1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Games Workshop

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by [ZiiP] NaloaC, 17 Jan 2011.

1. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

yup, flamers are auto hits, and stuff like demolisher cannons are heavy D3... so alot of weapons like the Demo cannon, feel like they just got nerfed into oblivion

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

I hate that GW keep trying to get rid of this, my entire IG strategy used to be get the first turn and then LARGE BLAST TEMPLATE.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Oh.

Well that's lame.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I thought some former pie-plate guns got bonus 'shots'/hits vs some targets... so it was d3 vs vehicles, d6 vs infantry... partly to mitigate that nerf.

5. lilgoth89

yeah they do, but its still D6 shots vs units with 5 or more models in, and its still easy as pie to miss, where if you fire the Demo cannon back in the day, you could just mash a unit that came out a transport, the Transport itself, and often other units in the same template, or scatter and still wipe out half a squad, or even scatter off the troops you could see, round a corner to a command squad you couldn't see

and it was always a good moment placing the template down, i know it caused many, MANY arguments over the EXACT direction of the scatter, but i still think it was worth it

6. RedFlames

I do remember pie plating a monolith, and the monolith model being so big that even on maximum scatter you had to be incredibly unlucky to not to hit it

7. liratheal

The big sucker of a template, nine or ten inches, was always fun to throw down. Especially from the plasma blast gun on warhounds and the stormblade.

8. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Well-Known Member

Oh the sheer joy of dropping a large blast template from a Particle Whip onto 2 mobs of Ork boyz and leaving 2 mobs of 20 with only 2 models left :D

The look of utter despair on the guys face was epic!

liratheal likes this.
  9. lilgoth89

the plasma blastgun is such a cheesecake weapon. Glad it was my first custom made part that i made myself and it has proved quite popular, and ive even seen Ebay sellers who print out these things to sell, including them

but i do understand why it was removed, to many arguments ( especially in Competitive but not tournament level games )

i also dislike the removal of options in the Imperial Knight codex, i dont know if it was done to add pages to the book, but i would of simply said 'here is your chassis you must pick two of the following weapon options'
    rather than choosing out of the myriad of knight classes that are all the same stats, but with different weapons...

also while im ranting WHY THE FUDGE did they move all the point costs to the back page ? situation goes like this
    so i have a squad of 10 guys who are,
    *scroll to back-page *
    this many points
    *scroll back to list page*
    oooh i can talk a plasma gun for..
    *scroll to back page*
    X amount of points
    *scroll back to list page
    *oh and id like a powerfist for
    *scroll to backpage again *
    this many points.

its a royal ball ache and i much prefer the old system of having the upgrades and their points costs listed on the page rather than endless scrolling between pages, although i also wish you could buy *rules only* codex's rather than 50 pages of blurb you read once, and 50 pages of *look how pretty this all looks*

/ rant over

Also which armies do you love facing on the Tabletop ? for me its Orks and 'Nids, even though i never played that much, i never had a bad game vs either of those armies

10. liratheal

I think points as we know and love them are meant to be taking a back seat to "combat power" ratings. Which is kind of arse, IMO.

I was told the closest to rules only codexes was the Index: <blurgh> books - They seem close, but not sure they get updated as often as codexes and the like.

My favourite was basically anything that'd play me. Playing Templars with a power fist, power sword, and melta gun in every squad meant there wasn't much that was too tough to crack vehicle wise, and with the Templar vows giving rerolls, eight CCW marines per squad, it was an absolute shitload of WS4/STR4 dice. Only 'nids and orks really got close to throwing the same kind of dice volume as me, so weight of dice tended to crumble even the hardiest of CC units.

11. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Well, finally got my Van Saar gang completed and my niece got her Escher gang built too.

Now we're onto the painting stage. Trying to get my niece interested into Necromunda the last while. As a joint Birthday-Christmas present, I got her 2 boxes of Escher (one from the boxed game, one standalone) and a set of weapons from Forge World and 3 boxes of paints (Get Started, Base, Layers) and a box of washes for me.
    We dabbled a little yesterday evening with getting painting started. I'm going with a Castellan Green base for the body suits with dark crimson armour plates. Niece is just going for whatever she wants.

It's a starting point for her and it's fun to see her getting excited about building and painting. Really looking forward to learning and teaching her the game.

A box of those Ambot models are going to be must-haves for me. If they release a nice model for the Phyrrix for Escher, I'll say it to my niece and she if she wants to order one or two for herself.

The new models are obscenely detailed and the parts are so frikking small! The heads are the size of a Space Marine grenade!

12. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus Rule #9

Cool, I am sure I shall be doing the same with my nephew once he is a bit older.

The ones that I am waiting to find out some more about are the Spyrers. Not seen anything yet for them. I used to run a Spyrers gang and, although you had to be very careful to start with due to lack of numbers, once you got a few levels up and unlocked a few bits, they were insane. The big fella (Orrus I think) was about as close to a Space Marine that you could get. I know why they did it, but the only thing that annoyed me was that once they hit a certain level they disappeared back off to the spyre and you had to recruit a new baby. never got to try out the matriarch and patriarch though, they would have been fun.

13. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Last edited: 12 Jan 2019
  14. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Oh, you and me both fella! :D

I used to play with Escher and Spyrers. The Orrus could end up with a 2+ invulnerable save against shooting attacks and power armour (essentially), along with 2 rapid-fire bolt launchers that could roll 3 sustained fire dice. Beastly.
    The Malcadon with a 24" charge was something that some other gangs just couldn't anticipate. Malcadons were my favourite of the lot, so I ran with two. It's also why I bought that piece off Mark Gibbons :D

I never liked the Matriarch and Patriarch, the models were utter muck.

Speaking of which, I got my first Van Saar completed today:
    [​IMG]

15. lilgoth89

downloaded Battlescripe to work out my Space Marines... blasted through the 10k mark before even starting on the HQ slots, or adding the knights, or allies, or titans....

16. RedFlames

17. lilgoth89

curious if anyone can guess what im working on :p

[​IMG]

18. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

Imperator class titan?

19. lilgoth89

Very close, if i ever go for a Titan larger than the warlord, i most likely will not print it, i will build it out of wood and print detail for it,
    its the upper Leg section for the Reaver, the model isnt complete yet, but im already working on upping the detail and polygon count from Titanicus to 40k

20. liratheal

Heh. If I'd been faster, those are indeed Reaver legs!

I don't have the pictures I don't think, but sadly enough I can recall most of the parts of that beast if there's any gaps you need filling.