1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GPU and Display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrispy61, 11 Sep 2010.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Shadow Mask were sharper.

The Electron blue in question isn't actually that well used. It's a spare screen that never saw much service. It's in good condition and theoretically, despite its age, should be exactly as it was when manufactured.

It's just crap compared to a modern, high quality display.

2. chrispy61

chrispy61 What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 12 Sep 2010
  3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Sure, TN it is.

If you are going to get a Dell, I think it will be better to get it from Dell. At least you can negotiate a price with them over the phone, and if you need to return it for wtv reason, they will pay shipping for you (they will e-mail you a pre-paid shipping label, which you just print and put it on the same box as you received the monitor)

4. Pookeyhead

Dell SP2309W is a great TN panel. Very high resolution for a 23", which is great for software like Photoshop, Premiere, Soundbooth etc because all the toolbars are smaller and take up less space for productivity.

5. chrispy61

Ideal and that will work ok with a nvidia geforce 210 GPU?

Thanks for the replys, probly going to go with that one.

6. GoodBytes

7. chrispy61

I could Gooogle it but whats Aero??

8. GoodBytes

Windows Vista and Windows 7 graphical user interface engine (the graphic layout that you use to make the usage of a computer much more easier (ie: no command lines like in DOS days)

Under Windows Vista/7 you have 3 graphical user interface engine.
    - Windows Standard (looks like Windows 2000). A basic interface which uses the CPU to draw everything. Ideal for slow processors, as processors sucks like no tomorrow at drawing (that is why we use powerful graphic card to run our games or play videos and movies).

- Aero Basic. This is the same engine as XP theme, renamed and has a different looked to it. Like Windows Standard, it uses the CPU to draw. This is if you want a better looking interface, which you can afford as you have a more powerful CPU, but don't have the GPU power to draw the next fancier interface.

- Aero uses the GPU instead of the CPU. As your CPU (even your Core i7 980 50 cores - OC 10 GHZ) sucks at drawing like no tomorrow, as it was never designed to draw things, and that today the majority of computer owner have now adequate GPU performance. Aero uses your GPU to draw the Windows interface (something that should have been done since day 1, but back then graphic cards were too weak in performance and cost a fortune. In fact, you really need a Geforce FX 5900 to get a choppy performance in moving windows and stuff at 1280x1024). Basically, everything is drawn my the graphic card except the program content (this is out of Windows control), and your cursor. The advantage of Aero, is that moving windows, and scaling them, uses significantly less CPU performance, offers a very smooth interface experience, and offers a wide range of cool features that you see in Windows Vista/7, like live thumbnail preview on the task bar, Aero Snap, Flip 3D, better font rendering, transparency, proper shadowing, the col Alt+Tab with a preview of the application live, the new taskbar, no video layering (you remember, when you play a video in Windows Media Player, and move the player around the video itself plays catch-up in positioning itself correctly) and much more. Another benefit, is a potential in increasing laptop battery life by a bit (depending on the laptop configuration), and have potentially a very smooth experience at 1920x1200 and higher resolution when using Windows. Also, having a background on your desktop, won't degrade CPU performance (as this is drawn by the GPU now, hence why you can have changing wallpaper with a nice smooth transition, without having the CPU spike at 100%).

9. chrispy61

Ok thanks again

10. chrispy61

Doing HDMI make a big diffrence im quality of picture?

11. GoodBytes

HDMI max resolution is 1920x1080

In term of image quality, DVI = HDMI = Display Port.
    Display Port is slowly replacing DVI, and are starting to appear more and more on laptops (about time we have digital port on laptops). Display Port is welcomed on laptops, as it's easy to convert down to HDMI or DVI with a simple inexpensive adapter. Also they are no royalty fees, and support more plug in/out's compared to DVI.

The Dell SP2309W does not support Display Port.

12. chrispy61

Yea i noticed that, the GPU will probly have the HDMI out. Goodbytes u seem pretty knowledgeable about screens for under £200 what do you recommend? There are alot of screes that look good but im not sure how they will perform.

For e.g

24" IIyama E2407HDSD Widescreen LCD, 1920 x 1080, 2ms, DVI/VGA - 1080p HD Ready, looks nice.

13. GoodBytes

Desktop GPU's have DVI. So, it won't be a problem.
    Sadly, I cannot recommend something that I have not used personally. And monitor, like speakers and sound cards, are subjective to one. For instance, while I enjoy my Dell U2410, and I think it's an amazing monitor for the price. Our friend Pookeyhead vomited on the floor when he turned it on, and had to do an emergency operation on his eyes as they bleed.
    Then again he is a professional with years of experience, where getting the best monitor is a must for his career. I am sure if he had to choose between a very high end monitor on a Pentium 3, or a crummy one on a Core i7, he would go with the Pentium3.

