1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice GPU - 4070 or 3080?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Invictus., 29 Sep 2023.

1. keef247

keef247 Modder

Even though in reality it uses less vram than a 6800xt in game when tested at the same settings/res due to 90% games being written in nvidia's favour... and thus both cards end up with the same amount remaining, thus they'll last just as long but the 4070 longer thanks to frame gen/dlss3/reflex etc...

The 'bus' means nothing in reality when you can play anything at max settings 1440p. That's the difference between numbers on a spec sheet and reality of use.

What does seem gimped is paying for a 3 nearly 4 year old 6800xt in a dress and calling it new as a 7800xt that's only £50 less than a modern feature set card like a 4070, which still costs less than a 6800xt did 3 years + ago, go figure...

Ignorance is bliss though right!

Unsubbed, blind leading the blind much!

2. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

Ignorance is bliss? Blind leading the blind? Wearing a dress? What's all that about?.. Are you all right?

SuperHans123 likes this.
  3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Whoa Nellie, slow down there… Put down the straw man, take a step back, breathe…

I said - in an admittedly very sarcastic way - that there’s a huge amount of irony in repeatedly slagging off tech reviewers on the forum for a tech review site, especially when it's a forum which is still used by the tech reviewers who used to produce content for the site that the forum was set up for.

You can share your opinions all you want and we’re all free to take them on board or not - to be frank, I’ve been ignoring your opinions for a while. Of course it's useful to hear real-world experience from people, but I'm not inclined to put much weight behind the opinion of someone who's constantly accusing people of corruption and who reacts to even minor criticisms with lengthy diatribes. If you want a debate then have one, and stop angrily reacting to things that people didn't actually say.

At the very least, just... do me a favour: stop throwing wild accusations of corruption at the entire tech review sector at every single chance you get. Bit gamergate-y, mate.

Bloody_Pete and SuperHans123 like this.
  4. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Don't worry pal, he's mental.

xxxsonic1971 likes this.
  5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Just so someone doesn't get confused and buy the Asus Dual card on this spec alone which, on first glance looks impressive, the Asus Dual card runs at 2550MHz. This is faster than the 4070 reference specification for boost clocks by 75MHz (not 350MHz), which nobody save a handful of budget models running the reference PCB is adhering to, and is more or less on par with most AIB factory overlocked cards.

6. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

4070 getting MONSTERED by a 6800XT in CS:GO 2

7. keef247

keef247 Modder

Are you not aware a 7800XT was a major letdown and just a rebadged 6800XT? I.e. a 3 nearly 4 year old card? And people moan about a 4070 being 'overpriced' yet it's £50 more than a 7800XT... That's my point. Why would you spend £50 less on nearly 4 year old tech without RDNA4/FSR3 nor any of the modern features the 4070 has, yet still call the 4070 rubbish like the die hard fan boys too.
    I'm an AMD guy but I won't not try something else just because it's by another brand, that's just sad/biased when it could suit my needs - which it did hence not returning it after I tried it...
    But you cant say that now because AMD is gospel and the tables seem to have turned, years of Nvidia bashing and now AMD cant do anything wrong, the irony is hilarious.

There was no sense what so ever of sarcasm, it just came across muggy.

So you'd rather have a god complex and call me a liar when all I'm doing is giving an honest opinion on something I own that you don't. Yet you'd rather believe some kid's clickbait video or bandwagon hop like a sheep. OK M9.
    Why would I lie about something that I would have returned for a full refund with zero fuss if it was rubbish? You're just coming across like you're brand biased.

No you're an entitled little narcissist that's judging people and having an opinion on things you don't even own/haven't experienced and calling them liars. That's a pathetic thing to shun someone bothering to share actual ownership experience. And coming from someone with a 4060 you're a fine one to talk!

