1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows GTA IV: Episodes from Liberty City coming to PC and PS3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by oasked, 29 Jan 2010.

1. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

I can't wait for this to come out. I loved the original GTA IV!

2. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

The graphics department isn't too bad, its your CPU that needs to be quite good.

3. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Doh! I went and bought this for the 360 and have been struggling with the controls since I'm useless at anything but a mouse and keyboard :(

4. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

i want the pic girl! Assuming she has an identical real model! xD

5. SoulLance

SoulLance What's a Dremel?

Considering GTA 4 is the biggest piece of unoptimized crap in the history of PC Gaming I could give a rats ass.

6. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I can't bring myself to play through GTA4. I got killzone 2 today and just can't hit anything.Just over a year of PC gaming and I can barely even hold control pads now >.>

7. jake9891

jake9891 Loves Internet Shopping

finally!!! I just hope price won't be that bad, I only paid £5 on steam christmas sale for GTA IV and I am not planning to pay more for expansions....

8. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

I hope they improved matters from gta 4 but i doubt it.

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

GTA IV was a bit bland in terms of story. And the Graphics were admittedly muddy, coupled with a pretty simplistic and somewhat unsatisfying combat system.

But at the end of the day, the game is still some bloody mindless fun.

10. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Should be more than playable as long as you have a decent quad core to back it up.

My laptop (Q9000, HD4850) runs its fine at 1440x900 everything High/ Very High apart from Textures which are set to medium (I think my GPU's 512mb memory is preventing anything higher?!). The draw distance is 33, detail distance 52 and I can't remember the others (around half way).

It does hiccup occasionally although this only appears to happen when a new area loads on the fly.

My GTX260 SLI setup runs its even better (coupled with a overclocked Core i7) although it still suffers from the hiccups that my laptop does (must be the engine rather than the settings itself).

The one thing you will notice a lack of is AA. There are tweaks to get it enabled but it comes at a pretty big performance penalty (understandable given everything that is being displayed at once).

11. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

Its not unoptimized... If we want new Pc hardware we need to beg for games that destroy our current pcs. I play it fine, granted im pretty much top of the line now, cant quite play in eyefinity but thats just a memory size issue with the video cards

12. Xir

Xir Modder

I was thinking in the lines of a i7 920 with either a hd5870 or an equivalent fermi-card.
    (waiting for fermi to come out so a) comparison is possible b)prices come down)

Got GTAIV cheap at the cchristmas steam sale and can wait a little longer.

13. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

As said it runs fine on my GTX260-SLI / Core i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz setup so it should run fine on a single HD5870 (comparable to a GTX295). If anything it might run a bit better as 1) You won't be reliant on SLI / CF to provide the raw grunt and 2) You will have more physical GPU memory (something GTAIV is very fussy with).

Of course it does all depend on what resolution you run at and what settings you will want.

Example - Even on my SLI setup, the draw distance setting doesn't go above 50 as it eats GPU memory for breakfast.

14. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

The main thing is that you have a tri-core or better. A fast dual-core just isn't good enough for smooth GTA IV gameplay.

Runs really smooth on my system, and my graphics card is pretty average these days. :)

15. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

I'm sick with these console exclusivity contracts. Don't the game developers see that this is only hurting themselves?

Why should I care about those expansion packs now that I have been fed with dozens of videos and reviews about the XBOX 360 version for months. The games are OLD now folks! Nobody cares.. we are playing Bad Company 2 etc. instead.

16. Elton

Well the companies make money off of the temporary exclusivity.

17. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Seeing how my GTA4 copy is still basically unplayable unless you consider 0X AA pretty. I wont be spending money on this at least until I read that it has been fixed. :(

18. Elton

I can live with 0xAA.

The shadows not so much.

19. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Its the slow HDD that also kils it on the PS3. So many time i've had "im sure theres a wall/band comming up soon!" *smash* "there it is" (wall then spawns into exsistance)

20. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

So anyone playing it? By the way, there was a 1.0.6.0 patch that improved performance on the main game.
    Very impressed so far - it's quite fun seeing the characters from a different perspective.