1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Full Time? Really?

Discussion in 'General' started by outlawaol, 30 Aug 2011.

1. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I ****ing hate my job right now... I've worked at this particular retail chain for 8 years (biggest in the world, google it) and these are my hours for this week and the following two.

This is this weeks, as you can see its clearly not 40 hours. And I work a late and then an early right the next day (thanks you ****ing stupid brainless managers)
    [​IMG]

Now this is next weeks, I had to talk to a manager to get Friday changed to a 'full shift' so that it wasnt a ******** shift (my term for short shifts like the 4:30 to 9:30's). The kicker for this week is that they are using a holiday to 'makeup' for that other 8 hours. Gee thanks... I can not even get a semi bonus real holiday pay because of this (hence normal check, rather then a bonus on the check)
    [​IMG]

Are they for ****ing real? Really? Since when does this constitute any sort of full time status? Oh wait, I know what they do. In retail world, or perhaps every other job on the planet, they dont consider this part time because it does not fall into several weeks concurrently doing this. So one week I get this, the next I could get 32 (Minimum for full time 'status') and the next this again.
    [​IMG]

I am just about to call it quits with this place... I ****ing hate getting scewed around with. This job is my primary income - does that mean nothing to any of these ****ing greedy *******s? It ****ing infuriates me that this has no repercussion on the managers ****ing with me. They are salary, they get their wages guaranteed. Why not simply say to them one week "yea, we are gonna have to cut your wages down this week by 25%. We gotta keep hours down, thank you". And lets see how they react.

Corporate logo's should just say this from now on to every employee.
    [​IMG]

2. Pieface

Pieface Modder

11 hours gap between shifts, and you complain about lates to early? I've done 3am finishes and worked 7am the next morning.

3. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

^And I thought 9pm finish > 6am start was bad enough- 11 hours between shifts is a dream by comparison.

I suppose it depends what the contract states regards number of hours per week, if you are contracted for a fixed or certain number of hours and they give you less then you have grounds to complain; if you are on a minimum or no set minimum number of hours ( 'zero contract' in the UK- you get hours as and when you are needed ) then they can give you whatever hours they like.

Same company that takes out life insurance on it's employees and then cashes in without giving anything to the family right? That kinda bites...

4. Yariko

Yariko What's a Dremel?

Get new job or just ask for more money, maybe that makes things better, and if you've been 8 years on same company maybe it's time for a raise, in big companies they wont come suggest you a raise so easily, just ask for it or quit as you said :D

I'm currently working on a company, a good company actually, but the money they pay is way low compared to the ammount of work you have to do, and most of the shifts are 9-11hrs, so I'm going to start do only night shifts (eventually quit them too, kinda just back up my day trading business, how it starts and so on), ask for bigger paychecks or quit and start fulltime Day Trading with bit of a risk. I really don't care if they think I'm too cocky, I just feel that I don't get enough money for the work I do, so I don't feel comfortable working there, specially when I need few licences to work on the company and most of the work is kinda physical too.

And my friend does another job in other company and he gets over 1€/h more than me and does not need pretty much any education or licence to do that job, sounds kinda unfair huh? Well world is...

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

**** sucks, that's why I'd hate working a shift type job. I like having 7am-4pm job(summer job that is :)). However during slow times, it isn't as stable. In the winter you'd be lucky to get a 40 hour week, in the summer they frown upon less than 50 a week but that comes with any job related to the building industry. Contractors want stuff yesterday and we don't like to carry a large inventory

6. Canon

Canon Reformed

If my wages were cut by 25% I would walk out and look elsewhere, thankfully I am happy enough to do that but yeah I wouldn't be too chuffed about that.

7. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I wish I had a job.

8. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

I am guessing your paid hourly rather than a weekly/montly salary based on a 40 hour week?

9. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

at the risk of sounding like a insensitive boob, i worked 2 jobs equaling 12 hours a day, 7 days a week for a year and a half straight...cant say sympathize with someone complaining about a part-time job. sometimes we have to make sacrifices to earn a check.

that said, no ones forcing you to stay. tell the manager(s) you either want better hours or youll walk. seeing that its retail, youll probably end up walking but trust me thats better than forming ulcers over a part-time job.

10. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Im with these guys, stop being such a sissy and get on with it :)

I sed to closed up at Starbucks at 10 and would be back in at 6am the next day to open, evening in teaching occasionally there's only 12 hours between leaving school and going back into school.

Sadly, its the way it works sometimes.

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I used to work 14 hour days.

Start at nine - To prepare the store for the onslaught of retards, and then lock up at ten thirty, leaving at eleven at the earliest.

Legally, I was meant to have 12 hours between shifts, but what the hell.

Time to suck it up and deal with it IMO.

12. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

There are worse jobs out there. Sorry dude, but you can't really complain about those hours. It's a shame your not getting the hours you need, is there a reason for the cut down of hours? It will soon be the run up to Christmas too so the retail market will pick up again giving you the extra hours you need.

13. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

I work 60 hour weeks sometime, but have never once been paid overtime. There is just a level of expectation associated with certain jobs.

14. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Agreed with above pub trade isn't much better.

15. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

a big man up is in order here!!

16. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

be glad you have a job ive just been made redundant by a retail company and i was a branch manager.

17. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Wal-Mart really isn't a very nice place, so I'm surprised you've stayed as long as you have. Have you considered moving to a dedicated photo development store? You could possibly expand your skill set there and also hope to increase your take-home pay with time/experience?

At least you'd not be another name-less payroll number, serving the destitute and terminally-pauvre dregs of Wisconsin?

Failing all else, max out a few lines of credit and start your own franchise!

TSB

18. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Thats pretty much standard procedure for Walmart. Sorry bout that man :(

19. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

We have a common proverb: "Quem não chora não mama", or the english variation: "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." Continue complaining and doing something about it. It is not complaining and becoming complacent that makes you get f***ed by bosses like these.

20. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

Imo keep telling your manager you need more shifts, and probably spend the extra time off looking for a new job. But tbh, having no extra-early or late-night shifts as well as no weekends, is what many people wish for. Unless you're supporting a family and the loss of pay is causing you difficulty, I'd make the most of what's left of summer with the extra time off.

Tags: