1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding I did a wind tunnel!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ModSquid, 14 Jun 2020.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I sincerely doubt this constitutes a mod, but thought I'd share it regardless. Lockdown has either driven my creativity or madness:

tunnel4.jpg

It actually has an additional fan in the middle now, as it wouldn't fit in the slot with the two rads at ninety degrees, so had to add the extra space in order to have them at 180 degrees (pipes from rad wouldn't bend round the other rad enough). Motivation - only had one spare fan mount to fit the two rads in. No idea how it will perform but I'm guessing air just flows...:worried:

Here's a thing though, since knocking this farcical beast up, I've now got hold of a 2x140mm Corsair cooler I could fit in the roof, lose the rear 120mm and use the 200mm exhaust in the kid's build. Reckon any better? Versus grief involved?

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Not sure how mad you're willing to go, but they look the tubes that will fit snuggly in a 10mmID tubing. You could go 120 in front, 120 rear, 280 roof and plumb them all together.

I did a mod where I plumbed a nb block into an Antec kuhler 620. If you leave a piece of that pipe on the barbs you can fit 13/10 over it, secure it with a hose clamp and you're good to go. You could even probably just pull that tubing off and reattach, but I'd still use a hose clamp to be sure.

Maybe go CPU block to 280 to rear 120 to gpu1 to gpu 2 to front rad to CPU block.

3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I need to re-read and think about this (after less gin in the sun). I'm guessing the downside is I'll screw my kit if I do it wrong (obviously). I've been put off of full w/c only because of a) cost and b) apparently-required regular flushing and maintenance. I currently waste so much time on trivial kit issues I could so easily avoid that to me, a "proper" w/c setup would just be asking for it.

Do you reckon I could just cut and reattach hoses and not have to flush/maintain etc.?

I did like your linked thread though, specifically this:
    Fab!

Hold tight though - I've just reviewed my post and seen the "grief involved" bit. I think you've mis-read that as "I've got loads of spare time and an infinite budget to replace stuff" (although I do like your style). For clarity, plugging something into the wall is a big deal these days...!

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I recon you could just pull out and reattach hoses where you wanted, you'd need some way of filling it though. Not sure if there are fill ports on any of the rads or anywhere?

Watercooling is largely only a hassle when you make it a hassle. Fiddle with it too much, or use fancy pastel coolant without proper loop prep and your gonna have a bad time. If you just set it up and leave it it will rarely cause too many problems.

You could always just keep the 3 loops seperate and go front, roof and rear. Probably easier, less fun, but safer. lol

5. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Ah, good point. No fill ports whatsoever. I read the hassle you went through with your one and decided that's maybe for another day (projects piling up with alarming frequency). I haven't really got the space in there for a reservoir either, thinking about it.

I'll set the o/c up on the chip and then decide if I need to swap the H80 for the H110 or not. I just want the thing back in use at this stage!