1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other If we MUST have reboots...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hrodwulf666, 6 Oct 2012.

1. Metaporic

Metaporic Minimodder

You mean like - http://www.baldursgate.com/?

Supposed to be both games seeing a remake/update. Not a full series reboot but certainly a start.

Personally Id like to see a remake or reboot of the original RS games. Sadly as long as Ubisoft owns the IP they will continue to strip it of all it was and make it as generic as possible. Just like they have done with Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon.

Apart from that id like to see Anachronax brought back to life, it had a excellent world and had a ton of potential.

2. Sviatoslav

Sviatoslav What's a Dremel?

Ground Control for sure + maybe, Fallout?

3. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

4. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I'd genuinely recommend trying out Wargame: European Escalation.

I loved Ground Control, it's up there in my top 5 RTS of all time. W:EE (*snigger*) is very, very tactical and you have to use your units correctly or they're gone for good.

The single-player and multi-player are slightly different beasts, but both are great fun.

Nothing more fun that having an astounding unit of MBTs in an elevated position with good recon spotting and annihilating an on-coming attack force and no losses of your own :D

5. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

I would like to see a new Homeworld game.

6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

The Legacy of Kain series get my vote, too. I'm not sure it would be able to avoid flopping, though; Defiance was already edging into franchise exploitation by rehashing the ingredients of the previous games without adding much, and the story is now an irreversibly mangled hairball that would be almost impossible to add to without inducing endless contradictions. They'd need to go somewhere else entirely in the timeline, introducing new characters and such, but I doubt they'd have the courage. Too much expectation has been piled on the series for them to dare to deviate from the formula.

A new unreal entry would be good, too. I liked Unreal 2. The gameplay itself was awful, but it was rich in concept, design and visuals (basically the opposite of Crysis, which had great gameplay but lacked story, design flair or a distinctive style).

Speaking of which, I'd like them to make Far Cry 2. Some people say they already did, but if so, I have erased the incident from my memory; they need to do it properly.

7. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

You guys should all get together and form a publishing company so you can make me all those games! Here's some that weren't mentioned:

1) Stunt Island 2
    If you have never heard of this game, you should really look it up! Check out Wikipedia I bet that has a description of it. It was an amazing game that would blow peoples minds if it was made today.

2) Betrayal At Krondor 3 (or 4 or whatever).
    Imagine Skyrim but with a party and tactical turn based combat!

3) System Shock 3
    I think someone already mentioned this but deserves another mention - seeing as it's THE GREATEST FPS OF ALL TIME.

4) Syndicate 3
    Kind of like the new Xcom but real time not turns or pausing, and on huge maps with missions that need completing, and uber weaponry, stealing cars or ambulances or whatever.

5) Elite 3
    It's a crime this hasn't been made yet

6) SWAT 5
    The SWAT series was pretty cool! I would love a modern one with bigger locations, more weapons, more tactics, more creepy bad guys, more darkness moodiness, and more hardcore strategy.

7) Castles 3

8) Total Annihilation 2
    Planetary Annihilation looks promising but I'm not sure I like the idea of fighting on a globe. Forged Alliance is kinda like TA2, but either way, I want another new one of those types of games.

8. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Age of Empires 2
    Best. LAN. Game. Ever.

9. kissinger

kissinger Minimodder

A reboot is very different to a remake. I'd like to see a few remakes (e.g. FFVII), but I have no desire to see any 'reboots' at all.

10. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I'd go with Dune 2 (Dune 2000 was poo)

And also Syndicate done in the style of strategy Syndicate, not FPS Syndicate. OR at least Syndicate in the style of L4D as that's what the FPS shoulda been.

Also, Card Fighters Clash ;)

11. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Did you play the co-op at all?

12. Hrodwulf666

Hrodwulf666 Arse about tit master!

See, I don't think it is very different. I think its just terminology, Reboot is a more modern term for remake.

For example Robocop, the new film is a remake but has been referred to as a "reboot".
    The new Syndicate Remake or Reboot? Its the same thing...

13. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

+1 :thumb:

14. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

TBH if I were to reboot anything I'd reboot one of those games that had potential but didn't do well for whatever reason. Be it because it was rushed, developer hit a rocky patch or simply bit off more than they could chew.

Trying to recreate the 'magic', for lack of a better term, of a well-liked and successful game is almost always doomed to failure.