1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice GPU - 4070 or 3080?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Invictus., 29 Sep 2023.

1. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Hi there,

I'm in a bit of a debate currently as to what to look at going for between upgrading my GPU or just buying a PS5 / XSX. For GPUs right now it seems the decision is between the 4070 or 3080 (or explore if any 3080tis are floating around used).

The 4070s are coming in around £530 - 550 mark on Scan currently where the 3080 is ~£580. My current specs is a Ryzen 5 5600x, 16GB RAM & a 1070 and then I'm running 2 x 1080p panels as it stands but the monitors will likely change down the line.

I guess I'm a bit weary of the 40xx series as the reviews I've seen have been a bit hit/miss for the price to performance ratio and reports of there being a memory bandwidth issue on the 4070?

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

4070 - Similar performance, better efficiency, more VRAM and newer features.

keef247 likes this.
  3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Used 3080.

seen them changing hands for £380 on classifieds.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

The memory "issue" mentioned for 4070 is due to nVidia's use of narrower than normal bus for this class of GPU. The green team say they have increased on-die cache to alleviate the problem. The narrower bus is only a problem when you try to push 4k resolution. Otherwise performance is similar. So what sort of resolution are you thinking when you change your monitor?

At those prices new, the 4070 makes more sense.
    If you are happy with second hand, saving a hundred or so for 3080 makes even more sense.

Have you considered AMD? They seem to offer slightly better value at the moment.

5. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Thanks will keep an eye out for a 3080 on the used market and if nothing comes up just go the 4070 route.

As for future monitors I think if anything 1440p but its not really a priority as these 1080p panels for now do the job.

As for AMD I know the prices are lower, but as far as I'm aware Nvidia trumps them still and their DLSS beats the AMD version?

keef247 likes this.
  6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

DLSS 3 is a game changer.

keef247 likes this.
  7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

As long as you are not going 4k, 4070 should not hit its memory bus limitations.

Yes, DLSS is still very good. FSR is okay but artefacts are more noticeable to my eyes.

keef247 likes this.
  8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

From the brief research I've done it doesn’t look like there’s that much of a performance difference, and in some cases the 4070 beats the 3080 - it really depends on the game.

If you’re buying new then definitely get the 4070, absolutely no contest IMO. If you don’t mind buying used and missing out on framegen support, it’s worth looking out for a bargain 3080 - personally I wouldn’t go much past £400.

I’ve been thinking about a GPU upgrade for a little while, and I may be able to do that far sooner than expected. I toyed with the idea of getting a used 3090 - CeX has them for £700, and the 3090Ti for £850. But I think if I'm willing to stretch that little bit extra for a used 3090/3090Ti then for my use case I'd be better off putting that extra into a 4070Ti. I warn people off chasing ray tracing all the time, but I most definitely do not practice what I preach :grin: - I really would like good RT performance, and for that use case the 4070Ti really is the better option. Not only is the RT hardware newer, it uses far less power overall and has framegen support (much as I despise the fact that upscaling and framegen is the direction we seem to be going in). If it wasn't for RT I'd probably be happy enough with a used 3090.

keef247 likes this.
  9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

4070 uses les power, so long term it'll continue to save money, plus will be smaller and run cooler/quieter! We made the change and it allows us to move from massive 4U server chassis to a custom 2U chassis I've designed!

keef247 likes this.
  10. keef247

keef247 Modder

@Invictus. I'm an AMD guy, but decided to actually try something for myself vs let the internet/bias dictate what my wallet does/what I do in life, I have a 4070, if you're after a mid range priced 1440p power house that'll fit in a SFF case easily with a decent next gen feature-set, then this is for you.
    FWIW I'd of bought this 4070 be it made by AMD or Nvidia or Intel, I have zero loyalty, I own both AMD/Nvidia in multiple machines, as do I own Intel and AMD cpu's in my 5 rigs...

If I hadn't liked it I would have simply just sent it back in the 14 days for a no questions asked refund, and got something else, but if you don't try it for yourself you'll never know if it works for you. As with anything! I mean at worst it's cost me a few hours playing games/overclocking/undervolting and seeing if it works for me and if not a tenner or less to return it, no big deal. IMHO no different from going to a shop and trying out tvs/trying on clothes, you don't always walk out with what you want... Know what I mean?

But yeah the 4070 undervolt and overclock like a monster, it has a dual bios, the default fan curve is 65C to which it never reaches thus is silent when undervolted, has a 3 year warranty, it is so small for sucha powerful mid tier card - so it'll in my SFF case when it becomes upgrade time again.

Out of the box my Asus Dual is something stupid like 350mhz faster than the reference nvidia card and on boost 500mhz or something mental, it'll easily do 3-3.1ghz and another 500mhz or more on memory oc wise, or run it like me just above the reference nvidia clocks with a 1ghz memory overclock in silence with the fan never coming out maxing out any modern game at 1440p native with no hassle.
    Even on something resource hungry like The Last Of Us I can play natively at 4k high natively in the 60s.

The only game I've bothered to use dlss on is Starfield just because I wanted to try out the fan made DLSS/Frame Gen mod, which sent it way into 120-130 fps depending on area...

Also been playing a lot of Phantom Liberty and yep mid 70-90's in the most heavily crowded/busiest areas with 1440p max settings and Ray Tracing on Pyscho - which nets 80s-90 fps... Or without RT on well into the 120's - literally proven on the nvidia tech demos show casing dlss3/3.5...

Unlike rubbish FSR you can't tell it's on in person - and this is coming from someone who usually goes for AMD and hated stuff like fsr/dlss previously, but wanted to try a card based on it's performance in real life versus listening to people who don't own it make their opinions based on graphs/biased youtubers/journo's taking backhanders...

So glad I did. I use it 6-8 hours every evening in pure silence with zero coil wine and it'll smash anything natively at 1440p ultra I throw at it, and anything in the future I can simply use dlss/frame generation/reflex as required...

As for the nonsense about vram size, when compared to my mates rx6800xt playing the same games we found we end up with the same remaining vram, as games seem to be better coded/optimised to Nvidia thus the 6800xt seems to chug more vram in actual usage vs the 'allocated amount'.

And that's all that matters, if you both end up with the same vram on each game then it doesn't matter what you start with if mine runs leaner than yours usage case wise in actual usage on the fly whilst gaming...

That's the thing, there's a huge difference from actually trying something for yourself and believing some kid/franchise/company/backhander partnered reviewer online... At worst you just send it back within the 14 days if it doesn't suit your needs... No big deal, a few hours trying out games, not a big deal...

But people would rather argue about something they probably don't even have the money for and waste time that could be spent gaming/living real life on which is better like kids in a playground...

Oh and undervolted it uses between 105-145w, 105-130w (usually around 105-115-125w) being non RT native 1440p ultra or 4k high native, or 135-145w with RT/FG/DLSS3.5/Reflex...

Which playing 6 hours or more every evening works out at nothing a year to run my entire rig including my 32" 165hz 1440p monitor/amp/speakers... All in, as in my entire setup including moni/speakers/amp/pc, it uses less than a rx6950xt at peak on it's own. So my electric bill is literally 250-350w less a year, which = a saving of around £130-192 a year at my daily 6 hour binge each evening! Own the GPU for 3 years that means I basically get my money back... VS having thrown it down the drain running a 6800xt/6950xt/7900xt, and the best bit is, I get the saving in the electric and can still sell the 4070 if I want, i.e. I'll have a fairly large chunk towards my next gpu come upgrade time in 2-3 years - literally cannot loose, by then a 6800xt will be 5-6 years old and worth nothing.

