1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I know this is preaching to the converted but….

I’d just like to emphasise how absolutely brilliant this game is! The new maps are A-mazing, and complement the ones that shipped with the game very well indeed. I went 25-6 on Strike at Karkand last night, and played some of the most breathtaking games on Sharqi.

Highlights were;

Strike at Karkand
    Flanking towards F and G from spawn and C4ing a tank while my sniper friend distracted it.
    Murdering an entire squad with a burst of fire from the M249 at E (trains)
    Swimming across the river to F from the train line while the rest of my squad supressed the people spawning there, and then climbing up the ladder and opening up into about 5 guys who didn’t know what was going on.

Sharqi Peninsula
    Spawning and firing an M320 straight into a house based purely on intuition only to get a double kill
    Seeing a guy slip down the hill near the fence I was hiding up against, and unloading a full mag blindly into the fence to get the kill
    Getting involved in ridiculous firefights in the half finished buildings by E (I think), where no one knew who was firing from where.
    Reviving my sniper buddy, then bailing out of his building only to see an entire squad piling up the stairs. Needless to say he was massacred.

Wake Island
    Gunning in the AH as my friend bucketed along about 5 metres above the beach before evading a missile and flying under the bridge.
    Manning the Minigun on the transport heli as we raced up on an AH just lifting off after repair at the airport and unloading the full force of the minigun into it and getting a double kill.

Every round contains so many cinematic and memorable moments, just simply incredible stuff!

2. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

This is a noob question I realise but having just un-locked the Javelin for the engineer, how do you shoot down planes with it? I can only seem to lock ground vehicles with it. Also, in battle log, the weapon description for it states it has 2 firing modes, direct fire and some kind of top down mode but how do you make it change fire mode? It's a little odd, I had one shot that went up and struck its target on the top, other shots seem a little less steep but I don't think I am doing anything different each time...!?

3. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Javelin is for ground Vehicles, Stinger is Air. And to change any weapons firing mode press V! I didnt know the Javelin had two firing modes lol

4. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

The javelin's basic fire is pretty much a straight firing missile, the secondary shot is when you get lock on via recon's soflam or the jet/heli's laser pointer.
    In that mode it is a top down shooter and so long as the target is painted, you can fire at it even if there is no direct line of sight

5. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

The Physical Warfare Pack material is now available to all.

Can't see any official release about it, but just checked my customisation options in-game and they're all there.

Additionally, i see that the Jackhammer has a suppressor available for it! :D
    Fully automatic suppressed shotgun! Yes please!

6. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Explain that to the jets and helicopters marked by SOFLAM getting 3 Javelin rockets on their asses at once :naughty:.

7. Achilleas.k

Achilleas.k Minimodder

Wrt Javelin firing modes: Ooooh yeah 'V' for firing modes. I saw the description as well but didn't bother to check the firing mode key.

I haven't been on at all since last week. Had a busy weekend and need to get a lot of work done before the end of the week where we enter "the holiday period" and can never get any work done. I should be back online and throwing myself in front of enemy fire tonight, or tomorrow.

8. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I totally didn't know about different firing modes :3

9. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

Stuff that I unlocked

Yeah... I also realised about the Warfare Pack and only noticed yesterday that I didn't key in the code yet... silly me.

I also finally unlocked the Jackhammer as well... pity that now I'm holiday I won't be able to game till after the new year :waah: I really want to try it out with the suppressor on the Kharg Island map with all those containers. Or maybe metro.

Anyways I will come on the CPC server next year...until then :D

10. Achilleas.k

Achilleas.k Minimodder

I change firing modes quite often on rifles, e.g., changing to burst fire for long range shots, or even using an assault rifle with a long range scope and semi-auto firing mode. It just didn't occur to me to try it with a different type of weapon.

11. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

To bad the USAS is better in every single way compared to the "Jackhammer". Better ROF/RPM, less spread, more ammo (?) and it's not even that good with frag round :lol:... but the jackhammer does look pretty boss

12. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

cheers for that, so I assume the soflam is a laser designator that the recon class gets, a so called gadget? or....?

I noticed yesterday that I seem to have access to a DOA12 with buckshot rounds all of a sudden, but I am sure it was meant to be a part of the limited eidition by default? Was it a rank related unlocked or has it been released as part of this Warfare pack?

Finally, does anyone here use a logitec G400 who can give me some advice about setting up a custom button profile for BF3? I don't seem to be able to assign the thumb buttons to gadgets and the like from within the key bindings menu in the game but also wonder what other little changes I can make. Increasing my DPI to 1600 has made a good difference to flying, and upping it on the fly to 3200 when in a tank turret also make a noticeable difference but I am sure there must be some useful button configs out there specific to BF3.

13. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

SOFLAM is Recon class' unlock. so yes, u need to play combo with a recon to be most effective.
    my personal fav with javelin is spam the team-chat with "ANYBODY GOT SOFLAM???" it works pretty good. especially with Karkand where 1 of the assignments is to get laser lock with SOFLAM. Wake Island usually has lotsa SOFLAM...

DOA is part of the warfare pack, yes :)

Javelin has different modes??? wha.... i didnt kno that either :D

@Parge
    the furthest ladder to go out of the water in F is behind wall. safest spot to climb up and usually unguarded. from there a recon can sprint to the edge of the map, drop a beacon in the corner, and lay waste to any defending force.

As for Sharqi, TV tower (just like in BF2) has a little nook in the first floor that people barely know. drop a beacon there is safest and go attack people jumping off 2nd floor if the tower is capped to the enemy.

14. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

The javelin does have two modes but I thought that top attack was only engaged (and always engages) when the target is lasered?

15. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

I miss the Blackhawk on Wake & Oman

16. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

The real thing has it's own onboard laser targeting system. Raytheon. Other than to speed up lock-on I don't know what a designator could do for it.

In the game, when used in conjunction with SOFLAM, damage increases from 1/3 to 1/2 for tanks.

17. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Blackhawk is missing, be good if they just imported it from BC2.

18. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

I miss it on Mashtuur City! It was so much fun being a door gunner on that map (with a decent pilot of course) :p

19. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

I hope we see more DLC in the form of Mashtuur City, Dragon Valley & a few Special Forces maps, night maps would be mint!

20. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

Blackhawk on Mashtuur City is THE BEST chopper experience i had in BF2 lol

i agree with SpecForces maps, but i'll be happy if they can add zip-line and grappling hook :rock: