1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Help with Processor speeds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PaulJG, 8 Jan 2013.

1. PaulJG

PaulJG Minimodder

Watched a programme on tv last night (gadget show) - that's got me a little confused...

I'm running an i7 @ 3.2 ghz
    This dude was running an overclocked i5 @ 4.5 ghz

So as I'm using my system for mainly gaming.. does that mean his rig would run em faster? or would the extra cores notch up overall performance?? (not talking about graphics cards.. memory etc)

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

It would run certain programs faster (not all) but would probably not have an effect on gaming - most game performance is limited by the graphics card rather than the cpu. What games do you play mainly?

3. PaulJG

PaulJG Minimodder

Thanks for answering George.

Running an HD5970 at the mo.. working pretty good -although just starting to lag..
    BF3, AC3.. both of which use a fair bit of cpu processor power as well as grx grunt.

4. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

What i7 are you using?

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Was about to ask that myself - if you can run some monitoring software in the background it might help to know what's limiting your framerates. If your CPU is at 100% all the time then that might be an issue, if not then it's less likely to be that.

6. PaulJG

PaulJG Minimodder

The first generation.. (few years old now) not sure what it is - black special edition.. Doesn't even have usb 3 - so was thinking about a change.

7. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

The modern i5s at 4.5GHz do beat your older gen i7. Not more than 1-2FPS in games though.

8. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Extreme edition? Must be an i7-965 then.

Your friend likely has an i5-2500K (Sandy Bridge) or an i5-3570K (Ivy Bridge).

An upgrade would offer a performance improvement of around 10-20%.

9. PaulJG

PaulJG Minimodder

10. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Yeah, if it's like an i7 760 then a modern CPU would beat it. For example my i3 3220 will beat your i7 in a lot of circumstances. The upgrade is certainly worth it for all round computing. For just gaming though, a whole new cpu, motherboard etc isn't really worth it as you won't get many fps more. Your graphics card is still quite superior to a lot on the market at the moment as well.

11. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

You do know the speed isn't what makes it better?

I could overclock a core 2 quad to 4.0Ghz and it wouldn't be any better than a 3570k. Modern processors just perform tasks more effectively than older ones. Speed doesn't mean much in that respect.

Edit: Just looked at your choices. Both bundles are radically over priced seeing as they build it and overclock for you. Some of their hardware choices are ...odd. Teamgroup elite ram? I've not used teamgroup but I've heard that it just isn't as good as some other manufacturers. Corsair, Kingston or Gskill offer superior choices.

PaulJG likes this.
  12. PaulJG

PaulJG Minimodder

Yeap.. I know that memory/harddrive/grx card etc can tip the balance - just wanted something with a little more juice to last the next 4-5 years.

My old one, although still fast.. has taken quite a beating.

13. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

You would be better posting a

I have (£x) build me a gaming system.

And see what people come up with.
    Generally the systems recommended are very good :thumbup:

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2

14. PaulJG

PaulJG Minimodder

About £500.. only need motherboard, cpu and compatible memory - have the rest. Never done overclocking before tho, looks a little too techie for me with all those timing settings.

15. mm vr

Intel Core i5-3570K, Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H, 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz (low profile). Throw in an SSD too if you don't have one already.

Overclocking these new chips is really easy as you only have to raise the multiplier. For more than 4.2GHz or so you will probably want to set the core voltage manually as well. Timings are for the memory, and you can just leave them on automatic. :)

16. PaulJG

PaulJG Minimodder

Thankyou - will use that as a guide. Take it your saying an i5 clocked right over the more expensive i7?

17. mm vr

The i7-3770K is quite a lot more expensive for little gain. The only advantage with the i7 is hyperthreading, which is useless in games. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/701?vs=551

PaulJG likes this.
  18. PaulJG

PaulJG Minimodder

19. mm vr

Almost -- but I have a cheaper motherboard without the 'X', and low profile RAM. :)

Paying more than this will go into the "diminishing returns" zone, so you can't fully spend your £500.

20. PaulJG

PaulJG Minimodder

Thankyou. :)

Just might go for the CCL bundle as its already built/configured - that just leaves an SSD - oh man there's loads!