1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Gaming from virtualised Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Fordy, 5 Sep 2010.

1. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

Is there any (and how much, how can it be avoided, if at all, etc.) performance degradation from gaming in Windows under a virtual machine ran on Ubuntu?

Thanks, Ollie.

2. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a virtualized windows wouldn't have 3d hardware acceleration.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The only solution to your porblem is to use Wine (or similar software) for Linux. It won't be great, but it's something. Your best bet is to switch to Windows 7 (dual boot) when you want to game to get maximum performance.

As mentioned, in a virtual environment, you have no 3D support. Well some environment has, but it's only basic support. If you run your virtual environment, on it, check your system specs, you will see that under your Windows environment, despite having a ultra fancy graphic card in your system, you'll have some VIA S3 or early Intel GPU.

4. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

VMWare can do dx9

5. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

VirtualBox has experimental Direct3D support but I doubt it will be any good

6. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

Ok, that's what I wondered, thanks.

I currently dual boot, but my W7 has gotten clunky, as Win often seems to do, so I've fancied something fresh and think I'll switch over to Ubuntu as my primary, and use 7 just for games and development..

Can't believe someone recommended WINE for gaming though.. it's enough of a /facepalm with anything simple - iTunes is too much for it.

By the way - my "ultra fancy GPU" - is a 9400GT lol.. by CPC's spec, BC2 is unplayable on lowest settings.. But I get by ;) 11fps min and 21 max.. hell yeah.

7. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

and yet games make up the overwhelming majority of Wine's Platinum and Gold lists for ease of installation and use- http://appdb.winehq.org/

8. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

My bad. I've had mostly poor experiences with it.

I will check out Steam on WINE - but will probably still dual boot, I wouldn't want "will it work in WINE.." to be a factor determining whether or not I buy a game.

Thanks,