Also my room isn't a furnace unlike the rx6950/7900xt I nearly bought peaking into the 90s which many owners warned me about along with the coil wine, my 4070 never goes above 63-64c and most of the time is chilling at 57c without it's fan on when undervolted :naughty:

They're £529.99 on scan at the moment for various brands and my Asus dual fluctuates from £520-549.99 depending on if you want it in white/black/where you buy it from! So even if you don't get mine there's many other trusted brands for £529.99 - that's £40-50 more than a 7800xt which is a 3 nearly 4 year old 6800xt in a dress that cant do RT to save it's life let alone Frame Gen or DLSS3.5/Reflex etc etc - yet the shills claim the 4070 is overpriced but will buy a 3-4 year old 6800xt for £40-50 less than one haha ignorance is bliss.

I personally don't do brand racism and would rather try something myself vs someone else let alone a youtuber/journo tell me how to spend my own money...

As with cars, when I do an engine swap, I never even hesitate to put a different company/countries engine into a car, it's about what it does/where it makes the power/how it sounds/drives and NOT who makes it - the same applies to PC's and anything in life, if it does what you want it to do who cares who makes it, if it's reliable when doing so!

The trouble is you'll just get linked to complete nonsense by people that wouldn't ever try anything for themselves and let kids/shills/backhanded sponsored fanboys on youtube decide what they spend their money on, then think a graph is gospel and spend their life frantically linking more re-shared lies.

TLDR get one if you like the idea of a tiny 1440p powerhouse, that's SFF case friendly, silent, reasonably priced, that doesn't burn your leg/turn your room into a sauna, has very good warranty, easy to source, no coilwine, has very good modern featuresets/futureproofing, and try it out yourself and all the features, send it back if you don't like it, aka you cant loose either way :)

I also would always rather spend another £100ish to get warranty vs second hand blatantly mined on/ragged/overclocked to the gills second hand stuff that could have been watercooled/messed about with, especially when Asus/Gigabyte/Zotac/MSI offer 3 year warranty and a AMD 6950XT reference card for example is ONE year :wallbash::worried: or at best 2 years with other brands... Screw that!

Last edited: 1 Oct 2023
  11. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

As soon as I saw this thread I was waiting for the Keef mentalism.
    Not disappointed.

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

4070 also uses 1x 8 pin for most models iirc [vs 2x8 for most 3080s iirc and the 12-pin for the FE models of both] so less PSU ****ery required if coming from a 1070

Bloody_Pete and keef247 like this.
  13. keef247

keef247 Modder

Mental for what? Giving a proper review/experience for something I own?

Or for trying out things for myself and making your own mind up what to spend MY own money on vs believing clickbait nonsense on youtube or biased shill fanboys?

I mean it's not hard to buy something try it on your day off and then return it for what under a tenner postage at the worst if you don't like it, isn't it... Madness! How the other live eh, ignorance is bliss!

I do find it hilarious people literally let people they don't even know from a sponsored video/biased group of fanboys/backhanded journo tell them what to spend their own hard earned cash on.

Makes you wonder if they let other people make all their lives decisions/follow the 'safe' bet herd...

Me: "Have you seen Star Wars?"
    Them: "Nah m9 heard it was rubbish though, so I wont watch it and form my own opinion..."

Bet they only go on holiday to places approved by others and buy cars/tv's/go on dates with people others pick for them as well :duh::hehe::rollingeyes:

Just imagine if they actually tried stuff for themselves vs wasting pages of threads and time arguing about stuff they don't even own quoting other people they've never met's biased opinions... Exciting lives they must lead!

Anyways shhh you swine :grin: you have a 4060 :hehe:
    So if we're talking mental... ;) :naughty:

14. keef247

keef247 Modder

Yep! 650w for my Asus. And with a stock max tdp of 200w I reckon this would even run off my 450w in my SFF without breaking a sweat, considering my RX580 wanted a 500w yet runs fine...
    And this 4070 undervolted cannot go above 145w peak with RT on native 1440p ultra... Or 4k high in TLOU for example...

