1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HP switches to Windows 7 'by popular demand'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 21 Jan 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

And users of Windows 8(.1) will also be able to see the direct benefit of them through longer battery life on mobile devices, improved performance and the ability to run USB 3.0 devices with ease. Yes?

(Hint: making the rendering of 2D graphics five times faster means that the computer is finished with said rendering five times faster, meaning the CPU spends one-fifth of the previous time in a high-power active state and can drop to low-power mode quicker. Which means, shock horror, longer battery life on mobile devices, especially given that most mobile devices will be spending far more of their time rendering 2D stuff than 3D stuff. A direct benefit, no?)

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Depends on what device its running on and who's figures you believe.
    http://blog.laptopmag.com/tested-windows-7-beats-windows-8-in-battery-life-file-copy-more
    But I'm not really the one to answer that for other people, as my original question of "Seriously though when people roll out this innovation label what is it they are expecting ?" has so far only been thoroughly answer by your self, yet remains unanswered by other people like SexyHyde who originally stated ...
    Yet they refuse to say what they see as the innovations that 8.x bring to the table, instead preferring to make unhelpful and snide remarks.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

So, they showed that the Windows 8 Preview release, running without optimised vendor drivers, wasn't as efficient as the full, well established release of Windows 7 running with optimised vendor drivers on hardware specifically designed for Windows 7? Well, hold the front page!

Fancy trying that again, only this time with a Windows 8.1 certified system running optimised vendor drivers and the latest retail release of Windows 8.1 compared to an aftermarket install of Windows 7? Bet you'll see some dramatically different results. Go ahead, you can run the benchmark yourself. I'll wait here.
    That, Corky, is because they don't need to list them. I've already done that: I've listed the major Windows 8(.1) innovations, minus some major features - Modern UI and the latest DirectX - that you have chosen to exclude from your request. What do you gain from someone else listing exactly the same things?

4. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Again, another improvement that will not be perceived by the large majority of users as most users dont change OS in mobile devices.
    Someone who bought a pre-W8 OS mobile device will stick with that OS for the rest of the lifetime of the mobile device. When user changes to another mobile device with W8+ OS he might perceive the improvement, but will perceive it coming from the new mobile device and not from the OS.

5. Gareth Halfacree

An argument which covers Corky's claims of innovation in Windows 7 just as readily, no?

6. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

For me it has quicker boot up/shut down times, from what I've seen better slightly better performance overall, especially since my chip is an AMD one, has taskbars on both monitors (massive upgrade).

They're probably the main ones, I didn't do that much research before going for it though, and since it's a new build I can't directly compare my experience on W7 since the HW was different.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sorry but did i say 7 is better than 8 in terms of battery life ? Because i believe i said "Depends on what device its running on and who's figures you believe."
    Well if you insist, not that im the one trying to compare 7 and 8.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2057938/microsoft-apple-is-to-blame-for-reports-of-poor-windows-battery-life.html
    But as i keep saying I'm not the one disputing what you or other people see as being innovative about Windows 8.x. You have already stated that no matter how small or how much a change benefits you, you see it as an innovation, and that fine. Did i launch into post after post disputing your opinion? Or did i accept that your opinion differs from mine and move on?
    No you have listed what you see as an innovation, something that "make changes in something established" And as i have repeatedly said...
    Seriously though when people roll out this innovation label what is it they are expecting ?
    People role out this label all the time, claiming this and that isn't innovative and i would like people to explain what they expect when they use this term.

We have already established that you would be happy to call something innovative if a new product came out that was 1Mhz faster than the previous version, or if they change the name of a feature and added minimal technical improvements.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That argument seems a bit disingenious. Gareth has clearly argued that innovation is defined to mean a change made in something established by introducing something new, and that it is generally understood to bring an improvement. A 1Mhz hike does not constitute an innovation. What technical improvements are "minimal" is a subjective judgement.

I'm sorry, you are trying to compare battery life of different Microsoft OSs on a device that is not made for them? Might that be a factor to take into account? :confused:

What I would expect is a new and better way of doing things. Do I think that Windows 8 fits that bill? Faster boot: check. Less prone to crashes: check. Better integration with SkyDrive: check. Start Screen instead of Start Menu: check (yes, I know that others feel different, but this is my user experience). Better battery life: check. Allows for more versatile multi-function devices: check.

Now your mileage may vary, but I in Windows 8 I got what I expected by the word "innovation".

Last edited: 23 Jan 2014
  9. Gareth Halfacree

Is a MacBook a Windows 8.1-certified device? No, it is not. Try again, Corky, do.
    No, we haven't. We have, however, established your poor grasp of the English language, if you wish to descend to argumentum ad hominem.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sorry but how is it disingenious to state what i have stating all along in this thread, and that is asking "when people roll out this innovation label what is it they are expecting ?"

