1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide How to run your mini-fridge from a PSU

Discussion in 'Modding' started by DaSuperFly, 27 Jul 2003.

1. flo

flo What's a Dremel?

If I understand correctly, you want to run your screen directly from the psu? I was talking to my friend about it and it depends how much power your monitor takes. I'm not sure about the psu I was using but it was a small 350 watt, I'm looking at the chart on an Antec( I won at a lan :D ) and at +12V it does 18A. The mini-fridge needs at least 3.6A at 12V. Therefore, the psu can easily run a minifridge.

So to figure out if you can run your screen directly from the computer's psu, you need to find out:
    1. First, if the screen even runs off of 12V (you can also get 7V or 5V out of a molex)
    2. How many A (amps) the screen needs
    3. And finally if your PSU can handle that much power

Just remember if you decide to run the mini-fridge or monitor or whatever from ONE psu, then make sure the computer has enough power left for itself :)

2. flo

flo What's a Dremel?

The fridge needs 12V DC, and a socket is AC, therefore you need to convert it and the fridge comes with a converter box/thing. So since it comes with that big box anyway, might as well just take it off and let the PSU do the converting which leaves you with just one cable. in addition gives you more molex plugs and power for your computer :clap:

3. Thunder_return

Thunder_return What's a Dremel?

Well, I guess I will have to find that sticker with the specs on.
    I removed it when painting the PSU.

4. cogitoergosum

cogitoergosum What's a Dremel?

I just have to add my 2 cents worth in here...

You guys are going on about mini fridges...well I am planning a pc in a chest freezer...you know the chest jobbies that open from the top and get down to zero! Now thats some cooling!

Also there is a chance I might be able to get a diesel powered refirgeration unit off of a 52' trailer. This thing can cool the trailer(all 52 feet of it with 8-10 foot ceilings and 6-8 foot width) down from room temp to -45 degrees Farenheit in ten to fifteen minutes! Now imagine that on a chest freezer thats mayber 6'x3'x4'. That would keep your comp cool!

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

*cough*
    obsessive cooling disorder
    *cough*

Yeah, that would be overclockers heaven if you have the space.

6. RaptorRed

RaptorRed What's a Dremel?

too many codensation issuses with whole comp in a subzero enviroment what you need is two direct die heads one for cpu and one for graphics card, if your serous about this you need to head on over too here

7. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

What if you just put beer in the fridge and put the fridge on you desk and just run it from the PSU, or just put the fridge stripped and inside to chill the air inside the case, i personally like somoes idea about building a comp inside the fridge, if u get a bigger one u could make the first full reffigerated shuttle, lol!! or just use it to keep beer cold and be done with it

:clap:

8. Mord

Mord What's a Dremel?

Dont these pielter mini fridges have a recomended usage of no more then 6-12 contiunous hours? And they arnt designed to contantly cope with heat, ala cpu, but to lower the tempratue and keep it low, sticking a motherboard in their wouldnt be a smart idea, besides you also got limited amount of air, condensation and wires to consider.

Im really intrested in overclocking the fridge itself, sticking in a massive pielter and fan and see what these babys can realy do :D.

9. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Saw a case with a working coffee maker built in once. Not sure where - I think it was a "Rig Of The Month" in Maximum PC, but I'm not positive. Was cool. (Or, actually, it was hot, not cool on the hotplate, but...... Sorry - that wasn't very funny and I know better. Anyway, the bad puns seem to just roll out when I'm tired. Won't happen again. I swear.)

10. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

lmao great disguise :hehe: noone will ever know... :naughty:

11. Ben '71 1200

Ben '71 1200 What's a Dremel?

I'm doing something similar to this with one of those portable CD/tape/radio things. So that we can play CDs in the bathroom without having 240v AC in the nice wet bathroom. The PSU will be hidden in the airing cupboard, the next room over.

12. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

Tags: