1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other How to speed up my computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by [KNIGHT], 24 Jan 2011.

1. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

And another thing...

Once you have a guaranteed clean system, change every single password you have ever typed using the PC that had the keylogger installed on it. Do not change them with that PC, even if you remove the entry from the registry. Do it on a clean system.

Whilst the legit version of the software doesn't appear to be malware (it looks like it is used by companies to monitor employees), there is a chance that malicious software utilises a hacked version of the software for nefarious purposes.

As the legit version of the software doesn't ring alarm bells with security companies, it is an ideal tool for non-legit purposes.

3. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Looks like Spybot: Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware are in order. I'd probably change your antivirus as it seems to have done a fairly naff job to allow a keylogger to exist.

About Spybot:
    1. Make sure you update everything before you begin.
    2. Then, make sure you have all of your browsers closed and run Immunize.
    3. Once everything is immunized, run Search and Destroy.
    4. Allow Search and Destroy to get rid of your temporary files and to do a boot time scan.

4. [KNIGHT]

[KNIGHT] What's a Dremel?

Ok. First ill do a complete format and reinstall windows.
    But another question. Does downloading stuff (like freeware and shareware) decease the performance of the computer even if they dont contain malware?

5. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Well, if you're gonna reformat, you may as well do it right and really make sure that everything is gone. DBAN seems appropriate in this instance. Burn the ISO to a CD and boot from the CD. Everything after that should be pretty self-explanatory.

6. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

No more than any other program. It is entirely dependant on the resources the individual program uses. There is no reason why share or freeware is any worse than just because they are free or share.

That said I only ever use programs that have been recommended by others and will get them from a reputable source.

7. [KNIGHT]

I thought of formatting with the windows 7 disk. its easy for me.

8. bladecs_04

bladecs_04 What's a Dremel?

i would say more ram. i also noticed that when i partitioned my hdd so that the os was on one partition and all my documents and programs are on the other that it seemed to speed up. other than that defraggler and ccleaner both free off the internet

9. Deders

Deders Modder

bladecs partitioning system is a good idea but I'd add an extra partition to seperate program files and data. The closer to the beginning of the disk the faster the data can be read/written so a good config would be OS/Progs/Data. that way all the files that don't demand the fastest disk space like video's/MP3's/documents etc won't take up space near the beginning, plus you can format the OS/Progs partitions without losing any valuable data.

I've written a guide in the 11th post of this thread for how to get windows to automatically install programs to a different location/partition

10. bladecs_04

bladecs_04 What's a Dremel?

thanks for the heads up the programs seem to be running alright at the moment but if i notice any slow down i will look into another partition.

11. [KNIGHT]

Deders i did not properly get what you said. Did u mean something like this?

Partitions
    C - OS
    D - programmes
    E - Data

12. Deders

Deders Modder

more like:

C OS
    D Progs
    E Data

The end of the disk is often only half the speed of the beginning

13. [KNIGHT]

Ok. ill keep that in mind when reinstalling. But i wont be able to install it today. Most probably tomorrow.
    And btw progs include the softwares and games, right?

14. Deders

Deders Modder

progs tend to be mostly software and games yes, sorry didn't realise English might not be your first language

15. [KNIGHT]

Its not English. I can understand English eventhough its my 2nd lang. But i was kind of confused whether to keep those important programmes in one partition (Ex. MS office, Web browsers) and games in another partition. Thats why i asked it.

16. Deders

Deders Modder

Ahh i see, I can't see any reason why you'd need to install Apps and games on seperate partitions, they all work as intended if you follow my guide

17. [KNIGHT]

ok. thx

18. [KNIGHT]

I have another doubt about the keylogger.

I have a pen drive in which i have some important files. Could the keylogger spread through the pen drive to the newly installed OS?

I thought of connecting the pen drive to another PC and get the important files and format the pen drive. But this would be useless if the keylogger spread to that PC too.

So what should i do?

19. Nutyy

Nutyy Widden Palettes

I once was infected by DRPU. Basically it flooded my HDD with random junk taking up tons of space. In a week my HDD went from half full to almost full and i hadn't downloaded anything! Check if your HDD is fuller than you thought then search for a file folder that suddenly has masses of data stored on it.

20. [KNIGHT]

No i didnt find anything like that. So still, does a keylogger spread through pen drives?