1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards GTX 570 only running at 4x in Maximus gene-z?!?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Mark_Skeldon, 22 Feb 2012.

1. Mark_Skeldon

Mark_Skeldon What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

Noticed a rather strange problem with my current set up. I used the bottom pci-e slot on my Maximus IV Gene-Z for my Palit GTX 570. In the bios it was displaying that the card was running at 8x, as it should be running at 16x I moved it into the top slot.

Now it is showing as running as 4x !! Can anyone shed any light on this? It's cooking my noodle! :wallbash:

Screen cap below of AIsuite:

[​IMG]

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I once had this with a 5770. I reseated the card, completely removed the drivers then installed them afresh. I think I may have also updated the BIOS for my board, but can't rmember exactly. All was fine after that :)

3. Deders

Deders Modder

Get the latest version of GPUz.

Click the ? next to where it says Bus Interface.

have a read and try the render test to see if it changes the reading.

Could be to do with power saving features.

4. Mark_Skeldon

Thanks for the replies chaps.

See below the result from latest version of GPUZ:

[​IMG]

I can't do the render test until later as I'm connected via an RDP session from work. I'm currently folding on the GPU, would this not be enough to trip into into full blown mode rather than power saving?

Also why would the tick boxes for cuda and physx be unticked?

5. Deders

Deders Modder

Well I don't think folding actually needs much PCIe bandwidth, but are your motherboard drivers installed?

If they are Intel MB drivers did you install them with the -overall switch? Otherwise they won't install PCIe drivers amongst others.

Saying that the MB seems to be reporting 16x, while the gfx is only 4x. On mine they both revert to 1.1 16x when in low power mode.

6. Mark_Skeldon

I didn't install them with that switch. I'll try that this evening as it is still running on the drivers included in the box.

7. Mark_Skeldon

Ok tried installing the drivers with the -overall switch applied and still no luck. I've ran the stress test in GPUZ and the results can be seen below:

[​IMG]

This has got me rather stumped now!!

8. Deders

Deders Modder

Have you tried reseating and checking for dust in the slot and on the contacts?

9. Mark_Skeldon

Not yet, that's going to be the next port of call I think.

The only reason I moved it to the top slot was because it was reporting in the BIOS to be running at 8x. Since moving it, it then dropped to 4x.

Might do that now actually :sigh:

10. Mark_Skeldon

Right, removed the card, cleaned the contacts, blew out the slot with compressed air and tried again. Same result. It's even reporting as being at pci-e 1.1 4x native in the bios.

Took it out tried it in the bottom slot and it moves up to 8x native but at pci-e 1.1 not 2.0 in the bios and also in gpuz

[​IMG]

Does anyone have any ideas here? bios is up to date btw.

11. Deders

Deders Modder

And that is version 1.1, not 2.0 like above, although if you take overheads into account 1.1 will give you better bandwidth.

Do you use it for anything other than folding.

12. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

BOINC projects vary in the amount of load they put on the PCI-E bus, some are heavy users, others aren't. Not unusual for the system to downclock to save power these days.

Check your power options in Windows ( if using it ! ).

dunx

P.S. Get it up to 800 MMz ( my GTX 480 Is ! ) :D

13. Mark_Skeldon

It isn't just for folding, I do play the odd game now and again should the rare chance crop up that I'm not at work.

It normally sits at 803/2002 I just dialled it back a bit while I was trying to get to the bottom of this issue. Really starting to get frustrating now! :blah:

14. Deders

Deders Modder

Was going to suggest advanced power options, there's a setting for PCIe in there.

Any way you can get another card to try?

15. Mark_Skeldon

Tried this and set everything to run flat out. No change.

I've tried the card in another machine (old E8400 with an Asus Maximus Formula) and there are no problems. Card runs at 16x PCI-e 2.0 :confused:

It has to be down to an issue with the motherboard/BIOS. I have the standard Maximus IV Gene-Z not the GEN3 btw.

This has really got me puzzled/annoyed now :wallbash:

Does anyone have any last thoughts before I log a support call with Asus (which could last well past the release of PCI-e 4.0 no doubt).

Last edited: 2 Mar 2012
  16. Mark_Skeldon

Getting no response to any of the emails I've sent to Asus, getting really pissed off now:miffed::miffed:

No BIOS updates, no patches (not that I think this will solve it, as the BIOS reports the card running in native x4 configuration).

Has anyone else had such poor quality service from Asus? I've used Asus boards all the way back to the NF7, and I've never had such bollocks treatment.

17. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Does the Maximus IV Gene-Z have the PCI-E lane switch like its ATX brother? The only other thing that I can think of is if the Lucid Virtu stuff is interfering... Can the i-GPU be turned off in the BIOS?

Edit: Oh, and is anything else plugged into the PCI-E ports? Sound card e.t.c?

Last edited: 13 Mar 2012
  18. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

@lancer: at worst he should get 2x PCI-E 2.0 x8 even if all his slots are full.

0902 is the latest BIOS as well, i am running my GTX570 without any issues :
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I think OP might have one of the following issues :
    1) bent CPU socket pins
    2) CPU cooler is screwed in too tight, bending the board and that results in bad contact of the CPU socket pins with the pads on CPU.
    3) not enough voltage for the PCI-E controller in CPU (try at stock CPU settings).

lancer778544 likes this.
  19. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Ah I see. Thanks for that faugusztin :)

20. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Just to be more exact, the board has :
    1) two red PCI-E x16 slots running at 1x PCI-E 2.0 x16 (the slot next to CPU) or 2x PCI-E 2.0 x8 (both slots or bottom red slot), the PCI-E lanes for these come directly from the CPU.
    2) one black PCI-E x4 slot running at PCI-E 2.0 x4, these lanes come from the "southbridge".

This is why i think his issues are either with CPU overclock or bad contact due a bent socket pin or overtightened cpu cooler.