1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Guantanamo game announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 May 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

That is just not a sound concept for a game on so many levels!!!

3. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

This is a) wierd and b) bad taste

4. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I'm not saying you can't make games about controversial things but what on earth does the Guantanamo Bay idea bring to the concept of the game?

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I guess it depends how they structure the gameplay. If it's an FPS, not much. If it's a stealth game, it brings a contemporary context and publicity. If it's an adventure game...

6. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

I wouldn't worry too much, check their website for the lack of evidence of any previous major game experience: http://www.t-enterprise.co.uk/

I predict this will be the last we hear of the game and possibly the company.

7. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

What no Abu Ghraib game?

8. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

I believe the correct term is 'enhanced interrogation' lol

9. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Bleah, poor taste. Though I wish him well, if he makes a good bundle off of his time in the Imperial Forces detention camp, good for him.
    We should never cut corners with our Constitutional rights merely for some illusory chance at security. It doesn't work that way, if we are going to be a citizenry with character then you need to preserve the rights that make you a target in the first place.

Yours in Civil Liberties Plasma,
    Star¤Dagger

10. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I love the idea that it's going to get sooooooooooooooo much over the top media attention for being set in Guantanamo Bay when at the end of the day it's just another place in the world a game can be set in, do I see media outrage like Mass Effect's sex scene? lol. I'd like to play it but it'll be a failure, I just can't see how you can make a good game set in a prison while trying to get a point across, I mean what style of game could you make it? It won't be an FPS because that would be quite pointless, you wouldn't be killing many people lol. An Action RPG? I don't know.

11. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Portal.

12. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

13. Xir

Xir Modder

...maybe it's a good old pointgathering game...

Hold'em and Kick'em
    5Pts
    Waterboard'em
    10Pts
    Photagraph'em naked
    15Pts
    Deny everything
    20Pts
    Say you want to open it, and THEN deny any coverage
    50Pts

14. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Seriously, this seems like a cool idea for a game. (The plot, I mean.) A game covering the realities of torture and prisoners? Not many games cover real issues. The Path was another indie game to hit hard on moral grays. Definitely the gaming world could use more.

It doesn't like he's trying to use the controversy for a cash cow like Rockstar has been known to do. Granted the game is all hype at the moment, but I wouldn't count them out yet. Indie developers have come a long way lately. Sure it might be a Duke Nukem Forever (DNF: Did Not Finish), or a Spore/Fable (Just doesn't do what it says it will.), or a Bionic Commando (Just plain suck.) But the same is true for EVERY game.

I say give them a chance. It's not in bad taste for using the setting, it'll be in bad taste depending how the pull the setting OFF. Considering they already removed nationality from it by using mercenaries instead of soldiers, it shows they are trying to make a STATEMENT more then a shock-value game.

My only worry is how much of a message can you get across if you meeting with politicians that supported the development of such a place in the first place? I just hope their message doesn't get lost in translation or otherwise completely censored.

(Which reminds me, what happened to the game... think it was called Six Days in Fallujah or something similar. It would make a good companion piece to this title.)

$0.02

15. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

i wonder if it'll have "don't drop the soap" mechanics.

jokes aside, it seems like many games/devs enjoy controversial settings for their games. PR boost?

16. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

This is nothing, it'll just be crappy game you have to earn points on GFWL to play, it'll be cheap isometric game that took a month to develop. The trailer looked like something from 10 years ago. Reminded me a bit of the intro to the game Tropico, it was that dated.

T-Enterprise just sounds like one of those dodgy businesses on the Dragons Den. You know the kind, a couple of blokes come in, early 30's, wearing sharp suits and sharper facial hair. Value the business at £8million, when all they really have is a website and a room above a chippy. Then get told to sod off because the dragons know they are taking the piss cos there isn't a business to invest in.

17. TedinVegas

TedinVegas What's a Dremel?

I guess it may be time to toss the ol' Xbox360 in the trash heap if this is the crap they're going to push now.

Tags: Add Tags