1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Future Spoofed PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 19 Mar 2011.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

In the process of building a new PC. I'll be picking up parts piece meal and probably finish it around late summer so the cost factor won't be too much of a burden over the course of time! It will be built in to a Fractal Design R3 Black Pearl case and I'm aiming for a nice powerful but fairly quiet PC. Here's a tentative list of components any suggestions appreciated...

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked Sandy Bridge Quad Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced
    Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3 Intel P67 Express Socket 1155
    Memory: Corsair Memory Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Dual Channel (2*4GB)
    Sound Card: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional
    PSU: Enermax ERV1250EGT Revolution 85+ 1250W Modular Power Supply
    Main Hard Drive: Crucial 256GB RealSSD C300 SSD
    Storage Hard Drives: 2TB Western Digital WD20EARS Caviar Green, SATA 3Gb/s, 5400+rpm, 64MB Cache, 8ms
    Loads of Fans: Be Quiet! USC Silentwings FDB (Fluid Dynamic Bearing) with copper core
    Fan Controller: Lamptron FC Touch
    Blu-ray Drive: Samsung 12x BD-ROM/DVDRW Lightscribe SATA

Before you rip me a new one I am considering multiple hard drives for storage and what with everything else going on in this case the 1250W PSU gives me piece of mind! Holding out on the graphics front at the moment but suggestions are more than welcome. Also considering swapping the C300 for a Vertex3 with 2TB Western Digital drives supplementing storage for my Blu-ray/DVD rips. Main uses includes Movie/Music player and also games from the old to the new! :thumb:

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I am going to rip you a new one because picking a PSU like that unless your going tri-SLI is absurd. I don't care how many hard drives you have.

3. murraynt

murraynt Modder

+1

I have The X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty and it's a good card but my god are the drivers bad.
    Buy an ASUS card and save yourself the hassle.

4. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I could run my rig (see sig) with an additional GTX260 and 4 hard drive and even then my PSU was way overkill. Seriously, you don't need such ridiculous power. Just invest somewhere else

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Thought someone might! :D

I do like Enermax a lot. I have had dealings with them directly and the after sales support was phenomenal which only endears me to that brand even more. As far as power usage goes in the end (and after many months buying components) I'm potentially looking at x7 2TB drives, a single SSD, Posible SLI (GTX 580 or future kin), 8 Fans and of course CPU, Motherboard, Sound Card, Peripheral USB devices etc etc.

Had been looking over the Asus sound card murraynt, thanks for the suggestion, I will read up on that one.

6. murraynt

murraynt Modder

No problem
    A Corsair AX 850 will still be more than enough though and has fully braided cables.

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Looks nice, is this PSU fully modular as in every single wire? One irritation with Enermax is the hard wired cables!

8. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

Yeah, all the cables can be detached... makes for super easy installation imo. I'm satisfied with mine as well and not using half the power 90% of the time. probably more like 95% of the time.

9. murraynt

murraynt Modder

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

What is the noise of the PSU like under load? I am looking for peace and quiet so hand on opinions appreciated microsoftPerson!

Thanks for the review links murraynt, you're selling me on this Corsair! :thumb:

Anyone have personal experience of using the Be Quiet! USC Silentwings fans? Always used Akasa Apache 120mm fans in the past but the Be Quiet! do review favorably.

11. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

If you really like ENERMAX and I know why, because I do to, get a 920W instead of the absured 1250, even having 7 2tb hard drives you'll still have plenty of room, also although some of the revolutions cables are hard wired there only the ones you need, 8 pin, 24pin and 2x 6/8 pins even 2 gtx 580's with all those hard drives and a sandy bridge i5 and loads of fans won't make out that psu. Also what monsterous case are you going to be housing all those hard drives in?

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Fractal Design R3 Black pearl sitting right next to me now :D

My current case is a Coolermaster 690 2 Advanced, fantastic for cooling but very poor at containing the noise.

All the other components are open to discussion!

13. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I had 7 3.5" drives installed in my old skool cooler-master ATC, 3 maxing out the drive cage and 4 in a 3x5,1/4 hot-swap bay from silver-stone. It's easy to put loads of drives in a small PC if you use the larger bays.

Oh, and as for the PSU? 7 drives, i7 920 (stock), 285OC. All running perfect on a fully silent Zalman heatpipe 750w

You don't need 1.2kw if you want quiet!

14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Just reading reviews for the Corsair AX850 I'm gradually being sold on that change! :thumb:

I'm seeing some GTX 580's in signatures here and be interested to hear any views.

The Fractal loves rear exhaust cards so considering my options on the graphics front.

15. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

Honestly, my power supply almost never reaches 50% load, and the AX850's fan does not start spinning until 50% . . . with that said I forgot to shut down one of my games the other day and got behind the computer and the combined noise of the graphics card and psu was just a light hum. with the computer on the left side of my desk I cannot hear it at all while using it (with the exception of the dvd drive).

On the other hand, my one criticism of the AX850 would be that they have plenty of room for a larger sized fan in the bottom of the unit (read larger = quieter, well... usually). I really cannot tell whether it is the PSU or graphics card that is attributing to the extra light hum that the system exerts while gaming though so I am not holding it against either of the units. .

16. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

mate go for the enermax 1.2 kw

17. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Thanks for the update microsoftPerson! AX850 it is.

18. Deders

Deders Modder

What's wrong with them? are they any different from any other X-FI driver?

19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

You can still find my PSU as some sites, but it's been replaced with the 920W. If you can find mine, get it as it'sperfect (apart from the captive 24 pin) :)

20. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Didn't just mean my card in particular but all the x-fi drivers in general.