1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide How to run your mini-fridge from a PSU

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DaSuperFly, 27 Jul 2003.

1. DaSuperFly

DaSuperFly What's a Dremel?

This is a very simple and straight forward mod.
    To complete you'll need need:

- Soldering iron + heatshrink or a junction box
    - A molex splitter
    - A paperclip :D

[​IMG]

First get your molex splitter and cut the red and one black wire off.
    Next you get the original AC to DC adaptor and cut off the plug that goes to fridge leaving a decent amount of wire attached.
    Now to get the fridge working we need to connect the wires from the fridge plug to the molex correctly. If you take a look at the wire from the plug you can see that one side has dashed white lines on it; this wire must be connected to the yellow wire and the plain black wire must be connected to the black wire.
    This can be done using a soldering iron or junction box.

[​IMG]

Next get your victim PSU and a paper clip and connect the green wire with any black wire.
    This allows the PSU to be turned without a computer.

[​IMG]

You don't have to hide your PSU but if you do a shoebox does a great job :D

[​IMG]

Finally plug in your PSU and connect the plug to the fridge. I've changed the fan in my fridge and have connected it directly to the PSU. You don't have to do this as it's easy to connect the fan to the fridge circuit but I'm thinking of adding a fan mate later on to run it silently.

Well there you go a very simple but effective mod :lol:

2. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

:thumb:

Shall post pics with the quad-LED fan running at the full 12V when I've done it :D

3. MilitantB0b

MilitantB0b What's a Dremel?

I have onlt one question:
    Do you think if you took the outer shell of that thing you could fit it in a full tower? :naughty:

4. Sid

Sid Banned

How many watts does it draw?

Round of applause for anyone that manages to rip the fridge apart a bit and use it to aid cpu cooling.

5. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

But you have to be able to store beveges... Hmm, how about a food themed case with a fridge, and coffee maker? Maybe even a microwave, but that would be a bit difficult to add in....

L J

6. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Why take the fridge to the computer when you cold take the computer to the fridge....

7. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

i spent weeks, nay months looking for a fridge to fit inside a tower case, i couldnt find one for mine, so i gave up and built one, given that im building a cube styled case i could have saved myself a lot of trouble, but its still different :)

8. DaSuperFly

You could probably fit it in easily if you removed the plastic shell.
    It draws around 36W so i doubt it'd do much good for cooling a cpu! However as a chiller it's very handy. :D

9. MilitantB0b

Nice to know. I have yet to shuck my mini-fridge, so I don't know if it will fit or not. The one I am looking at is smaller and can heat things as well. Just wish they made microwaves that size.

10. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

build a rez out of it and chill yer cooling juices.or better yet, build a rez in it, and put the power on a thermally activated switch. cpu hits 40c, kick on the chill. or whatever.

11. MilitantB0b

I was just going to put beverages in it. Maybe a snickers bar or something. :D

One other question. I started pealing the layers of protective plastic of mine and I noticed an exhaust fan and heatsink on the back of it. I didn't feel much heat comming off it, so I assume it won't heat up my case, but just in case I am looking into a way to have that exhaust fan blowing outside my case.

12. DaSuperFly

He he, if you turn off the fan the back heatsink gets pretty hot :D
    As for cooling a reservior, I suppose you could but it takes 10 hours to reach max cooling but on a 24/7 rig that should be fine. I think it's best used for beer IMHO :p

13. MilitantB0b

Watercooling? :idea:

14. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

nice one :) thanks alot! i request and i get :D:D much appreciated :)

:dremel: :dremel: :dremel:

15. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

I'm trying to work out a way to integrate it, or at least its power source, with my PC60, I suppose I could run one molex out of the case into the fridge but then my computer would have to be on whenever I wanted a cold Coke :D It's a plan for the future I think ;)

16. RaptorRed

RaptorRed What's a Dremel?

yeh there you could if you where so inclined overclock :rock: your fridge i believe that they use like about a 65w peltier you can get up to 220w at pclincs.co.uk but about 170w and thermalright slk900 HSF + 80mm *38mm delta screamer should do the job, still trying to convince my house mate to let me do that :hehe: :brrr: :rock: :brrr:

17. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

the plastic outer shell provide the insulataion that stops the warm air stealing all the coldness fomr the fridge, put a high heat output unit like a PC there and it will not work. i tried to run my custom built on outside and the heat from the air running through the HSF warmed the inside to 2C above the outside temperature. :(

18. Duronboy

Duronboy Minimodder

I take it you had issues about the Blistering hot standard psu with the fridge. Hehe... looks like a neet mod :D

19. DaSuperFly

Actually the circuit of the fridge has failed on me now so i've had to wire the peltier directly the PSU and now it cools even faster!!

20. m0nk3y

m0nk3y What's a Dremel?

I found one thats cool looking....

[​IMG]

linkage

Tags: