1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hows it all going my fellow folders?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by coolamasta, 8 Sep 2010.

1. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Hey all, hows it all going in here? Sorry not been on for a while life has been silly busy for me last few months with working away a lot, a new lady in my life and also building my track car! :cooldude:

Can see we are still going pretty well averaging 2.5-3 million per day as a team! :D also noticed a couple of new high producing PPD'ers which is sweet :thumb: Whats happened to your PPD James? The BT office melted with all that kit going? haha :worried:

Will try and catch up with the folding threads a bit again, all my folding kit is still going well and averaging 175,000 ish, not had any major issues and I have to say im well chuffed with my 3 x 9800GX2's, they have been folding away 24/7 for over a year solid now and have been rock stable with a mild overclock in an air-conned room. Still want to get me a 980x or 2 but absolutely no funds for that at the moment :(

Any new news or gossip in the folding world people? Will try and have a thread catchup I think as not tried the GPU3 client or anything yet although im quite impressed with some of the windows bigadv's PPD :D

Oh and if anyone is interested heres a few pics of many of my 420bhp Evo track toy which has been taking up all my time and money! (have thought about putting up a WIP thread of the build on Bit-tech but not sure if it would be peoples cup of tea!?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still plenty more work to come including a roll cage, race seats & harnesses and approx 550 BHP :rock:

Last edited: 8 Sep 2010
  2. fir3x

fir3x fir3x

Fanboy Alert Lol. I love your car.

Nothing big that i have seen in the folding world. If your machines have been up for a year you might want to update your F@H client

3. coolamasta

Haha cheers bud its a bl00dy money pit but when I drive it the smile and adrenaline sort of makes up for it lol :D

All my SMP clients are updated as I done them a couple months ago and all GPU's are on the GPU2 client at the moment, not sure if there are any advantages of running the GPU3 client on non DX11 cards (as I dont have any yet)??

4. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Welcome back mate :)

A combination of kit dying and the powers that be finally noticing how much kit I had squirreled away around the CPC/BT lab were the main cause. That said, I also took a big hit from Stanford pulling the Linux bigadv client, as the A3 client doesn't pull in anywhere near as many points on my 16-core and 24-core Xeon rigs.

5. zodac

zodac What's a Dremel?

You've gotta run the Windows SMP client through WINE then. :thumb:

6. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Good idea - I've tried used Wine though - how is it re performance and which distro is it best with?

7. zodac

zodac What's a Dremel?

Performance wise, we tried using WINE through Linux on a VMware on native Windows (I know) and the performance was almost the exact same as Windows. Definitely within the normal PPD fluctuations caused by background programs.

We were using Ubuntu, but a more streamlined Distro might give you a bit better PPD. ;)

8. 1Razor

1Razor Living life one day at a time....

Nice showing there coola but motors can be such a money drain.

We do however look forward to seeing you on Police Camera Action! HaHaHa.

Good to have you back with us again.

9. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Sounds good, does Wine come bundled with any distros these days or do you have to compile it yourself (I'm hopeless at doing that despite using Unix/Linux for decades)?

10. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

That is a sexy car :)

And its going slow just plodding along :(

11. One_Box

One_Box Folder of the month April 2012

In awe of your production rates coolamasta, do you have any idea how much your electricity bill is for your folding activities?

12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Fu*k folding, give us a project log on that evo!

13. zodac

zodac What's a Dremel?

Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine
    Works fine for Ubuntu; can't say about other distros. :lol:

14. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Cheers Zodac :thumb:

I'm out of the country for a week with Intel, but will give Ubuntu and Wine a try when I get back.

15. coolamasta

Cheers James, lol @ kit you had squirreled away, can imagine random heat sources all over the office haha, must have been dry as a desert in there on a hot day!! Thats crap about the PPD drop with the big core Xeon rigs though :( What version of windows are you running on them?

Yeah they are bit of a drain when you consider how much 'proper' uprated components cost (IE not Halfords tat) but once you got the speed/adrenaline bug its hard to shift and no you wont see me on Police Camera Action as I don't drive like a tool on the road, this is purely a track/sprint toy as I have a Golf GT TDi for everyday driving ;)

Cheers mate :thumb:

Well luckily for me as I run our site's IT department at work so I have 75% of my rigs in our air-con'd server room and just run a couple of i7's, a GTX295 & GTX260 at home and that pulls plenty of electric on its own, sod having the other i7, Q6600, various dual cores, 7 more GTX260's, 3 x 9800GX2's and a 9800GT at home, my electric meter would explode lol :waah:

LOL nah folding for a good cause is all good mate, just my main passion is fast cars, might see if theres somewhere on here I can chuck a build thread though :D

16. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

General would be a good place for folding, many car projects live in there

17. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Welcome back coola :)

18. coolamasta

Cheers mate, I didnt go anywhere PPD wise just not had time to hit the forums much :)
    You are soooo close to 100 million now, fair play mate what an achievement :thumb:

19. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

Now thats what i call a water cooling loop that radiator would cool a 980x awsumly only problem is finding a case big enough to house a car radiator let alone the rest of the parts lol welcome back coolamaster:D

20. coolamasta

Haha its an intercooler (cools air from the turbo) but I get what ya meant mate :)

Might be dropping in PPD soon chaps as we are moving buildings in work soon and not sure how much rack space I will be able to get my hands on in the new server room so might need to sell off all my existing kit and then work out what the most powerful hardware is I can fit into 2 x 4U rackmount chassis but will start a thread on that nearer the time... :(