1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Human rights?

Discussion in 'General' started by Malvolio, 13 Jan 2005.

1. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

he should have told malf that he is smart.

fight the power!

2. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Google was my first thought too but I couldn't find jack about myself.
    Australian whitepages (just add a .au) don't have half the features of it's American counterpart. :shrug: Meh. Whocha gonna do?

Does this make me safer? Or just kept in the dark by a conspiratorial government hell bent on opressing the little people?

3. I'm_Not_A_Monster

hmmmm, the latter

4. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

I personally would not give out my full name (first and second) to anyopne over then phone unless i were sure that they were from a government authority. Only when i was personally in the company of another i would state my whole name as it is just courtecy and i am then personally liable for anything that i do.
    Your company shouldn't have to force you to state your whole name as it is putting you at risk from people with an unstable frame of mind if somthing goes wrong (and you shouldnt give your name if your not personally liable). I say see what happens, continue talks with your company and legal representation and if worse comes to worse get them in the same room.
    [side note] i wonder what info can be found out about me? Tony is me name and your not finding out the next bit unless you look at my profile. Agaist my normal rules but i feel that BT diserves to know who i am as i feel personally about what info/advice i give out[/side note]

5. empyrean

empyrean What's a Dremel?

Honestly they should assign aliases to their employees, it retains accountability while protecting security and safety concerns. Or just use employee numbers, as many companies I deal with do.

Insisting on giving out full, real names to every caller is appalling.

6. Malvolio

Malvolio .

You know what? I agree 100%. But... you have to remember that I deal with credit card numbers on a daily basis, and as such, to even get considered to be hired I had to pass a security clearance. Now, if I take the customers name, number, and address down, send them something illegal or do something of the sort, than my sole interaction with them has been thoroughly recorded by the systems that I work with. The customer is safe giving me any information that may be required in a business transaction.

So, I have to go through all these hoops and obstacles just to be privileged to speak to a customer, what does the customer have to go through? Umm... they press 18008887600, then push send...

Systems are in place to protect the customer, me giving out my last name or any other personally identifiable information is not protected, I am personally at risk giving it out. And by the way, 411.com has a wealth of information… A buddy of mine put his name into there, it brought up his last four addresses…

Oh, and Dad, I'm one of the best employee's you could ever want, but don't infringe upon my rights, otherwise I'm not very nice...

Anyway, I'm sure you're all wanting to know what happened. Basically, they're now scared of me. I walked into HR, got them to page my operations manager (my manager's manager), and handed him a five page document with direct quotes out of the Canadian Bill of Rights and the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act directly stating that anything that is identifies me as an individual and sets me apart from anybody else, than it is my right to refuse to divulge it. He thanked me, and stated he would arrange a meeting one hour later.

One hour later, in the meeting that lasted about an hour, I reviewed with him the entire document in full legal terms (you wouldn't believe how much I had to translate for him, how hard is it to understand "Personal information shall be protected by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information?"), and at the end, he finally stated to me "well, I got word this morning after I told the site manager about what you had brought up that if you oppose this rule, than you have the option to officially make up a pseudo last name."

I thanked him, shook his hand, and walked out. Half hour later, all of the managers had a meeting. After conversing with a few of the lower managers (like my former team-leader), the document I had provided was directly brought up, and was distributed.

Can you guess what? They're now handing out the forums to fill out.

If you ever call AT&T Wireless legacy customer care and get somebody with the last name Kailar, say hi ;)

Penski, I've been there 6 months, which when speaking in terms of an out-sourced call center, is pretty good (average churn time is about 4-6 months for my demographic).

7. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

I can guarantee you'll be the first name put on a list now if they ever cut down on their workforce. Un-ethical it may be, managers will hold grudges. They're going to think

"That weedy little snot can get the chop first."

Harsh but true.

8. penski

penski BodMod

i conCuR wITH the WELSh ONE.

It will be rEmembeRED and It WILl BE Used as a fulcRuM tO get rid Of you further DoWn tHE Line.

aND if your cuRrent manager plays golf with any other employeRS nEAR YOU...You wON'T GET A Job THEre eiTheR.

*N

9. I'm_Not_A_Monster

WhAt thE heLl diD yOU JuSt saY?

10. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Well. I would have asked if I could just have a psuedo last name right from the start. Glad you got it sorted, and yes. I can beleive that you'd get the chop first before of others from this incident.

and penski... wtf is with your typing??? got a plugin for winamp that blinks your caps lock key to the music?

11. penski

penski BodMod

Yes... :blush:

*n

12. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Privacy these days :rolleyes:

13. I'm_Not_A_Monster

caps lock keys these days :rolleyes:

:blush: i actually copy/pasted your post into notepad, and deleted all the lower cased letters. it didn't work so i pasted then deleted all the upper cased ones.

i thought you were sending a secret message :blush:

14. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

I'd send you an encoded message, but it would be a waste of my time and yours, so I'll just say:
    "You have no life!" :hehe:
    just messin with ya' ;) I thought it was at first, but thought "meh, I don't feel like copy + pasting right now..."

but anyways. malfoleo, by handing out forums (I assume you mean forms) do you mean that they are allowing everyone to use false last names?

15. I'm_Not_A_Monster

aS a CouRtEous man, i Would not Yell at yOU :D

how many other people thought that penski was coding?

16. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Yes, they are now allowing everybody to use false last names, but unfortunately they are denying a lot of people from utilizing their option for it. Basically what they are doing now is failing to advise people about the option, and causing delays in the approval of the submitted names. As well, in the Regina call center, the director himself has denied any possibility of obtaining such a last name. I've since forwarded my quotations to the entire management staff at that location. My quest is still not over...

Yes, and what about it? I would enjoy hearing your opinion on this matter. :)

as to you I’m_not_a_monster, i wouLd cOncisely agree and ValidatE that yelling in itself can Be UNNecessary, and Is nEver a good idea towardS other members.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2005
  17. I'm_Not_A_Monster

bunnies are so friggin' awesome! :rock:

an pygo, i hope you know i was kidding :)

what mostly made me think penski was sending a code was the word "fulcrum", that word isn't used that often, so i thought he was grasping for a coherent sentence that had the letters he needed.

damn my ninja-esque senses, they are both a blessing and a curse

18. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Well my point was simply that people don't have much privacy left these days and the fact that you are forced to give out your name to help a random stranger, which before you even know the problem or get to have an idea who he is your privacy is lost.

For example:

"Hello this is Andrew Davies , what is your problem?"

"Haha loser we just got yer name bye" *end*

I can see that happening and like someone else mentioning above, with a few searches on google and your identity is reveled and even location, if looked harder.

I think in this situtatoin you should get your lawyer to take action and if it doesn't work as planned find another. I wouldn't tolerate that if I was an employee, people higher up with power are pushing people around alot and I congratulate you with your bravery.

Wow... never thought I could type to intelligently and sensibly on a forum before LOL...

19. penski

penski BodMod

You don't speak to me that often ;)

*n

20. I'm_Not_A_Monster

except for possibly that one thread with the moustrap car design, i think that was the first time "fulcrum" was used.

extra points for penski for using the word of the day :thumb: