1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gabe Newell says DX10 for Vista was a mistake

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 28 Aug 2007.

1. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Although only 2.3% are "DX10 ready", apparently 4.56% have Nvidia 8800's (presumably half of the owners don't feel that the upgrade to vista is worthwhile yet, or possibly a lot of dual-boot configurations?).

Nice to see i'm one of only 576 users out of 1,092,762 that has an ATi Crossfire setup on Steam :)

2. Tim S

Tim S OG

I agree, there are a lot of people waiting for a reason to upgrade to Vista... and as good as BioShock is, I don't think it's worth paying £100+ for a new OS on top of the £25 for the game because although there are image quality benefits, they're incredibly subtle like we've seen with most of the DX10 content that's been released so far.

Welcome to the forums :thumb:

3. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

edit: frontline beat me to it

4. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Thanks for the welcome :)

I agree that the DX10 effects seen so far have been subtle improvements and am interested to see how far Crysis pushes this (and at what cost to playable frame-rates).

Of concern to a lot of my gaming friends is the move towards shader model 3.0 being a compulsory part of the minimum required specification for recent games (Bioshock and the MOHAA demo included). This excludes some early DX9 cards which are SM 2.0 only. You then have a crazy situation where an Radeon X800 can't run the game, whereas a Radeon X1300 will be compliant, albeit with single figure frame-rates.

5. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Release multiple DX10 titles that will make a purchase of Vista & a new card worth it & THEN people will start buying DX10 cards/games, but until then people are going to stick with the current best....

6. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I very, very strongly support Mr. Newell's comment. Also, someone mentioned D3D10 for game consoles. That really isn't needed as game consoles can emulate DirectX10 functionality quite well in what we can provisionally refer to as 'D3D9 for consoles'.

7. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

i have an 8800 but no vista, and have no current plans to get it in the future

DX9 is going to be around for 5-6 years IMO due to this, so i see no rush for vista

8. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I'm currently building myself a DX10 capapable PC but I won't be running Vista for a very long time, I want to max out all my fav DX9 games on my 24" widescreen and soak up the drool inducing visuals. Once they sort out the problems with Vista I might think about switching but not until at least SP1.

Dual boot? Asking for trouble if you want my opinion. One O/S is enough to deal with without adding a second.

Valve Orange box - my first instinct is to say Ep2 but I do have a sneaking desire to have a go at Portal, the demo looked like a barrel of fun.

9. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Team Fortress Classic 2 all the way! This game looks fantastic....

10. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

pff such DX 9 and 10 and even 11 crap, people like me have no worries about problems like these :hip: *hugs his DX 8.1 card and his unmicrosoft OS*. In other news, OpenGL 3 has been announced, so I'll wait for cards with OpenGL 3 integrated cards. If someone's got some DDR400 lying around, I'll be willing to take those in tho.

I'm looking forward to HL2:EP2!

11. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

ATI was an year late with SM3 cards Nvidia supported SM3 at lest from 5200 (more of an addon for 5200) and higher (pointless tho as its very underpowred card) i think the 6200 had full hardware support for SM3

ATI thay was very late in the game getting SM3 cards out as late as getting there DX10 cards out that was an disapointment unlike there x1950 cards that was very good

to play games on Vista at good speeds you need an new fast pc +4gb of ram + the WDDM patch to stop runaway video from been used on vista,
    i got XP and vista dual booting and my games perform better and faster on XP then thay do on vista (and do not crash and some times take the pc out with it...)

the only good thing i can say about it if your not playing games it works fine
    as long as you do not pop in any software thats any more then 1 year old or some/alot EA games and as long as you do not install any Malware (toolbars, error safe, vxcodec and so on heh) as it only works on XP and will cripple vista and you need to reload windows even if you remove the malware in the last 4 pcs i done

i not even Sell vista at this time as i cant just clean the pc up and get it going i have to wast 2 hrs haveing to reload back up and restore (any know if Norton GoBack works with Vista not been able to obtane an copy yet to test it on vista as the system restore on vista is as bad as XP in the way it does not work when you have an real problem)

12. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

No point in me really upgrading atm and from what I've seen directx 10 kills frame rates, will go to vista in the future just not my time yet.

13. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I can run games fine and I have a cruddy 1 year old system.

Haven't heard of DX11, and I doubt it'll come soon but i know for a fact DX10.1 is arriving in SP1. So if you feel like buying a graphics card in 6-12 months then I suggest you wait for one with DX10.1 and OGL 3 support.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

What's the big deal about DX10 anyway? We haven't even got a graphics card yet that can run DX10 games at decent framerates...

15. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

probly what i wait for but not wanting my 8800 Drop in price to much tho as i like to sell my old hw for better cards

openGL 3 should be good (openGL 2 games just does not seem to even compare to DX9 games any more or its just the way devs program games)

16. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I don't think the problem is with Vista having DX10 only. Even if it was ported to XP, the percentage shown in the article would possibly increase, but nit that much, as most people don't have a directX 10 compatible video card either way. Even in this such community as here, I am sure if a survey is done, most people don't have a DirectX 10 compatible video card. And I'm not talking about one that is powerful enough to play the game on med-high to max settings.

17. kokal

kokal PC Salesman/Overclocker/Modder

I agree that limiting DX10 to Vista was some sort of mistake. But MS did it to Sell it new OS to gamers but do they know that good DX10 Capable Cards cost a lot - I have to say that 8600/8500/2600/2400 cards are a big dissapoitment atm but hopefully with the new 9xxx Series from Nvidia and maybe something from AMD this will change. Also there is this "Wow I need 2 GB of RAM to make my mouse move in Vista :D" and also "Microsoft is sorry for the inconvenience but your PC is out of date and incompatible with Vista - Try using and older OS and SHUT UP :D". I am also like the majority of users using XP. It runs just fine now and there are a lot of titles to choose from. There are quite a lot of games coming out this year (Bioshock already out but my machine is too much outta date) that are DX10 Capable but work on XP too. Develepors are supporting XP because the majority of users that play games have DX9 Cards (atm High End DX9 Hardware has a nice price tag). So I personaly see Vista coming to the majority maybe next year when 4GB DDR2/3 Will cost around 100-150$ and the new DX10 Capable Mainstream Cards offer better performance than current - because now there is such a big gap between 8800 and 8600 for instance. Also there are the power requirements - 550W good quality PSU is required to support a Dual Core Rig@3000+ Mhz 2GBs of RAM, at least one 250/320 HDD and a Compatible MB and such a 8800 card - I want a PC not a toaster.

I know your pain man :). Ubuntu is a very nice OS. The only reason I am not using it is because I play Frozen Throne and there are much problems with running it. Anyway I am currently upgrading (still thinking it though) and will probably use Ubuntu on my current pc. Also yours is not the oldest machine on bit-tech anymore :D

Tags: Add Tags