1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Haxing iThings? (iPod Touch 4g)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mister_Tad, 13 Sep 2016.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

My trusty iPod tough 4g that has been living its life as a dedicated Sonos remote for a good long time has gone kaput - not the hardware, just the issue that the Sonos app no longer works on iOS 6.x...

[​IMG]

Turdbags.

Knowing nothing of iThing hacking, is this salvageable? I'm guessing I'm not going to get iOS 7.x+ running on it through any means, but maybe some other means of getting a version of the Sonos app that still works, or something.

I've done some googling and there's nothing that really answers the question with any certainty I've come across - not looking for someone to put in the effort for me, but a confirmation that what I want is or isn't do-able by some means would be nice, so I don't spend three hours wasting my time with something was never going to work.

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Downgrade to the previous Sonos app?

3. Mister_Tad

Sadly not a goer.

Sonos 6.0 is the latest version available on iOS 6.x
    Sonos 6.4 is the latest version of Sonos, on all of the other phones, tablets, players and speakers
    The above is what happens when you try to get Sonos 6.0 to talk to a 6.4 system.

The only "option" is downgrading everything else to 6.3 and never upgrading, which ins't really an option to save this. Just kind of miffed that the device itself if perfectly capable of living its life as a dedicated remote, if not for planned obsolescence :/

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Get a new iPod?

5. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Jailbreak and install a lower version from Appcake or alternate app store?

6. wyx087

7. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Sonos 6.3 forever? Not sure I would go for that!

8. Mister_Tad

I think you may have missed the point here.

That's the issue though, it's the lower version of the Sonos app that won't talk to the latest version on the Sonos devices :/

Yeah, I had kind of reached the same conclusion. I thought I may have been on to a winner with some custom firmwares, but seems like they just add features of later versions, but are still based on 6.x and earlier.

The only thing I thought I could try would be to spoof the iOS version string and then be able to install the later Sonos app? I'm sure there are 100+ reasons that this wont work or break something, but the iPod is otherwise useless so all I'm losing out on is my time and effort if it doesn't work.

Rolling back to 6.3 isn't going to happen, not worth it for a remote that only gets used very occasionally.

There are some third party apps that appear to play nice on iOS 6.x, but they're all paid apps, and I'm going to take a punt and guess that they're not very good - other than my fringe use case here, I'm not sure why anyone would use anything other than the official Sonos remote ever?

9. wyx087

10. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Ah that's pants, I've heard of the spoofing but never tried it!

11. Mister_Tad

I think I'm going to give it a go. I fully expect failure, if not immediately then some point in the near future with subsequent Sonos updates, but worth a punt.

It really only needs to last for a few months, as I'm waiting for the Pixel XL with bated breath which would leave an iPhone 6 available (though gratuitous overkill it may be).

EDIT: Jailbroken without bricking. And now to... probably brick it.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2016
  12. Mister_Tad

No joy - the Sonos 6.4.1 app now pops up as available for update, but the update/install immediately fails :/