1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX 460 Appreciation Society - Plus VGA Cooling Thread!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 13 Nov 2011.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I expected the 1GB memory to affect performance at 2560x1600 but as far as I can see it doesn't really... would love to compare with two 2GB 460s in SLI...

2. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I have just hit some nice scores on vantage and 03.

Have taken my CPU to 5Ghz and GPU to 870 core 2000 mem... will post screens tomorrow. Not FM approved tho. Thats enough kamikaze bench runs for one night :)

3. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

aye my gtx 460 is still going strong in my rig, tho tempted to go 560 2gb sli when the next upgrade path comes around
    also of not lenny, ive a black true somewhere lying around somewhere ( might be in a friends rig)
    ill ask him if he wants an 'upgrade' to a h50 next time i see him ( so dont hold your breath)

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Post the scores... now! :D

5. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Just lapped the ULTRA concave cooler on my GTX 560 Phantom by Gainward. And made a 140mm intake blowhole in the bottom of my case.

Hit 1ghz!

6. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

This was only with a single card mind....

[​IMG]

I am busy trying to set up the SLI now, getting the air flow right has been tricky, temps seem too high (75c on top card @ stock clocks and voltage in heaven)

Blogins how do you have your intakes mounted? Do you run your GPU fans on auto?

Just got a blue screen on desktop (no prime or anything running) and I don't know why, cards are at default settings and CPU is running at my standard overclock I've run for weeks.

The newer GV-N460OC-1GI, tho the same chip is different.

Different bios (with lower default voltage), different RAM chips and the heatsink is smaller with a rough finish compared to the other ones smooth finish. Heatpipes don't have the same finish either and it was totally coated with some really crappy TIM.

Also when I first boot, the fans on the newer card spin up to around 70% until windows has loaded then slow down to 40% unlike my older one which just starts and stays at 40% until it heats up under (heavy) load, plus they have different RPM per percentage. Older card does less RPM/% so its quieter.

A bit perplexed... Only had 1 day to tinker so far and get to the bottom of the issues...

If anyone has any knowledge (or know of a bios update that will give the new card the same settings as the old card, have looked at Gigabyte website and all the bios's for the different revs of the GV-N460OC-1GI are incompatible)

Thanks

7. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I'd be interested to see how the Insanely stupid 550Ti I possess matches up against some 460's in a comparison. I don't think I'd be that far behind, considering the stupid stupid clocks it'll run at.

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I play loud games so keep both cards at a permanent 100% when playing them! My top card reaches around the 70 degree mark recently when playing Battlefield 3 but this is highly dependent on ambient. If the heatings on then it can go over 75 degrees and 78 at times, this is more than acceptable however.

In your situation I'd probably put my old card in the top slot because it sounds like the stronger performer. I have two 120mm Silverstone Air Penetrators intakes in the front a 120mm Be Quiet! USC Silent Wings in the bottom as an intake and finally the 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM in the rear as an exhaust. All these fans are on 100% via my Motherboards BIOS and being in a Fractal R3 it really isn't that noisy.

You can modify the BIOS yourself to adjust things like the upper fan % limit and also the voltage. Need a little experience working with and flashing BIOS though and make sure you maintain a clearly labelled backup file of the original BIOS for both cards. I adjusted the voltage limit for both my cards and although not really worth the effort for most it gives my rig the slight edge over inferior GTX 460 rigs such as LennyRhys! I thrashed his Unigine Heaven benchmark score by a massive 10 points with an extra 10MHz on the core! ;)

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=223430&page=5

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The 550Ti is a fair way behind the specification of a 1GB GTX 460, I would be surprised if you could even match stock settings with an overclocked 550Ti. Would love to be proven wrong however, it is a nice little card.

10. .//TuNdRa

1025, 2050, 2525 on the clocks might get it a bit close? Can do nought but try!

11. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Run a Unigine bench at 1440x900 with everything maxed as per this thread for a meaningful performance comparison...

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=223430

12. .//TuNdRa

446 points. Hrm. That just makes me want an upped Voltage limit. 1.150V just doesn't feel like enough with max load of 51 degrees.

13. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

This new card at 100% is a banshee, seriously. Under the trade descriptions act how can they call this the same card. It has had a major rework and it is clearly cheaper, tho running at the same clocks but less voltage (hence why they can use a smaller heatsink, and other changes I can see on the board itself).

Cards at 100% gaming is a non starter for me, apart from benchmarks when I try to beat your scores later ;)

Yeah old card on the top 100% agreed, tho I was gonna put the old girl on the bottom originally to give her a rest in her twilight years!

