1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice i5 or i7, overclocking advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr. Ducky, 25 Oct 2009.

1. Mr. Ducky

Mr. Ducky What's a Dremel?

Basically these are the items I already have:

1 TB Caviar black
    1TB Caviar green
    Noctua Cooler
    DVD drive
    Corsair TX750

I can't really decide between these 2 options:

1. i7 920, Gigabyte UD5, 6GB of Patriot memory

2. i5 750, Asus P7p55d. 4GB of Patriot memory

I was going to get an XFX 5850 for either build, is there a better deal, maybe the 5770?

My main question is, the i7 build would be about 300$ more than the i5, is it worth it? I plan on gaming and doing video encoding. I read the anandtech article about i5 mobos dying, I know Bindi said not to worry, but I'm still kinda nervous about going that route.

Also, I have no real idea about how to overclock, is it as simple as going into the BIOS and raising the CPU multiplier, do I have to adjust voltages? I was thinking of trying to get either CPU to 3.6 with the noctua, just wanna make sure its easy/safe.

Basically it comes down to is the i7 going to perform that much more than an i5, to warrant 300$ extra?

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I would go 920 anyway. Bigger memory footprint, you've spec'd a fuller fat "UD5" versus vanilla Asus board and you're doing video encoding so you'll benefit from 8 thread support on the i7.

You can get a Maximus III Gene, X58 UD4 or P6TD Deluxe for less and they're all just as good.

3.6 will be easy with a 920 d0 - it should do 4.0/200MHz bclk/1600MHz memory with not too much voltage. You cant raise the CPU multiplier, they are locked out, follow my i7 920 OC guide: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2008/11/06/overclocking-intel-core-i7-920/1.

5850 is certainly worth it over 5770, which is basically a glorified, DX11 "4890".

oatey4519 likes this.
  3. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

i7 920
    you won't regret it...

i asked the same question & got the same answer from the same man..
    now look at me... i love it

4. Mr. Ducky

Hey Bindi,

Thanks for your reply!

The hardest part right now is deciding what motherboard to get, I'm pretty much deciding between the:

Gigabyte UD5, P6T Deluxe v2, Gigabyte UD3 or the plain P6T

I wanna try overclocking, but am not gonna be hardcore about it, so I don't want to overpay for a board I'm not going to use to its full potential.

I know the UD3 and P6T Deluxe v2 were recommended in this month's buyer's guide, but I think I'm in the middle of the two, and I don't know which one to get. I could afford the P6T D v2, but just don't know if its worth it.

Also, for the 5850, does it matter what brand I get, I can choose between Saphire, XFX, MSI or powercolour, all within 5$ of each other.

BTW, how much does it cost to have Bindi fly over to canada to build this all for me, I'll pay in maple syrup :p

5. Carper

Carper Guru

The different brands for the 5850 dont really matter. Just go for the one with the most cables and the longest warranty. If your like me and have a window on your PC then maybe the best looking one.

As for bindi doing the build that's the best part! Enjoy every second of it while it lasts.

6. Mr. Ducky

plain P6T is 250$
    UD5 is 290
    P6T deluxe v2 is 310

/me rolls dice

btw Bindi, did you mean rampage 2 gene, because Maximus III is 1156?

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Asus P6T Deluxe :thumb:

This board has been flawless, fast, and cool for 9 months heavy use now.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

9. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

+1 for this board

10. Mr. Ducky

I have pretty much come down to deciding between 2 boards, the Asus P6T Deluxe v2 and the Gigabyte UD5.

Tbh, I like the look of the gigabyte one better, and it being 20$ cheaper doesn't hurt either.

Is there a huge difference between them, except for the fact that the p6t has been recommended in the buyer's guide :p

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Get the UD5 then :p Why not UD4P?

12. Mr. Ducky

NO Bindi, don't introduce another motherboard into my decision making :(

it took me so long to get it down to just 2!

If both the UD5 and P6t deluxe v2 are so similar, and the UD5 is cheaper, why is the p6t recommended in the buyer's guide :p

And when can I expect your flight to arrive once I have all the parts Bindi, this computer won't build itself :D

13. Mr. Ducky

14. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

did you consider the msi gd65 board as i have ordered that board with the i5. cheers

15. Carper

Carper Guru

I think hes getting the i7 920 which is on a different socket to the i5 and the new i7's. So it wouldnt work. Hows the mobo anyway?

16. Mr. Ducky

I haven't actually picked up the parts yet, they're sitting on hold until more of them come in.

I'm still swinging back and forth on the motherboard, and I'm hoping which ever one I get, the patriot ram will fit under the noctua cooler, but I'll make sure to post pics when I get it all built, which is looking like it might take a while, since the 5850 is on backorder :'(

17. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

oic, i havent got the board yet, im waiting for it and will install everything hopefully by the weekend, just need to order ram, looking for some cheap ones because there so expensive these days,. lol

but i read reviews on the gd65 board and every reviews says its awesome, so i cant hard. but just checked this deluxe board you guys are on about cost £200 so must be a awesome board.

also would you buy a gtx260 or a hd4890?
    just got instroduced to the xfx hd4890

http://www.dabs.com/products/xfx-ati-radeon-4890-hd-850mhz-1gb-ddr5-pci-express-dual-dvi-64TS.html

checked all the reviews and its says its direct competition with gtx 275, but not as good, but its better than the gtx260.

hmmm interesting......

18. Carper

Carper Guru

@Mr.Ducky if your getting the i7 920 D0 CPU make sure you get a motherboard with the 1366 socket.

@slambittech cheapest ram i have seen is this link and its very good stuff. The MSI GD65 is probably one of the best P55 boards out at the minute. As for the deluxe board there on about its for the 1366 socket so wouldnt work with the i5 CPU. Its very confusing but thats Intel for you. About the graphics cards have a look on here for some reviews on them and take a look at some benchmarks for them. Is there anyway you can afford one of the new ATI cards?

19. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I'm not questioning the better performance of the i7 920, but isn't the 1156 mobo route more 'future-proof'?

I'd like to know what people think on this 'cos I had been talking myself into ordering an i5 750 system tonight. I knew they'd be last minute revisions but wasn't expecting to bag myself a 920...

20. AngusW

AngusW mmm

Nah i'd say the 1366 socket is more future proof tbh with the new 6 core chips on the horizon. There probably gonna cost a LOT tho. Either way you go chances are if you get a nice oc you won't be needing to upgrade until theres yet another new socket out which pretty much gets rid of the future proof arguement.