1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other How often do you turn off your PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheMusician, 27 Oct 2009.

?

How often do you turn off your PC?

1. Daily

67.7%
  2. Weekly

8.4%
  3. Bi- or Tri-weekly

3.2%
  4. Monthly

7.1%
  5. Longer

13.5%
  1. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Off when i go to bed, on when I get home

sub 20-second Windows 7 +SSD boot times Cheesecake

2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

This:D

Sam

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

sub 20s for me also, but my Asus board somehow wants 40s to go through its POST. first 25s is spent fan spinning full speed, with "CHECK MEMORY" LED lit. guess that's the disadvantage of having too much RAM :p

there are also the amount of time your component is expected to work. eg, fans usually have the lowest, and then there's water cooling.

so might as well turn it off, the heat expansion/contraction of components in a heating/cooling cycle is tiny, and unless you are in the Arctic with 5Ghz overclock, it won't be a problem.

4. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I've got a 70gb Raptor as my main and 2gb of ram. Takes about a minute to boot up on my pc (XP). Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I turn my pc off whenever I'm not using it. I can't understand how some people leave it on just for the sake of not having to boot up. Talk about wasting. I'm not anal about turning everything off at the mains, but leaving a pc on if it's not doing anything for you is just nuts. I suspect if this was an american forum the majority of members would be asking 'where's the 'never' option?'.

5. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

picked longer my self as i use my server and pc for folding on (6x9800GX2 cards and 2 quads folding and an aircon that comes to life every 10-60 mins if it gets to 26c that is) got about £100 of power running there per month (need to vent the heat out of my room lose the aircon then)

6. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I torrent during the night so that my roommates can use the internet during the day. No point in being an internet hog.

7. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Nah, my parents can worry about that :)
    Then next year I'll be living in halls of residence, with a flat utilities fee :)
    Then I'll have an SSD and I can switch off properly.

I have never actually bothered testing it, but I bet the S3 power draw isn't that much anyway. In theory it's only the RAM that's getting powered.

8. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Sub 20 second boot time for me on an IDE hard drive, How I hear you cry? Ubuntu 9.04 is why my friend :D:D:D

But anyway, I turn off my computer every night if I'm not downloading and not using it.

9. livesabitch

livesabitch life is what you make it!

mine is never off!!!!!!!

10. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

main rig is on pretty much 24/7 folding but that will have to change coming into summer :(
    and my linux server has currently been up for 78 days. would be longer if not for HDD failures...

11. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

My main rig only ever gets restarted for updates, etc. Living room PC switches on and off on demand.

12. steleet

steleet Did he death?

I never turn mine off, other then restarts. Although it's been off for almost 3 months now. I'm deployed I miss my rig!

13. icutebluezone

icutebluezone The meaning of life is to MOD

I hardly ever turn mine off maybe 3 or 4 days a month mainly for updates or a new program installed. Just put it into sleep mode at night if im not downloading or encoding.

14. Akava

Akava Lurking...

I don't need mine running all the time, just can't justify it running for no reason, so unless I am downloading large updates and have to go out its not on unless I'm at it; waiting less than a minute for it to boot really isn't that bad.

15. hardtailstar

hardtailstar "insert title here"

off when i go to bed, on when i get up,

it goes off at nite cos my bed is right next to my pc and i cant sleep with it humming all night.

16. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

when i was in halls i forget the machine had an off function! lol!

Computers dont mind being on for long periods of time at all, what kills them is on/off cycling in a short time frame.

i.e on/repeated every 5min for a whole day would eventully cause something to give, most likely the PSU.

17. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Goes off every night, comes on again when I get back from lectures; the laptop comes on at the beginning of lectures and goes off again when it and the desktop are finished synchronising.

Why leave it on to avoid boot? There are 86,400 seconds in a day, surely you can spare 40-100 booting to avoid the total waste of leaving it running endlessly? Servers are obviously excused...

18. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

server monthly (runs websites etc.)
    others daily (except on a rare occasion)

19. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

:duh:

20. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Home Server/Data Storage/Downloader:
    CPU: Pentium D
    RAM: 1GB
    HDD: 4x 250gb (Upgrade next month :) )
    Uptime: Rebooted Once a week for updates, normally Automatic 4am Monday Morning.

Web Server/Game Server:
    CPU: Athlon X2
    RAM: 1GB
    HDD: 1 x 160GB
    Uptime: Can't remember rebooting it.

Main Rig:
    CPU: Core i7 920
    RAM: 6GB
    HDD: 2x 500GB Raid 0
    Uptime: Shut off Nightly

I guess it's what you use it for, my servers draw less than 1amp from the wall.. my main rig draws a lot more.. so it depends really, my main rig stays on overnight for steam updates etc.