1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Google Chrome OS: Facts and Rumours

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 21 Jul 2009.

1. Mr Moulinex

Mr Moulinex What's a Dremel?

Dicobalt is right for the most part. Think about it - it would become PAY AS YOU GO COMPUTING - if most (or all) of YOUR apps and data are stored "somewhere" other than on YOUR machine - its subject to all sorts of things... charges, snooping, and then, theres the thorny issue of WHO actually OWNS the data (as you are not storing it, are you?!)

On the plus side - re the quote about "safe" use for schools etc... sounds nice in practice, but you know kids......

Still, my main point sticks - pay as you use computing... and I for one, don't intend to subscribe to that hype. Yeah, I gotta pay for windoze if I still use it... however ubuntu does for me fine at the moment if I use apps.... and I will NEVER subscribe to the apple myth....

2. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

I am sorry to say, but most of you are severely misinformed.

1) Can anybody post a citation for "Google OS is going to be a cloud OS" statement?
    (thought not)

just because it uses Google docs, gmail, Google talk, etc.. does not mean its going to be Cloud only.

(forgetting about Google gears are we?)

2) InformationWeek has a good article on CHROME, and I believe they mentioned that the foray into netbooks for google will come FIRST, but they will then transition to Desktop builds.

3) MOST IMPORTANT:

Google will NEVER EVER charge you for using their service (for personal use).

WHY? The second they start charging for personal use is the second their ENTIRE F*CKING BUSINESS MODEL GOES DOWN THE DRAIN.

Do any of you understand WHERE Google gets their money from? I can tell you it isn't their Gmail service, or their docs service, or their other 100s of web apps or software they own.

IT IS THEIR ADVERTISING REVENUE THAT IS MAKING THEM PROFITS.

Everything they do, they do to increase market share, and get more people to their sites, products, services so they can show you relevant ads that you click on.

With the type of people Google employs, do you really think that they can't come up with a solution to allow you to play games on their OS?

Tags: Add Tags