Now I don't like leaving with no answer.
    I have experience a variety of Dell monitors. Mine (U24100, and a few models from work place. They seam to me to be very solid. I had much worse, and so far the Dell offers the best I have personally experienced. It is to be noted that I have no experience all Dell models. So don't hate me if you get a Dell, and it falls apart, even after a replacement (but at such point you have like 21 days from the day of purchase (please confirm before purchasing - this is for Dell Canada) to return the product if you are not happy (return shipping is paid by Dell).

For me, a monitor cannot be glossy. Not even the frame. So, I don't even look at the glossy monitors. Programming requires a lot of concentration, and I get easily distracted by stuff like that. For some people, they don't mind at all. So, it's really up to you. If you show me a glossy monitor I have no idea if it's good or not. (Also they are just so much monitor I can keep in memory. Also add to the fact that the TN panel market is so over-saturated, it's really hard to know.)

I also believe that a monitor should at least height adjustable. If it's not the case, I skip it. If your not comfortable with your setup, you'll have neck and back pain. You won't enjoy your computer at all.

I don't know this Iiyama brand. The only place I read this name, is on this forum exclusively, and no one (on the treads I read) end up purchasing one, when they were presented to the original poster. Sooo I don't know anything about them. Oh and I cannot find any reviews from trusted source, or at least a review that actually.. well reviews the product somewhat properly.

I know I talk about Dell's a lot. Some might believe I work for them (and apparently I work at Microsoft, Logitech, Corsair, and Antec all at the same time :D ). It's not that I am saying that they are the best of the best and that their is nothing better or a fanboy. I just don't comment on things I have not personally experience. Moreover, in term of Dell, HP, Acer, etc. Dell is the only OEM that loves Canada. Any U.S product you can find at Dell Canada no problem, and at similar or better price. While the others don't care about Canada. Buying a custom build computer from HP or Acer website is impossible. You have to pick the few pre-configured models and voila. And the price is much higher than the state, even though for a while the Canada currency was really on exact par with the U.S. The only solution to have an HP, and any other brands, is to go big chain stores like BestBuy where you can get them. But, these are not product that interest me. They are mostly low end systems and power, or if they are interesting, they are well over priced. I don't mean over=-priced in the sense that it's cheaper to custom build, I mean it's cheaper for you to get a car, go to the states, buy it there.... ok well almost.. this is assuming that you don't pay the boarder taxes.
    Of course, there is Lenovo, which is like Dell, which is nice, but they don't have all their products available in Canada.

Sorry for not giving you out straight an answer by showing a model.

14. Pookeyhead

LOL.. I wouldn't go that far. I just thought it's factory "calibration" sucked. Once calibrated it was good. I'm just not a fan of IPS black levels, but for the money the 2410 is a fine screen.

I still reckon the SP2309W is the best screen for the OP. It's not cheap, but I'd just find something to Ebay to make up the difference.

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I could say the 2405WFP, but I'm questioning it's availability even on the 2nd hand marketplace.

16. Pookeyhead

Great screens if you can get one, but the age is an issue. One heavily used will probably struggle to reach acceptable brightness now. It may be approaching 6 years old.

17. Lamba

Lamba What's a Dremel?

I got my 24" Samsung B2430H and love it to bits :D

18. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I'm running my HP 24" screen through my HDMI cable now at 1920x1200. Does that mean I'm not getting the full resolution? It looks OK. It's not stretched or skewed.

19. GoodBytes

Actually I am wrong. What I just said is true for the HDMI 1.0.
    Today, the latest HDMI version (1.4), supports the same as Display Port 3840 × 2160 screen resolution (well you need a compatible graphic card that can output to such resolution). Also that Display port is really HDMI, but just recently both are separating form each other.

Display Port 1.2 will support (once the standard passes), USB with the video signal and audio, allow daisy- chaining multiple monitors from 1 port on your video card (up to 6 displays if I remember correctly), support stereoscopic 3D formats, Supports RGB and YCbCr color spaces, and 16-bit color per channel.

While HDMI 1.4 is focused on the entertainment side, like passing Ethernet signal on the same plug, rather than focus on color accuracy and a desktop environment. (and charge a high royalty fee making your cable expensive)

Probably, and most likely your HDMI standard that your monitor support is somewhere in between 1.0 and 1.4 or is 1.4.

Last edited: 14 Oct 2010
  20. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

No worries. Your replies were so detailed and concise that I thought I'd best make sure I wasn't missing a trick. Happy weekend bud.