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You need to stop pushing that button so hard in public.

If you really want to see how corrupt the tech review industry is then there's a wealth of written review content to investigate, and a whole library of YouTube videos to scrutinise. In fact it's so easy to make money doing tech review videos that I even got in on the action myself, in a very small and modest way. There's still a handful of the former staff, writers, video producers, etc, hanging around on the forum - I can't tell you who they are, it's too dangerous to expose just how much I know. They might still have some "favourable arrangements" and if I get them thrown off the gravy train there will be "consequences"...

I'm quite prepared to come clean and fully confess my part though. In exchange for just 2-3 days of work, prepping/running benchmarks and doing all the video filming and pre-/post-production, I got exactly nothing from Intel and precisely zero from sponsors and YouTube ad revenue - in fact it was such a lucrative exercise that I didn't even monetise the video.

Those "people [...] from a sponsored video/biased group of fanboys/backhanded journo" are the reason that this forum even exists, and some of those people still use the forum on a regular basis despite the fact that bit-tech stopped publishing content over two years ago. To be brutally frank, there's a huge amount irony in slandering tech reviewers on the forum for a tech review site.

wyx087 and Bloody_Pete like this.
  16. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

As I said, not disappointed.

17. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Thankfully on the PSU front I've got a EVGA Supernova 750w G2 I think it is, so going from 1 cable to 2 isn't the end of the world. I've done a "slow upgrade" over the years since getting my 1070 about 6-7 years ago now. the GPU is the "last bit" to have a relatively modern system.

Thanks for all the replies I think I'll keep an eye for the next few weeks on the used 3080/3080ti market and see whats about and if nothing look at just getting a new 4070 as I'm currently towards the end of buying my first house.. so once that's done I can go from there.

18. keef247

keef247 Modder

So I shouldn't give an honest unbiased opinion based on usually batting for AMD about a good experience I've had with the opposite team?
    I should just leave it for someone to take opinions based off people that rival each other in clickbait shock tactics review videos, half of them being kids and known for getting it wrong/rushing content/stealing each others figures/facts? Riiight.

How is me giving actual hands on opinions as a consumer not a paid for journo/retailer, a bad thing?
    I'd be the first to return it for a refund, moan if it was rubbish, slate it and publicly air that it sucked - which is EXACTLY what people want to hear on an enthusiasts forum, vs sheep herd mentality/blind purchasing and getting stung?

I'm well within my rights to 'push that button' as we used to trust each others actual experiences as enthusiasts and not clearly rely now on youtube/journos... That is ridiculous.

All of these enthusiasts forums/groups no matter the hobby have always been based on hearing each others opinions and not taking the gospel of a shady magazine/tv program bias, the same is IMDB is built up of actual public reviewers compiled together as a % to give a new viewer a rough idea whether that movie will be of their interest, vs 1 guys opinion from a magazine/review. That's just ridiculous.

I'll always take a broad opinion from actual ownership over a narrow minded single opinion. Otherwise I wouldn't be an enthusiast nor want to hear other peoples experiences/opinions. We're part of these groups to share the good and bad experiences with products/hobbies and assist others in enjoying/purchasing things and warn them of bad experiences?

If your mindset were true, people wouldn't need to debate/discuss anything, we wouldn't have the political sections arguing about who to vote for/the war etc, so why are you hear then if you just need to be told what to think? Bit bit pot kettle mate.

19. keef247

keef247 Modder

Just buy whatever best suits your needs/the length of intended ownership/your power usage requirements. A 750w will be more than enough though if you go 4070 and you get the security of it being brand new with many 3 year warranty options brand wise :) Personally I'd just hold off another 1-3 months till I could afford new for piece of mind.

20. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

The 4070 just seems too gimped for the price, that bus is shocking and only 12gb for a new gpu in 2023 just sucks.

wyx087 and SuperHans123 like this.