1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Games I have made

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 9 Jul 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Looking back, I suppose the title for this blog post should have really been "Games I Haven't Made"...

3. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Way to insult pretty much all of your contemporaries :)

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Not really. All of the games journos that I really respect have at least made an effort to make something creative in the field, whether it be mods, maps, soundtracks or just fiddling around with game creation tools.

5. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Good luck with the game Joe (has it got anything to do with last weekend?). Hope this blog doesn't mean that you'll be expecting us to make motherboards and graphics cards in the labs though!

6. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I had a few year stint with the old RPG maker 2k/2k3. even with an engine all set up for me to work around, I still found myself pouring countless hours into something that was going nowhere fast (the end tally of hours ended up in the low thousands). I thoroughly enjoyed making maps and having interactive things in it, despite the amount of grind work it took just to get a small well made village done. Bug testing events and custom scripts became a complete pain in the ass though, especially when spending over an hour debugging a treasure chest that wont work (or several days on a new menu subsystem that ends up getting scrapped). It tends to kill your passion for a project after spending days on end bug testing and fixing what turns out to be only a small party of the game, then realizing you're going to have to repeat the process at least a few dozen more times.

still, it was a lot of fun, and did give me a small idea of what kind of work and effort goes into creating a finished product.

7. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I completely agree on your point Joe, I think alot of pc enthusiasts who are technically inclined and interesed at some point, have tried their hand at making games or at least content (maps/mods) for existing games, and most have probably also failed miserably! :p Myself having tried making maps for UT2K3 and campaigns for NwN, it time consuming and hard making something worth playing to say the least!

8. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

FRED 2 was probably what I used most. Putting together the AI scripts and toggles for just a small battle gave me a lot more appreciation not just for the programmers and artists but for the level designers as well.

Tags: Add Tags