Yes Gareth has given the definition of innovation to mean change in something established by introducing something new, but frankly that seems a rather weak definition and hence why i drew attention to it by saying he would be happy with a 1Mhz hike.
    TBH I didn't put much effort into it. As i have already stated "Depends on what device its running on and who's figures you believe." I.e I'm not trying to get into a competition on who can prove what OS is better than the other.
    All I'm trying to do is find out what people like Phil Rhodes and SexyHyde mean when they use the term innovation, as this word seems to be bandied about all the time to either prove or disprove the newest thing is either great or useless.
    So in general, and putting aside your professed like of 8.x for a moment, the good points outweigh the bad I'm guessing. As for myself it's the other way around.
    As explained above I'm not the one trying to get into a competition on who can prove what OS is better than another, so didn't care much for taking your bait.
    And far from descending into argumentum ad hominem like you seem intent on trying to do (with childish statements about my poor grasp on the English language), i have constantly stated that I'm merely trying to clarify what people mean when they use the term "innovate" to either dis or bigup the latest tech.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Don't blame me: blame the English language. The word means what the word means, and if you want people to understand you it's a good idea to bear that in mind.
    Except I wouldn't, and at no point have I ever given that impression. Which is why I correctly highlighted your claim as a straw man based upon an ad hominem attack upon my person, coupled with the classic fallacy of reductio ad absurdum - to whit, taking my moderate position and suggesting that it is an extreme one wherein I would see any change, even to use your own words "if they change the name of a feature and added minimal technical improvements," as innovation.

Speeding something up by 500% is not equivalent to a clockspeed increase of 1MHz, nor a minimal technical improvement. On the contrary, it's incredibly impressive - it's the equivalent of Intel or AMD going live with a 20GHz processor tomorrow. Innovative, wouldn't you agree?

I noticed.
    Except that's exactly what you've been doing. You've roundly refused to accept any of the changes that came in Windows 8 as innovative, while avoiding defining what changes Windows 7 - your OS of choice - brought to the table in order to make you upgrade.
    You've been given several examples of what people mean when they say Windows 8 is innovative, both by myself and by Nexxo; I assume, however, that these are not enough for you?
    I give as I receive: you accuse me of thinking something as useless as a rebranding of an existing technology with a 1MHz speed boost is innovative, I point out that you have a terrible grasp of the English language. In the words of Hannibal Lector, "quid pro quo."

Don't ad hom me, and I won't ad hom you. It's really that simple.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So this coming patch Tuesday i can go around proclaiming Microsoft have innovated yet again.
    So you didn't say the following then ?
    Sorry, but do please point me to the post i made that is an ad hominem attack upon your person. Because i can point you to plenty of post where you claim i said things that i didn't, and outright attacked me.
    As i previously said if the %500 speed up effect very few people i wouldn't exactly call it impressive or an innovation, especially as no one ever said "Gosh rendering text sure is slow"
    Again putting words into my mouth. Do point me to the post that "roundly refused to accept any of the changes that came in Windows 8 as innovative"
    You would assume incorrectly then, because IIRC i actually said "OK i guess they would count as technical innovations, yes ?"
    No. You stated...
    Or are you going to say you didn't mean to emphasis Make changes in something established

13. Gareth Halfacree

No, you can't. Because that isn't what the word means.
    Are those my words? No, they're a dictionary definition. Did I place them there to bring your attention to your misunderstanding of the word 'innovate?' Yes, I did. Does that mean I see tiny incremental changes as innovative? No, because they're not 'new' - a part of the definition, you'll note.
    Here you go. The one I quoted earlier, in fact. You know, where you claim I believe something that I do not, because it makes your argument easier.
    Can you? Go on, then. Excluding the post where I ad hom you in response to the above, highlight cases where I have outright attacked you or claim you said things that you did not. Seriously. If there's a case where I have done that - through misunderstanding, I can assure you, as it's not something I deliberately do during a debate as it completely undermines my position - then I will offer you a heartfelt apology in each instance.
    And as has been pointed out to you several times, that makes no difference as to whether it is innovative or not. A 500% increase in 2D graphics rendering performance is a serious innovation in the field of 2D graphics rendering, but makes absolutely no difference to the field (hah!) of corn growing in Iowa. Likewise, an innovation that increases the corn yield possible by 500% is an innovation in the field of corn growing, but makes absolutely no difference to the field of 2D graphics rendering. This does not render either less innovative.
    This one. At least, that's how I read it. Seriously, go back and reread it with fresh eyes and tell me that isn't a blow-by-blow account of you claiming everything in my post is somehow not innovative?
    I absolutely meant to emphasise that, as it was the key part of the definition which you did not understand. You even admit that right here.
    So why are you still posting? You asked for what people think are innovations. You received a list of what people think are innovations. Where's the problem here?

Now, about that list of instances where I have attacked or misrepresented you?

Last edited: 23 Jan 2014
  14. Nexxo

If this coming Patch Tuesday Microsoft releases a patch that brings a significant improvement by doing things different from how they were done before, then yes, they can be said to have innovated.

A 1Mhz hike in CPU performance in itself is not an innovation. It is just a marginal improvement in existing affairs. But if that 1Mhz hike was, say, accompanied by a 20% reduction in TDP by using a new chip substrate or transistor technology, then it is an innovation. See the difference?

But according to the definition of the word, it is. And as Gareth explained, people will say: "Gosh, that battery lasts longer". As it does when CPUs can get tasks done more efficiently and drop back to idle quicker.

