1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Geekbench scores

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 14 Dec 2011.

1. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I was thinking bolting the rad itself to the windowsill, have it pointing at the window. Free cold air intake. Use a couple of Quick Disconnects on the case itself, so if ever I have to move my PC for cleaning: I shalln't have to drain the whole loop in order to be able to move it.

The EK Supreme LT 360 kit looks like a good starting point, add in some more tubing and a bit more liquid, the AMD motherboard universal kit, about £300 in watercooling parts grand total.

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

3. .//TuNdRa

Sometimes: I love this bulldozer.

4. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

What the one thats £144 on scan? That looks like a bloody good buy and sounds like a good idea, I'm using quick disconnects for my 1080 rad otherwise I don't think I'll ever be able to move my computer again :p

Oh and LOL ;D

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Haaha well it won't be me because my 920 is now in the post!

There's "normal" air cooling, and there's "benching" air cooling - eg, a D14, Silver Arrow or TRUE Cu with two 6000rpm server fans feeding them cool air at a rate of 250 CFM. Water might have the performance edge (and it's just an edge), but it certainly doesn't have the flexibility.

As for chipset cooling, the same applies - stock northbridge chipset sinks are just lumps of anodized aluminium with crappy TIM underneath them... put a Thermalright heatpipe sink on your northbridge with high airflow and you'll see temps similar to what you would with a waterblock on it.

I've been benching with air for five years now and have never dreamed of touching water... IMO it's much better suited to 24/7 cooling, as Spreadie said. ;)

6. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

gave it a quick run, I'm pretty happy to do well at any benchmark since my gpu died.

[​IMG]

The hardware info isn't recognizing my OC: 4.5Ghz, stock volts, air cooling.

pretty good considering I haven't played with the RAM speeds or BCLK freq. at all.

7. Ratchet219

Ratchet219 What's a Dremel?

Is every chip the same? Take 1156 I7 for example @ 4.0 compere to I7 920 @ 4.0 - I7 920 wins. Why? Same clock speed, same memory.

8. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Different memory controller, different IPC (I think). Triple channel memory offers more bandwidth than dual channel.

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

No, the chips are not the same. Comparing 1156 (P55) to 1366 (X58) is comparing a midrange platform to a high end platform. X58 wins out because it has QPI and triple-channel memory (both affording higher memory bandwidth, ergo better memory performance) and all X58 CPUs have hyperthreading whereas only three of the P55 CPUs have it.

So, an i5 750 at 4GHz will get trashed in Geekbench by an i7 920 @ 4GHz.

Edit: ninjanoiz strikes again lol :D

Last edited: 11 Jan 2012
  10. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

Pssst.... Pookey, my CPU speed was 5.3GHz for the class leader bit.

11. .//TuNdRa

The issue is that; around the sheer size of the Archon and both GPUs; I don't have room to fit a large heatsink for my Northbridge. There simply isn't the space. I don't want to have to downgrade my CPU cooling in order to try and keep the motherboard cool. I'd rather get a slight upgrade on both, and try something new, all at the same time.

12. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Grrrr.....

Fixed.

13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Fair enough. Have you replaced the stock TIM under the northbridge? I do that with all motherboards which have notoriously high NB temps or which reputedly use poor TIM... in any case it's a good move, as long as the stock heatsink can be removed and replaced easily.

I suspect AMD is different, because after years of benching Intel I've never had any reason to opt for better chipset or VRM cooling. ;)

14. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

You explained it in more detail though :D What is this i7 750 you speak of? ;) And I know all too well X58 destroys P55 in geekbench :( No amount of vcore or high speed memory will allow me to catch up. Clearly more upgrades are needed :D

15. shaunster1011

shaunster1011 What's a Dremel?

Oh yeah pookey my latest score the ram was at 2133 not 1866 :thumb:

Incidently it looks like that will be my last score, my chip simply will not boot past 5GHz

16. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Ooooops... corrected :D

Hyperthreading is your arch nemesis... I ran the bench with HT off and got only 9429, compared to 11154 with HT on. But the score rockets with a higher uncore speed. Geekbench is definitely favours hyperthreading and high memory bandwidth more than raw CPU speed.

17. .//TuNdRa

It's because the NB partially handles inter-core communication too (Because of HT). The memory controller might be in the processor, but it's still dramatically limited by the NB speeds.

Sadly the NB does not like being OC'd. Hence the heat.

The VRMs, on the flipside, are happy with outputting anything up to 1.7V before they seem to warm up to the point where i'd be concerned, so I'm not too worried about those.

18. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Nearly bought the whole SB-E setup, this is with the i7 3960x (£820!!!!) and Asus formula and 16gb of 1866mhz RAM. I was going to whack it on the credit card and at the last minute i just couldnt hand over the card. Now im regretting it

19. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Boards updated.

20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I don't like you. I don't like you one bit. I was happy being 500MHz short of the fastest 2500K, now I need to go and pull out another 100. :D