone via 3G/4G connection (not Wi-Fi, obviously) - and see if that makes a difference.

Then think about a different way of doing what you're doing. FTP is ridiculously insecure. Sure, it's easy - but if you leave it open to the world with a port-forward, don't say you weren't warned when you find your drive filling up with someone else's warez.

Last edited: 8 Sep 2014
  15. Ryu_ookami

I'll try with a different connection tomorrow when I have access to one. I'll report back if that makes a difference.

What I'm trying to do is give the GF and myself read only access to a specific folder on one of the home PC's when we are out and about with out using any subscription based or fee paying programs. The only way I've been told of doing it is using an FTP server. When we are out I use a notebook using Windows and she uses an android device.

Any other suggestions on how to do it would be great.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Have you looked at BitTorrent Sync? Maps its own ports via UPnP (so no messing around with your router,) everything is fully encrypted, and giving an Android or iOS device read-only or read-write access is as simple as scanning a QR code via the camera. Way more secure than FTP. I use it to keep my desktop and laptop in sync, and to keep a copy of my work files on my server. Added bonus: you can also set it up to automatically back up the photos on her tablet and/or phone (any Android or iOS device basically) to your home network in the background.

Normally, BitTorrent Sync would keep a copy of all files on all clients - that's the 'sync' part, after all. The mobile version works differently, though: unless you specifically choose to keep a copy of all files locally, you just fire up the software and browse through a directory tree. Find the file you want, tap it, and it's immediately downloaded to your device and can be opened natively. If you've set up a two-way (read-write) sync, you can even make changes that will be reflected in a remote copy; obviously, for a read-only sync that's not possible.

Here I am on my phone, browsing some of the stellar work I've done for Custom PC. None of these files are stored locally, until and unless I tap one (or choose 'Sync' from the menu to grab the whole folder.) Neat, eh?

[​IMG]

Big Elf likes this.
  17. Ryu_ookami

You're a genius. It works. She's Happy. My life just became easier. I know there was a reason I loved Bit-Tech so much :)

Thank you

18. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Very useful Gareth, thank you

19. Gareth Halfacree

I have my moments. Obviously, using BitTorrent Sync you're entirely trusting BitTorrent Inc. in their claims that it's fully encrypted and they have no access to your files - even when using a relay server behind a restricted firewall - 'cos it's closed-source. Also, it's relatively new, so there could be security holes that haven't been discovered yet. Compared to sticking a Windows-hosted FTP server on the public 'net, though? I'd say you're golden.

You can play around with some of its other features, too. Keep a copy of your important folder on your laptop as well as your desktop, synchronised in the background. Not only will you always have your files available to you, but if your desktop goes PFFT you've got a backup. Better still - and this is where BitTorrent Sync gets really clever - if you and the missus were in the same remote location when she tried to access a given file, it would load from your laptop rather than from the desktop. That's right: she'd be able to access the file at the speed of the Wi-Fi network between the laptop and phone, rather than the far slower speed of whatever hotel broadband line you're on is.

20. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Just looking through this thread - no one has mentioned that Port 20 (TCP) needs to be open too (for the data channel).

Also, you'll need to open a passive range of ports for PASV transfers (as you're behind NAT) - that'll usually be somewhere in the FTPd config (FileZilla is a good FTPd). Usually they're in the high thousands (E.G., 25000-26000 (TCP)).