1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HighSpeed PC Tech Station

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 2 Mar 2006.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I like it. I remember seeing an ad for these in PC gamer at the back of the magazine, one of those little 1x1 inch ads. I built a case similair to it, except made from wood. I also relocated the motherboard to be on top of the case, it works far better there. Click below to see my verison.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/mattthegamer463/IM000355.jpg

It looks like crap, but it does its job decent.

3. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

Shame just a poor conclusion to something which good be very useful. Unfortunately most of us who change computer parts with the weather have the know-how to build one ourselves for a lot less than £100.

Hope they work out the flaws and knock the price down a little.... would be handy for a testing computer.

4. Hans Voralberg

Hans Voralberg What's a Dremel?

It's a bit harsh, the review. But i'll stick with table top and cardboard boxes for the moment :p Oh you forgot to add the link to this thread to the review.

5. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

To be honest, spend yourself $30 and get a big panel of MDF, threaded rods and knurled nuts. Buy a $10 case, and steal HDD/Optical racks from it. Place them below. Then, drill out ATX mounting holes above, place nuts face down so the small part sticks up, and drop mobo on. Assemble other crap. Done.

6. customh

customh conflagration.

#1 agreed with tulatin, but i'll be fine with my cardboard boxes with psu off to the side and HDD too, works fine for any testing because most doesnt take long.

7. Tulatin

i started using my method there since it was WAY easier to move than having 32,000 cables strewn around.

8. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

the truth can sometimes hurt, I'm just glad bit-tech shows exactly what they thought instead of just trying to please a company

9. Hybr1d

Hybr1d Bаnned

I'll be stickin' to my Lian Li thankyou very much!

10. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

I agree a 100% the mobo should have been on top. They should make anther modle that is water cooling freindly with extra room for water cooling parts like pumps and res. THe extreme high end test that sites like Bit-tech do sometimes need top of the line products. So to have a station which you can easliy water cool the newest GPU for overclocking test will be great.

11. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

It's a great idea, and reading this has inspired me to possibly try and make one myself, as this is WAY too over-priced. You're getting a pile of plastic and screws, and 1/2 fans. No way is that worth that much.

12. mattthegamer463

I agree. Should be maybe 30 pounds tops.

13. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Its good that they do that.

I wonder what bigz has for a test setup?

14. Tulatin

I say us here at bit-tech design our own. With room for the beefiest of setups, watercooling and other shite too.

15. mattthegamer463

Yeah, we could make almost like a group collaborative project. A group of us should work on a design of one, with everything we want in it, then we can all build them. That would be a fun mini project, because they are fairly simple, dont require much for tools, and could be built in a weekend. Whos in?

16. Bilbo Fraggins

Bilbo Fraggins What's a Dremel?

Yeah, thats great. if you dont care what your computer looks like, and u dont mind the occasional dust ball that gets sucked into ur cards :p

17. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?

I agree with tulain initial comment. Most people who swap there components on the day to day have the know how to make one. And in re to Bilbo Fraggins comments, its a test system, its not meant to be running long enough to be able to suck up dust balls. And in re to mattthegamer, I think they done that with a mother board a while back.

18. mattthegamer463

Well obviously this wont be your kick ass gaming rig. Simply a testing rig, for funtion only, and maybe a bit of a conversation piece. As for dust balls, a few squirts of a compressed gas duster and that shouldnt be a problem.

19. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Too true. Back when I reviewed stuff, I was asked on almost any harsh review to reconsider my judgement.

I've been meaning to build my own for way too long, but just can't be bothered. And I'm not testing/changing stuff very often anymore, so it's barely an issue now.

meh g'dammit, forgot to hit the quote button again. :wallbash: :wallbash: above in regards to telling the truth and not what companies want to hear

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We always do. :)

Once lost, reputation is the hardest thing to regain. Harder than getting new products.

How much did my i-ghetto cost? Nothing

[​IMG]

Tags: Add Tags