1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GeForce 8800 renamed to 9800GT what driver should i instal ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WolfandAngel, 17 Dec 2008.

1. WolfandAngel

WolfandAngel Got fins?

hello i need help. i just fund out that my 8800GT was renamed to a 9800gt which driver should i instal ?

i'v always had problems with the 8800gt driver :confused::wallbash:

2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

your 8-series card was not 'renamed'. the 9800gt is a different card to the 8800gt. if you bought an 8800gt, it is still an 8800gt.

anyways, the 8, 9 and 200 cards all use the same driver, so it doesn't matter.

3. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Toad, The 9800gt and 8800gt are the same. Only difference is the name & maybe Hybrid power.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Nvidia uses a unified drivers set. So the latest drivers will do.

Just for self-knowledge, however does not concern you at all:
    Now it must be noted that if you have old video cards like a Geforce FX or older than what happens is that the latest driver kinda let go on the optimization and proper tests of these old video cards. So older drivers will give you a higher performance. However, you are MANY years away until you fall into such situation, and at that time, you would probably switch 2 or even 3 video cards from what you have now, so no worries.

Sorry the Geforce 8800GT and the 9800GT are not the same. The architecture is the same yes, but the 9800 is more powerful. See it as a tweaked up 8800GT and bug fixes (yes) and other improvements.

5. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

I'd rather takes Tim's word for it.

But yeah the drivers can be used for most of the cards avail today.

6. WolfandAngel

WolfandAngel Got fins?

Thanx but on this german site it says so
    Ore a'm i a complete noob!

7. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

it the same thing, maybe a couple of small changes but they are never more than .5 a frame apart in testing

8. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

The 8800 and 9800 are more or less the same card - there are a few differences, but it's nothing significant (or even noticeable in most cases). However, the 8800 you own is and will always be an 8800; manufacturers don't rename things which have already been sold.

From your perspective, it doesn't matter anyway, because I'm fairly sure they use the same driver. When you go to their site and select which card you have, it seems like you're getting a special driver, but it's actually having you download the same file. If it makes you happy, go ahead and download the 9800 driver. You'll get the same file.

If you've been having problems, are you sure they're with the video driver, and not with something else? I haven't had problems with a video driver in at least five years, but I've had plenty of flaky power supplies, error-prone southbridge chipsets, bad RAM, and failed hard drives. If you're having trouble with your computer, make another thread in the appropriate forum, and list your symptoms. Someone will be able to help you sort things out.

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

It's not even a question of this.
    The drivers detects your video card that you have and install the appropriate drivers for your video card. If your video card support PhysiX it will install it. If not it doesn't.