Wrong! At stock mine boosts to around 2890mhz, it's well known depending on the silicone lottery how well these out of the box boost highly than the reference card. I own 1 you don't. So don't call me a liar when I can EASILY back it up and screengrab mine...
    Even 8PACK the famous overclocker has shown this from OCUK shop, along with them OC'ing up to 3-3.1ghz and above + 500mhz on the memory.
    1min 13seconds. Why don't you ring ocuk and tell them their staff are lying and so are Asus... I think not.

Where? When it made 8-10fps more in 4k then lost in 1440p/1080p?
    Ha, lets see it have the response time of Nvidia Reflex...

Better still, lets see it do dlss3.5/frame generation/dlaa/reflex/get 90-130fps in Phantom Liberty... Oh wait...

ALL I've done is try to inform someone what a card they'd considered buying was like in reality vs watching sheep clickbait reviews where it's fashionable to troll everything and criticism it just like it would appear seems to be the case now on forums.

I cant be bothered anymore with this place. How you can argue about things you don't even own then call someone a liar who does own them is beyond me. Why even use a forum if you're taking everything you hear from youtube as gospel.
    This place used to be good to exchange experiences with things we actually own and help each other, now it's just a copy and paste fest competition where everyone slates everything they don't own it's pathetic.

I'm out.

Last edited: 1 Oct 2023
  8. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

You need a lie down after reading his posts.
    Let's hope he really is 'out'

9. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

10. David

Why are you so aggro? I haven't called you a liar, I simply pointed out the flaw in your statement; one that you are doubling down on.
    The guaranteed boost clock is 2550, which is 75MHz higher than the minimum guaranteed SPECIFICATION boost clock. Of course your card boosts higher - EVERY card boosts higher than the guaranteed minimum, but that max boost will vary from card to card.

Using your observed max boost as a performance metric against the stated MINIMUM of another card is just misguided.

You really need to calm down and drop this persecution complex, or stop engaging in debate if you cannot accept that there are viewpoints counter to yours.

Last edited: 1 Oct 2023
    Byron C and SuperHans123 like this.
  11. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

He's aggro because he feels the need to defend his purchasing decision to the hilt.

I also bought one of these cards, and it is indeed a shame that the raster performance isn't stunning. However, with the Nvidia bells and whistles, and power savings over time taking a few dozen quid effectively off the price, I am happy in the end. It would be nice if everyone could be so contented ;)

SuperHans123 likes this.
  12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Only had to read a few words to realise what was going on here. Let's just say some of the forum functions work spiffingly well.

Isn't just here either. Same person has been going on OCUK and doing the same there, which got him a suspension. As soon as it was up he was right back at it.

I'm also not very pleased that certain members here apparently PMed him dragging up stuff from over 10 years ago, getting the facts wrong and slagging me off either. Funny thing is I know exactly who it was as well as let's say your secrets are not safe with him. In fact, it was his personal attacks on OCUK using said information that got him his suspension.

noizdaemon666 and Byron C like this.
  13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah I think that is about the long and short of it. Love the way he opens up every rant with "I'm an AMD fan". Sure, sure you are.

14. David

OMG, a contented buyer. Hold on, bud, we can quickly round up a posse to pour scorn on your buying decision and find numerous different ways of calling you an idiot for making it.

;)

Byron C likes this.
  15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I like to think of this place as a cozy pub on a Sunday afternoon over here whereas over there is more like kicking out time after the clubs shut.

Vault-Tec, BeauchN, David and 2 others like this.
  16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That's twice in the same post you've accused people of calling you a liar when they did no such thing. You need to stop doing that.

@David didn't call you a liar and neither did I.

David likes this.
  17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Well its all drama here tonight! Never a dull moment!

Back to the topic in hand, did we mention 4070's are massively smaller and lighter than 3080's? :p

18. David

Liar!!

Vault-Tec and adidan like this.
  19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Well dang, you caught me. A 4070 is 300 sqkm and weights the same as a small dwarf star. I don't know how Nvidia was allowed to get away with it, it must be a conspiracy with the reviewers!

Byron C, Vault-Tec, adidan and 2 others like this.