1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. Zehetmayr

Zehetmayr Minimodder

You are probably right. Although it might turn into drunken smash when I find the beta still isn't up and the download is chugging along at 30kbs! Never had nerd rage but I'm guessing that might be the time.

2. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

that is one of the craziest config ive ever seen.... why would.... ah whatever works for u :thumb:

on the bright side, thats an awesome idea to prank on ur buddy.

3. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    It was an evolution.
    With Wolfenstein, Doom, etc just used the arrow keys and space to shoot, I think.
    Then came Quake and started using the mouse to look and fire. Jump was RCtrl.
    With Quake 3 Arena and UT started using the RMB to jump and MB4 for alt-fire.

Too many years of habit to change.

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Ditto for me, I can't use the main k/b keys for movement, it just doesn't feel right.

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Anyone know if you can change your soldiers name in the beta? Currently it is set to my Origin ID, which is not what I want. I have set my default persona in the EA account manager, but it is still using my Origin ID.

6. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

No, you cannot. It is what your Origin accont name is. Again, this way verified a good while back.
    Unfortunate though, I will say that much.

7. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Wow - that is a bit rubbish to say the least. It's weird I can play as Jedra via EA on PS3, XBL and BC2 and I can't using BF3. It kind of puts me off because my OriginID is my real name (set up years ago on the EA system) and I don't necessarily want everyone to know it.

Is there a way to change the Origin ID - I have googled a bit and can't see anything of use.

8. Redbeaver

might have to email support.

first time i created the origin account it pulls that my email has registered as EA account, so all they ask me is to create an Origin ID. an Origin username. your alias. your tag.

and (with a big red letters of warning) it will be the last user tag you'll ever use in Origin... lol

took me an hour probably to pick one, but i'm all ready now! (somebody else took Redbeaver though :()

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

If you have not purchased through Origin already could you not Dload again using a secon email address? and open a new account?

I know this will be a hassle but it may work!

10. Redbeaver

the fact that he noticed his in-game name is the OriginID, means he's in-game today.

means he's playing early access.

means he pre-ordered it.

means.... yeah.

unless, i hope im wrong, u havent bought anything, so u can just register with another email. or try to get support to change it for u.

11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

He may have early access through MOH, that was my thought anyway

Good luck

12. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

It also says your in-game name in the origin client. No need to buy anything to see

13. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Got my beta access via Medal Of Honour.

You can apparently change your Origin ID if you jump through hoops with the support area, but you lose all your progress on that account and all linked accounts. I am not particularly wanting to do this. Reading various posts it seems that some of the support people are willing to do this and some are not.

When I converted my old EA account to origin a while back, I missed the opportunity to change the name on the account (which was apparently a 'once only' chance. Even if I had noticed this, I probably wouldn't have as no other game linked to my account makes me play as that account name - they all either use the EA personas, or allow you change your name in game.

In BattleLog it describes my soldier as the 'active' soldier and the page design looks very much like it should support multiple soldiers, but I can see no way of adding one.

This is very disappointing. It may not seem like a big issue, but I think having your real name opens up a lot of avenues for abuse (both in the security sense and the traditional sense). I can't see why the option to change it isn't available, or why BF3 operates the same way as BC2 in that you can chose your soldiers name.

I have it on pre-order with Amazon, which thankfully means should I decide to purchase it, I will be able to set up another Origin Account and add the game to that account.

Anyway, my initial 1 hour experience so far is mixed - it really doesn't feel like a Battlefield game at all and it does feel more like a generic FPS. In BC2 and previous BFs (and I have owned them all) I always got the sence I was invloved in a war and the sense of scale was always there. This so far seems rather claustrophobic and dare I say it more akin to a CoD type game. I will obviously play some more, but these are my first impressions.

14. Redbeaver

that explains it. but yes, i wouldn't want to use my real name in there so it took a while for me to create the originID. it *IS* a big issue IMHO. but in BF2 u cant change ur name either as its tied to ur progress, is it not? i'm all for using an ID instead of real name, but all against for not being able to create a soldier name once u buy the game.
    what if i want to use my originID for some games i bought in origin, but for others, i like to use a different nickname?
    glad u got it through Amazon :)

i can see the whole naming account challenge can be a big issue for BF3.

uh oh...

but then again, its only 1-map. and it lacks vehicle, which is a big deal in the BF series. so i would take it a grain of salt too.:brrr:

i understand what ur saying tho, i owned all BF2+packs too and i loved it. even the special forces pack have a couple maps where vehicles are not a big deal, infantry-focused map, but it still feels... "BATTLEFIELD". it feels Grand.

but yeah, indoor-heavy maps will definitely feels... "COD-like" :p i cant think of a BF2 original map that feels claustrophobic. the Caspian gameplay video definitely doesn't feel claustrophibic. but the Metro inside-of-subway definitely looks CoD... :grr:

o well. we'll just have to wait for another month :naughty: tho im still kinda pissy about Karkand being a special pre-order map.... that should be available to ALL.:rock:

15. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

From the FAQ.

Is this for those who don't have an Origin Account before hand then?

Or else there'd be no point to "reserve"/keep my Soldier Name as it's my Origin ID anyways.

And somewhat annoyed by that... it's the same name i use here on the forums, but in games i generally prefer to use a different one.

16. Treacles

Treacles Minimodder

Was lucky enough to have a mate give me his Code cause his computer wouldnt play it well right now... Worst time ever to get throttled speeds tbh -.-

17. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

All the servers are full at the moment anyway!

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

It is near impossible to join a low-ping server.
    The gameplay and environment are similar to any other FPS out there.
    Nothing really stands out. Except for Battlelog requirement.

19. Treacles

Treacles Minimodder

In 3 hours i'll be able to find this out for myself ;D

20. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Ah its ok. My mind had hyped it up to be be unreal. After 3 games on the metro map im already bored of it nobody can get passed the second objectives! I want some new scenery but its no happening.