1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU How long without a cooler before damage?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ramon Suey, 7 Nov 2012.

1. Ramon Suey

Ramon Suey What's a Dremel?

Quick and easy. Can I test a M/B and i3570 without a cooler - booting only into Bios. Will it overheat, if so how long? The reason I ask is that I am awaiting a new M/B (Gigabyte Sniper M3) and before I fit it, having just returned one dead. I want to test it works first of all. I intend using only 8Gb Samsung Green and the video output from the i3570 - is this OK?

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

How long, erm, about 0.00001 seconds.

DONT DO IT

3. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Not really. I would say you only have a few seconds before you start seeing smoke.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

As others have said don't do it.

Mind you I accidentally fired up a pc with an AMD X2 without the cooler in place and it took a few seconds for the penny to drop regarding what I'd done and a second longer to hit the psu off switch. The cpu heatspreader was barely even warm to the touch.

When I mentioned this on the forums a while back I was informed that the thermal cut off would kick in before the chip fried anyways.

5. Deders

Deders Modder

Do you have a cooler you can hold onto the cpu while you work, so long as you don't do anything intensive you should be ok with this. Since CPU's started clocking themselves down they tend to be a lot cooler

We flash bios's and test boards quite a bit with this method, it only tends to be the pre 64-bit cpu's that heat up significantly.

6. Ramon Suey

0.00001 seconds doesn't give me very long! I found it easier putting the cooler (Xigmatek) backplate on when in the M/B was in the case. I understand the Intel stock cooler is awkward to remove. Thanks Deders for the suggestion.

7. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Not at all. You just rotate the four pins by 90º counterclockwise and they might pop out on their own. If not, just pull gently on them. That's all.

8. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

if it's only for a minute, you could use any old heatsink (from a mobo, old cpu, etc) or even a large chunk of metal, just be carful not to short anything out.

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Why don't you use the stock cooler in meantime ?

10. rollo

rollo Modder

If you do try this id recommend you stand by with a fire extinguisher and a video camera.

1 is for the fire you put out and the 2nd is for the you tube video that we all want to see.

11. faugusztin

Wasted time. You could turn CPU into smoke only with a very old AMD CPU's. Intel even in those early '00s had a overheating protection, and still has. The only thing you can capture on camera with a Intel CPU without cooler is your computer turning itself off very quickly.

12. Ramon Suey

Thanks for all your contributions. I do propose to test the M/B out of the case putting in on a cardboard box. I will use the stock cooler for the test. I have watched the removal on Youtube and it does seem easy enough (I didn't use the stock cooler on my previous build (who does?). Clearly without cooling, the CPU won't stay on long enough (assuming it doesn't fry) for the M/B to boot into EFI. When I receive the replacement M/B from Amazon, I will report the outcome.

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Everyone in this thread is wrong.

Of course you can use a CPU without a heatsink, you will just need a large container of chilled water that you must steadily pour over the exposed die whilst power is on, thereby negating the need for a metal-based thermal solution.

If anyone actually follows this advice, they deserve the financial/electric shock they will receive, as well as an honorary Darwin award. Use a HSF & stay safe kids.

Kiliv likes this.
  14. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

No, I mean, your right, my system is watercooled so I have a hose from the garden that just pours water straight onto the CPU die.

15. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

-.-

/This Thread

You can probably check it posts, if you leave it on for longer than that the CPU will hits it's overheat protection limit and it will shut off again.

16. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

For extra points, place your index finger on the die to see why a heatsink is really rather important.

Quadruple points if you replace the finger with any part of your manhood.

17. Dudey109

Dudey109 Minimodder

18. faugusztin

The last AMD CPU models to die from heat were about a decade ago :

Intel had overheat protection even then, AMD joined not long after the video above was created and published on Tomshardware.

In short - the only way you can currently kill a CPU is overvolting it, or physically destroying it.

19. Deders

Deders Modder

Like I said before, when we do lots of bios updates in a row for modern motherboards, we tend to just hold a heatsink on the cpu for old times sake, they barely even get warm at this stage. If booting into windows it might be a different story.

20. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

CPUs barely get warm because they have heatsinks on them, LOL

From the instant you power on your system, the CPU is getting voltage and current and needs to be cooled by a heatsink.

/thread