1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gaming adverts becoming a big business

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 24 Mar 2006.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I've got no problem with ingame adverts, the more common they become the easier it'll become to remove the annoying ones. Already its very easy to remove the Anarchy Online ones(replace any offending files with empty ones, of course, this would violate your Eula, and I'm sure we all care lots about that).

I can't really see this as anything other then a further justification for piracy. If we're watching adverts, they're getting money from adveristers for us watching said adverts, so, why should we pay? If adverts are "A financial reality for today" then I think, game developers are going to find piracy the averages gamers "financial reality for today" more and more.

Of course if games with adverts became cheaper, and you could buy ones without adverts, for an extra few pounds, maybe some people who can't afford £30 games could buy £20 ad supported ones. But will this happen, I think its unlikely.

2. Wrigley1

Wrigley1 What's a Dremel?

Here's an idea; game companies release 2 versions of a game; basically the same game, but with one difference, that being that one has advertisements and the other doesn't. The advertisement-filled game would cost considerably less, the game companies would make the same amount of money, and gamers would have the choice whether they wanted to buy the advertisement edition or not. Simple.

3. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

I'm paying for it, keep the ads out. Give me a free (full version) download then you can put ads in.

Doesn't much simpler than that. And I have to agree with some of the comments. If in game ads become the norm then I'll stop playing.

-G

4. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Whilst I earlier said that I didn't mind in-game ads as long as they were suitable and didn't ditract my concentration from playing the said game then I would be fine.

However I just KNOW that the damn industry will exploit this and will basically just dump adverts everywhere in the game and lower the price (or not even) just a bit.

Tags: Add Tags