But OK, say we have this new enzyme therapy for patients with a rare gentic metabolic disorder that only 60 people in the UK suffer from, which reduces their symptoms and extends their life. It only affects very few people... Most of us won't notice it even exists. Innovative?

15. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

You don't have to go back to the stone age to know that new tech is generally a bit poop. It improves and can then become established and further refined. Just look at the XP to vista to 7. XP was the pinnacle of the technology it was based on. Vista was a rewrite and a bit pants. Windows 7 was a refinement and has become well established. The desktop on 8 is a further refinement. It introduced metro which is pants (outside of surface devices) 8.1 was a refinement and so the cycle continues

4k monitors had 30Hz refresh rates. The occulus had low res monitors etc etc.

Tech refreshes so quickly being old doesn't give such an advantage.

Lol!

16. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Damn it got juicy in here while I was gone.

Already done by Gareth, to a very fine degree too, I may add.

See my very first post when I defended innovation in Win 8, then stated I use Win 7, Ubuntu and Android.
    For me Win 8 is not suitable, all the things I know and admit it does better are negated by the longer time I spend in system navigation. They still innovated where they innovated, some people can navigate Win 8 quicker than Win 7, just because I can't doesn't mean they didn't innovate.

You may think my comments were snide and unhelpful, but I posted them with the intention of letting you know you were digging a hole for yourself. I was trying to be funny and HELPFUL. I'm sorry if my comments got you butthurt. I'd like to think maybe I was your true friend in this discussion, in that I was telling you to stop digging, everyone else gave you energy drinks and bigger spades.

You need them chopsticks yet?

17. Nexxo

You're absolutely right, and yet many people seem to forget this obvious pattern!

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So when i said...
    And you replied yes but without the great part, who is it that decides that its just new or a great new thing, you ?
    Because the word great would indicate a notable degree or newness, yet you say that isn't the case. So thusly i assume you would be happy with anything new, no matter how small.
    Nothing to do with making an argument easier, more to do with that's what you said (see above) you stated an innovation just has to be new, a 1Mhz bump is new is it not ?
    You mean when you claimed i said the following...
    Again who's setting this bar, you ? if the increase in 2D rendering was only %250 would you still call it an innovation, how about if it was only %100, %50 or %5 ?
    Well i apologise if that how it came across, as i wasn't intending to say they were not innovative. But that kinda highlights the point i have been trying to make, you see all the things you listed as innovations, while i maybe rather cack handedly called into question how truly innovative some of those thing are.
    I understand the meaning perfectly, but as explained above you seem to want to set this bar for how new or how much something has changed before we can claim its innovative at the exact definition of the word, I.e just something new.
    Because when i questioned if you meant some great new way of doing things, you said without the great, so it just needs to be a new way of doing things, a few tweak hear and there, a new name and its an innovation.
    You know you already covered this further up in your post, so i will just say see above.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Pardon? If something is new, then it hasn't been seen before; if something is great, it is an improvement on what was there before. Both are provable empirically.
    And that was your mistake. Remember: assumptions make an 'ass' out of 'u' and a guy called 'mptions.'
    No, it isn't. If I overclock my CPU by 10%, is the CPU new? No, it isn't. It's the same CPU as before, just running a bit faster. If Intel sells two CPUs which are identical at a silicon level, but one is running at 3.2GHz and the other binned at 3.4GHz, is that innovation? No: the faster CPU isn't new, it's just a better version of the slower CPU. Now, when Intel launched its tri-gate transistor technology, that was a great innovation: a change to an established way of making semiconductors which was both new and brought a measurable improvement. Does that make things clearer?
    But you did ask that. At least, that's how I interpreted the following question:
    Now, I read that as "what else [in the way of innovation] does 8.x bring to the table." Is that not the question you asked, and that I answered?
    Still waiting for you to provide references to "plenty of post" where I misrepresent or attack you. Hint: that wasn't one.
    The English language is setting the bar. If you come up with a novel way of doing something, it is innovative; if it improves upon that something, it is a good innovation; if it greatly improves upon something, it is a great innovation. Or are you saying that increasing something five-fold is not great? If I were, right now, to increase your bank balance by 500%, would you be arguing that I hadn't done a great thing - regardless of whether or not you previously considered your bank balance to be low?
    Apology accepted, and I apologise for misinterpreting the post.
    Oh. So you were saying they weren't innovative. One step forward, two steps back.
    No, you don't. If you did, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
    I'm not setting the bar anywhere; I'm just correcting your understanding of the word. Don't like it? Invent a new word which means what you want it to mean, or pick an existing word that is closer to your intended meaning - like 'overhaul,' perhaps.
    See? That proves you still don't understand. Changing something's name is not innovative. Making something slightly faster without fundamental revision is not innovative. Read the whole definition I provided.
    Except you still haven't answered it. As far as I'm concerned, the quid-pro-quo ad-hom aside, I have neither attacked nor misrepresented you at any time during this debate. I'm still waiting to be proved wrong there.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2014
  20. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I present to you, The Chork!

[​IMG]

Proper innovation, right there. :p