1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News id Software leaves Activision, joins EA

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Jul 2008.

1. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

both from 2008, the activision press release thingy its sourced from has a blizzard logo at the top too :p

2. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

this doesnt mean no steam tho does it? ea publish half life 2 after all and that is actually made by valve. just because EA are physically publishing id games doesnt mean no downloadsi'd imagine

3. Rexxie

Rexxie What's a Dremel?

No. The developers make good games. I don't like EA and the way they shoot out game after game on the same franchise (battlefield and the like).
    Meh.
    I miss the days when there were a large number of publishers available.

4. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

if you read masters of doom carmack doesn't take ****, he won't be bullied by EA he does what he wants to do and quite happy to surgically cut people out where necessary. dunno if he's mellowed in the last few years though! carmack is the keystone part of iD. if he goes then iD pretty much sinks with him.

i don't think it'll be an entirely bad thing that iD goes with EA. confused as to why he dropped out with activision in the first place though, they've grown massively and can easily compete with EA. (though i don't think they're nearly as big though) i think EA publishes something like 40% of mainstream games or something silly

5. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

There isn't much between activision and ea, dunno who's on top though. By the way, is John Carmack still launching rockets?

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

They've distributed the console versions, they didn't publish the original PC version, nor do they have anything to do with Steam. The original was published by Vivendi, and Valve do Steam all by themselves.

7. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i hope this does not screw id software up.... i like those guys.

8. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

Man, Carmack looks like a major dork.

ID haven't made a great game in a decade, yawn. They have fallen big time from near the top of the development tree.

9. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

hmm, bad news, was looking forward to being able to download any future releases on Steam, as EA's digital download service is a joke.

10. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I thought EA ported and distributed the PS3 version.. Which Valve had almost nothing to do with.

11. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

thats true, because gabe thinks the ps3 is a waste of time

12. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

well, I'm glad ID was not bought by EA at least

13. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I don't know why he thinks that... It's not much different to the 360 really...

14. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

i wish i could of sued EA/dice for brakeing the servers and distroying the player base for Battlefield 2 (every 1.3 patch that comes from EA games seem to brake every thing so bad) the only resone i can think of is that thay wanted peeps to buy BF2142 (thats basicly an mod of BF2 even had the same servercrash as BF2 in beta)

even the PS3 BF badcompany (dice agane) is extra annoying when forming an team as it some times works and even then after the round ends you not 100% likey to end up on the same side, pressing X starts the join game instead of Asking you to confirm (faster to just reboot the PS3 then wait to quit the online game join that you cant stop)

15. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Ah come on, id have always been about the engines anyway, and on that respect they're almost single handedly responsbile for driving computer game graphics.

Only re-rendering what needs to be re-rendered, instead of the whole screen? id first.
    Texture mapping? id first.
    Light mapping? id first.
    Moving lights? id first.
    Coloured lights? id first.
    Formula based curves? id first.
    Per-pixel lighting? id first.
    Unique texturing? id first.

And that's just off the top of my head.

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

There goes another one...:blah:

With some luck, the current id projects wont be too affected.

17. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

You mean, 'the' dork.

And he sounds like one too. But that's why we love him: he's insanely good at what he does, i.e. refer to Bauul's list.. And then add a decade or two of development firsts.

18. deltaworld

deltaworld What's a Dremel?

I wish iD the best. A similar move happened with Crytek as they were with Ubisoft for Far Cry and then they decided not to renew their contract with them, I rumour heard that they fell out with Ubisoft over something. Now they have moved to EA as well for the release of Crysis. As far as I know, Ubisoft still own the Intellectual property of CryEngine and the franchise Far Cry so they are due to release Far Cry 2 sometime soon.

When Crytek moved to EA they rewrote the engine and named it CryEngine2 funnily enough.

Does this mean that we loose the Doom name Franchise and Quake franchise or do they take the names with them. I can't find any documentation that states this.

19. p3ri0d

p3ri0d What's a Dremel?

It'
    s just a publisher contract. It means that EA will publish their games, nothing more.

20. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

No no, id own everything they've ever done, people don't seem to realise just how autonomos id actually are. All the publsiher does with id games is stick them in the shops, do some advertising and take a little cut of the profit, that's all.

Tags: Add Tags