1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant I am getting old or are motorbikes getting louder?

Discussion in 'General' started by Boscoe, 23 Sep 2020.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I don't think they're getting louder.

As has been stated there are antisocial people with needlessly loud vehicles of the 2 and 4 wheeled variety.

My MG Midget has a road legal sporty sounding stainless exhaust, louder than a standard setup and I love the sound of s good bike or V8.

What I really don't like is my neighbour 3 doors down starting his Harley that has thunderously loud exhausts on a Sunday before 8am, that's just antisocial.

If he cracks it open it is not enjoyable, just intrusive.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah agree with Tre. They aren't getting louder, but more people seem to have the really obnoxious ones.

It annoys the piss out of me because the guy across from mum has one, and he will start the effing thing and leave it running for 30 minutes before he goes out on it. Meaning it usually wakes me up, even with my ear plugs in. On a Sunday morning too, tosser.

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

A common theme seems to be the 'revs it for 30 minutes before setting off'. Is this to warm up the engine or something?

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Is there Euro 6 for motorbikes?

Modern Euro 6 diesels are vastly cleaner than previous regulations.

Does motorbikes have much worse engine oil system?

I get in my Euro 5 dirty diesel and all the cars I've ever had: I start the engine when I'm ready and I drive away imminently. Spending as little time unnecessarily idling the engine.

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I doubt it with a modern engine. He is probably just an inconsiderate dick like most of the people who ride such bikes.

wyx087 likes this.
  6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

A very quick google seems to suggest that you should let the engine idle for 30 seconds or so before setting off. To be fair, this is about the amount of time it takes me to check that the bluetooth is working etc.

I've noticed that my hedge trimmer seems a lot happier if I do a few revs before commencing gardening.

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Well, yes, the engine needs a minute to get oil moving around - it has to build some pressure to get good flow over the cams. But if you haven't got good oil pressure between starting the engine and moving, you're probably going to have other problems pretty quickly on modern engines. Modern in the sense that they're newer than 1995.

But I don't believe anyone needs to rev the dick off their motor vehicle for five minutes, ten minutes, thirty, whatever.

Pete J and Arboreal like this.
  8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I tend to leave my bike idling before I go anywhere. Longer than I used to in the Before Times: I'm not riding it regularly so the battery isn't getting charged up as often as it used to.

Plus the engine management system tends to take a few moments before settling on an appropriate idle speed so I like to let it do its thing (it's constantly sampling RPM, airflow, etc in order to adjust in real-time to the conditions). In fact I'm pretty sure the owner's manual tells you to leave it idling before you pull away.

pete*, Pete J and Arboreal like this.