1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs I don't deserve a happy Mass Effect 3 ending

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 27 Mar 2012.

1. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

hmm I didn't shoot mordin.. he went up an elevator and sacrificed himself in me3 to save the krogan

2. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

The mass effect 3 ending is lazy, nonsensical, trite and bitterly, bitterly disappointing regardless of any choices you made in any of the games.

After investing god knows how many hours in this trilogy I literally could not believe how awful it was.

When you experience the biggest anti climax in the galaxy you will realise how meaningless your article is.

This video sums it up perfectly *spoilers*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0Cf864P7E

Last edited: 27 Mar 2012
  3. Xir

Xir Modder

Your word in George Lucas's ear :D

4. josephlck

josephlck What's a Dremel?

OK. The ending was bad. But what really got to me was all the characters from ME2 got shafted! Of all the new characters in ME2 you get....

*minor spoilers*

EDI. Yay.

You don't even get Miranda, the hardest character to kill. Not to mention the numerous graphical bugs like the random guns Bioware decides to equip you and your companions with every cut scene, the disappearing rock with Tali, various clipping issues and getting stuck after talking to Joker for no apparent reason. Also, was I the only one who felt a bit cheap after getting the paramour achievement with Miranda?

I think the really sad thing is we were all expecting so much more and ME3, while a good game, just didn't deliver. ME2 is still my favourite from the series which a clear objective from start to finish with nice "logical" twists along the say and what I felt was some real character development.

5. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Urgh the Star Wars prequel thing (+additional changes for..well coz he 'felt like it').. don't, just don't. There is only so much failure one person can swallow.

6. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

The way i slice it, its a good ending, but not the ending I want. I mean if you get the perfect ending I want way more than whats given. Having it be virtually the same with the addition of one 8 second part does not make a good perfect ending. I want the better the ending, the more content to that ending.

7. denjerw

denjerw What's a Dremel?

As Kavafis in 'Ithaca' or Don Williams Jr. in his famous quote have suggested, our lessons come from the journey not the destination.

8. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Given how much negativity has been poured on the ending, I was incredibly pleasantly surprised when I finally finished it last night.

No, you were trying to stop the Reapers, at any cost. None of the ME games have been about trying to protect your own life: the fact you willingly fling yourself into repeated suicidal missions is testament to that. The fact you die at the end is immaterial next to the fact you successfully save the galaxy, which is the one and only priority across the three games.

9. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

I don't have any problem with Shepard dying at the end of ME3 (if that is really what happens - it's hard to tell). I actually expected it. The problem isn't that a sad ending is making people descend into a gibbering mess, it's that an ending that descended into a gibbering mess is making people sad.

10. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

I lost my ME2 save so I'm currently replaying that to get where I want to be at the start. I did start ME3 and was left with a few decisions where I would have preferred to find a third, less black and white option. I admit to having alienated a couple of races fairly early on which, in hindsight, may not have been the best idea.

11. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Hmm, I'm not so sure the galaxy was saved, all 3 endings result in all races being stranded (wherever they are) with the destruction of the gates (in the rainbow coloured explosion of your choice).

Earth is also pretty much fubar, with very few resources left to rebuild (not to mention several surviving alien fleets in orbit, which we would be unable to support and who now cannot get home unless they're willing to travel using FTL drives, which (I assume) would still take lifetimes).

*Note, I haven't played ME3 myself yet. I was waiting for the inevitable complete edition with all the DLC, but after the ending fallout....

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Not to mention that
    one, possibly two [depending on your choices] of those fleets can't eat any of the 'local' food [Turians/Quarians]

13. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

post from dawson14

I'm going to post a response I read on the Bioware Social forums that I think spells out my thoughts on this really well:

WALL OF TEXT incoming: Spoiler-tagged as much of it as I thought was needed...

14. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

Read a thought-provoking article on the ME "ending" recently which manages to capture how I feel about it all. It's long, but well worth it:

http://doycetesterman.com/index.php/2012/03/mass-effect-tolkein-and-your-********-artistic-process/

Fav quote:

15. josephlck

josephlck What's a Dremel?

I suppose we should have seen all that coming. The clues were already there in the war assets screen. If Bioware couldn't be bothered to produce at least slightly different still images for the different fleets of different races, no way where they going to make an FMV with them...

Also, throughout the first two games, every time you ask a reaper why they are doing this they tell you it is beyond your understanding yet God-Child does it in 3 minutes... Sounds like the real reason the reapers never answered in the first two games was that the writers hadn't thought of a reason yet!!

This clip about sums it up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b33tJx8iy0A

16. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I rather liked the ending.

Yes it left loose ends and yes it wasn't a happy ending but it made me think about many of the decisions I made along the way. A lot of the choices made through the 3 games were tied off nicely before the last hour and, as such, should also be considered to be part of the ending

I cannot think of any game series that has provoked as much thought about the decisions made than the Mass Effect series and that's a good thing.

17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Last edited: 29 Mar 2012
  18. Crunchy

Crunchy What's a Dremel?

Bro, Shepard was trying to stop the Reapers and making the actions you describe, *I* was trying not to die. :)
    Peace on your sentiment, tho. :)

19. Shayper09

Shayper09 Swimming in Deionized.

*AHEM* MC isn't dead ;)

Fortress world anyone?

20. evilpilch

evilpilch What's a Dremel?

Play as a woman. That's what I did. That way you have plausable deniability for being a bitch! (I jest of course.)

I did play as a woman though. I prefer to look at pretty things rather than some hairy bobbin' man-ass.

And that end is coherent. Don't believe the people who just don't get it. It's a lot more subtle than the vast majority of games. But then its nice to be finally treated with some intelligence. :)

Tags: Add Tags