1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Games I Own: Duke Nukem 3D

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Sep 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Jaffo

Jaffo What's a Dremel?

The first PC game I owned, before I even owned a PC! My brother-in-law had a PC and I bought this to see what PCs were like for gaming. That was where my downfall began!

3. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

Duke Nukem 3D was one of the few shareware games of the era I never got my hands on. Somehow, I just always seemed to missed the magazines that had it on the cover CD and as a result I got heavily into Quake instead.

I did manage to get the shareware of one of the Build engine's progeny though: Blood. Now *there* was a game with a black sense of humour, I loved every sick minute of it and finally found out what all the fuss was over the Build engine - such interactivity!

4. Zabuza

Zabuza What's a Dremel?

I remember this from when I was like 14 or something.

Cheats: DNKROX, DNSTUFF

Pixelated boobs Cheesecake.

5. Xir

Xir Modder

Perfect, just Perfect.

We used to play together on Mechwarrior and Space flight sims, one flying using the joystick and the other manning coms and rockets on keyboard.

Still works today buy you need large quantities of cheap wine :D

6. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I remember playing these asian kids in the arcade.. street fighter and it was hillarious- one brother would play for like 5 seconds and then switch with the other brother mid battle.. there was 4 of them

you'd see a dragon punch then the other would jump in while ryu was falling like they'd done it a million times xD I just let them win- talk about recycling a quarter

7. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

i too remember having the shareware version, and at the time, all the little extra things you could do where amazing (my favourite still has to be trapping enemies in the closing downwards doors and watching them go SPLAT)

8. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Reminds me of Realms of the Haunting: one player on the mouse, one player on the arrow keys, and one player on the number and letter keys for all the extra stuff you had to press just to stay alive.

DN3D was a fantastic little game. The tech behind the Build engine was creaking under its own aging weight but by using such old technology 3D Realms could spend their time on content instead of graphics: something they unfortunately forgot about with DNF.

9. Jux_Zeil

Jux_Zeil What's a Dremel?

Te first time I ever saw the character of a FPS in game in a mirror........epic!

10. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Yeah good memories, the game came with a really good level editor too to make your own Duke maps to play in. I liked making a big stage with the microphones and speakers and creating loads of enemies in the moshpit lol

11. st1x

st1x Surviving on low specs since '86

Duke was indeed one of the highlights of my youth, but does anyone else remember the other games that used a similar engine and were of that era?

Shadow warrior
    Blood
    Redneck Rampage

To this day i still havnt found a full copy of shadow warrior, ergo i never completed it :waah:

WHO WANTO SOME WAAAANG!!!

blood was awesome....pitchforks and twin tommy guns? ill have a large portion of that thank you...

Redneck rampage.....the ultimate in drunk chicken shooting alien invasion scenarios

Nic

12. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Dunno if this is any good to you: http://www.jonof.id.au/jfsw JonoF's Shadow Warrior Port (JFSW)

Features of this port:

* Native Windows and Linux port using my Build engine port.
    * OpenGL rendering support.
    * True-colour textures support.

The aim of this port is to present Shadow Warrior as closely as possible to the original game while adding optional features to expand the possibilities of the game.

13. st1x

st1x Surviving on low specs since '86

Ive already got that....jonoF has definitely got some skills as its how i mainly play duke3D nowadays, however you need some files from the shareware/full version.....all of his work is basically a way of porting that game to run on your pc....think of it as SCUMMVM ( the script creation utility for manic mansion virtual machine ) without the files to play Monkey Island

you have to have the originals for it to be any use.....which sucks.

Good find though.

Nic

Tags: Add Tags