1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google resists subpoena

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 20 Jan 2006.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Go Google! For a while it was jokingly said that their motto chaned to "Do less evil than Microsoft" (around the image-based ad talks, but I don't care as I don't see googleads anyways, adblock for the win!), at least someone cares about our constitutional privacy rights.

Umm... using a robot to automatically insert related ads isn't invading privacy. A human never actually reads it...

3. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

so would they just handle info from searches on google.com or also google.co.uk et al?

4. Malvolio

Malvolio .

5. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Yeah, sorry malf, just found your post in SD. But if you found it, then you should be using the news submit feature and writing it up for us, rather than just telling us post-facto! :D Then you could have YOUR name in lights! :p

6. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

good one google.

Boo his yahoo first the xfire lawsuite now this...

7. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Why would I do that? My name is already featured in SD, and I can claim that I discovered it faster than bit. But anyways, I'm far too lazy/busy (with work) to write up a full artical like the editors here do, so I'm happy with my small contributions in SD.

8. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

googles in the right, its an international company and US goverment has no control over us forigen nations.....well it has a little...but not enough for this.

9. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Feel free to use the Contact page to email us Editors with important news, if you're not too busy. You don't have to write 500 words - just point to the source, or your SD thread and we'll work it up with credit.

10. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

Just out of curiosity cant the UN come into play here and say... hang on a min. As the US will be getting info on foreign users aswell.

Ok i know the UN is pretty useless and pretty much controlled by the US. I find it hard to believe that the majority or the US population turn a blind eye about stuff like this.

First the patriot act, then the spying thing.. now this. Where will they stop. I will be glad to see the bush administration out of office. I dont know how a monkey gets control of the most powerful country in the world.

People should not be afraid of their governments, Governments should be afraid of their people.

Your local Bit-tech freedom 'fighter'
    - Nix :p

11. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Alright! Another reason for me to hate my Country's President! :thumb:

I am seriously sick and tired of all this Legislation the Bush admin. is pushing. I sent tons of emails to my representative about the Patriot act, and now this along with the other crap they've been pulling.

Can I come live with you other B-Ters in the TRUE land of the free? I am now afraid to look up *cough* keys *cough* on the web so I can play my games.

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

GOOGLE ALL THE WAY!!!!!
    UN is a hand puppet for the USA, yes, they have a hand up their asses and are realy useless
    USA is descending in my consideration.
    the world is f..... crazy and getting f...... worse. some day spying will be blamed on games.LOL

13. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

If he goes I'm going with him! Unfortunatly for us, getting out of this country, or more to the point finding another to take us, is much harder than it looks (yes, I've looked into it). maybe we can convince our BT brethern to set up a special refugee program for thinking Americans.

I've been listening to the Canadian political ads (Election is Monday) and the Liberals are accusing the Conservatives of being too friendly with the Americans. Nice to see out northern neighbors aspire to be more than simply in our shadow.

Last edited: 20 Jan 2006
  14. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Firstly - Go Google! Good to see someone with the nouce to say "we have some rights to electronic privacy". If the US government does decide to get heavy handed and take them to court I could only see them beeing forced to hand over the Google.com list as lists from sister sites contain info on foreign users and their respective governments should stand up to the the request.

On second thoughts, I'm trying to remember the last time the Australian and British PMs said "No Dubbya - I think what you are doing is bad."

If the US gov gets the .com list and only the .com list this would just lead to US people using the .com.au or .co.uk etc sites to get off the big brother lists so I don't know what the solution is (apart from them not getting the list in the first place).

15. Pretty Gurl

Pretty Gurl Banned

Google will have no choice but to give the Bush administration what they want. I believe that the real purpose of all this is to control terrorism which makes sense if you think about it.

16. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Bye, troll... :rolleyes:

Good on Google - it does seem rather strange that they want the data if it "won't be used to identify individual's or connect them to sites"... what's the point? Any legal eagles out there who could tell us what will happen if Google still refuse?

17. DLoney

DLoney What's a Dremel?

I don’t see any problems with Google handing over their info, and hell, if it can catch a few child molesters giving them hard time in prison, all the better.
    :idea:

PS: I have no problem with the patriot act.
    As long as the info does not go public (especially in a business sense), the government can listen to me on the phone for all I care. My moto is, why care, especially if you have nothing to hide.

Also, Its not like just because the government can tap your phones, ect… , that they will.
    That process is expensive, and will only be preformed on people with legit reason for braking their privacy.
    :thumb:

18. DLoney

DLoney What's a Dremel?

I am no legal expert, but I do not think they can.
    They can stall for a little while, but if they don’t hand it over, people will start going to jail. Much like the AMD vs. Intel case a few months back. The company in question has no choice.

19. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Very true, but it still pisses me off that they can do it whenever they want to the average, everyday 9-5 American who has done nothing wrong. Waste of tax payer money and time.

20. boggsi

boggsi What's a Dremel?

And I always thought megadeath corporations would take over the world...

We should all head over to google and show our support. Is there no where we can sign a petition, surely the average person should have the ability to give input on this?

Tags: Add Tags