I am seriously considering putting an exhaust fan on the side panel (I have a Thermalright TY140 that would do the job nicely, big airflow low DB) and my 140mm penetrator in front of the hard drive cage blowing directly over the cards, hooked upto the chassis fan 2 header and control it from the mobo (as it is loud on full blast).

I have tried the bottom fan intake but makes little difference to temps on the top card.
    I think they need somewhere for that hot air to go, as reluctant as I am to lose the sound deadening blanking plate on the side panel, needs must.

I'll let you know how I get on, hopefully get on to some overclocked benchies today :D

14. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Hi all,

I have the GV-N460OC-1GI and after reading this thread, I must say I am mighty tempted to OC my card, to see if I can eek an improvement out of my BF3 performance.

I assume that the moment I overclock the card, it will invalidate my 3 year warranty?

Also ,if I do it, is it just a case of moving the various sliders in MSI Afterburner and then test for stabilty and artifacts in something like Kombuster or Furmark? It seems to me many people in this thread seem to be getting 15-20% increases just on air cooling, which is pretty tidy.

I have no intention of replacing the cooling or altering the vault if I do try it so what would a max safe temperature be considured for these cards on stock cooling?

15. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Considering how far you have taken the i5 I am surprised your not willing to over volt a GTX460!

Assuming it runs at a default voltage of 987mV (a new one I just bought has a different bios and runs at 937mV which I haven't got to the bottom of yet), I personally have benchmarked a single GV-N460OC-1GI to 800Mhz core 2000Mhz Memory inside a stock Fractal R3 without any problems. (some say no point OCing the memory clock but I do anyway).

Note: I have not gamed or furmarked at those settings. Before getting a high res panel I did not need to OC my card (until BF3 and Skyrim came out and even then was still playable at medium/high @ 1680)

I would at least recommend you re apply the TIM using something better like arctic silver 5 or MX4, it shouldn't void your warranty and will help temps. The stuff the manufacturers use is really poor. Just using AS5 knocked off 3 - 4 degrees under load depending on the benchmark.

EDIT:
    Deckerd in answer to your specific questions, yes I believe it will invalidate your warranty from gigabyte.
    Yes it is just a case of sliding the sliders in afterburner or typing in specific numbers in the relevant box. (I suggest going through all options and settings in MSI afterburner to familiarize yourself)

Max safe temp is personal preference, It is rated at 100 or 105c IIRC but ofc you don't want to go anywhere near that.

For me, 80c under max load worst case scenario is acceptable, I wouldn't want to go much higher.

General gaming 70 - 75 is fine.

If you go too far in your OC you will either see red/green patterns or shapes on your screen during games or benchmarks, BSOD or crash to desktop/blank screen as the card reboots. (They are the 3 things I have had happen since OCing the 460oc)

Hope this helps :)

Last edited: 6 Jan 2012
  16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Modern GPU have safe guards in place to shut down well before any damage happens from a simple overclock. Mine has done this many many times just in testing the limits of the card and it works fine afterwards. Also Battlefield 3 just gobbles up GPU Core clocks so it's worth experimenting to maximise the cards potential. Plus in my case I have a 34% increase over the stock GTX 460 Core clock of 675MHz to a staggering 900MHz! Temperature wise according to the GTX 460 specification it has a thermal limit of 104 degrees so even at 90 you're within safe limits although I tend to stick to 80 as my maximum limit when overvolted!

17. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Pushing the envelope even further with a 910MHz Core clock achieved through 1.15V and 1000MHz Memory (x4 effective).

[​IMG]

The top GPU almost hit 90 degrees at one point! :D

18. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Well, I just mustered this up

4.5 CPU 840Mhz Core 2000 Mem

[​IMG]

Top card hit 85c, that is enough for me big time! Gonna lower the clocks to 820ish for gaming. I don't see the point in pushing them anymore than that for everyday use. Noise is acceptable at that level (have left fans on auto)

I will have an alcohol fueled clocking session soon where I will either smash your vantage score, brick my cards, fry my CPU, kill my mobo or all of the above :D

Will post photos of my build with complete SLI tomorrow, see what you think...

19. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

That's a respectable score, nice work.

I dare say it's the room temperature resulting in the 85 degrees. The room my computer is in is fairly exposed to the elements and thus much cooler than the rest of the house. So my GPU/CPU temperatures are ridiculously lower then you'd typically find! So you'll have a job thrashing my score unless you open the window on a cold day!

20. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Heh - I wish I could take credit for a 4.7Ghz OC but it was done by the people as scan, as part of one of their OC bundles.

You info is much appreciated

cheers for the info. :)

Incidently, my bios version on this car is 70.04.0F.00.01, according to GPUz, is that an ok BIOS or a standard OC?

Edit: I assume the VDDC in GPUz is the voltage of the card, mine currently reads 0.9370v

Last edited: 7 Jan 2012